SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cbfromga

What would you do to makeover this kitchen?

cbfromga
15 years ago

This is my first post but I've been a reader for a while. I have recently moved and I have an all white kitchen built in 1997. I don't have the funds to rip out everything but here is what I plan to do so far:

Replace door and drawer fronts on existing cabinets.

Paint cabinets

SS cooktop, ovens and DW--already purchased.

Demo existing island and replace with 2 custom islands to include an additional 36" oven and a prep sink.

Replace countertops

Replace Backsplash and cabinet hardware

Add lighting

Kitchen is roughly 17 x 14 with 10 ft. ceilings.

I am currently working with a KD and a cabinet maker. My KD is pushing me towards green or taupe glazed paint on existing cabinets and chocolate brown or distressed black on islands.

I like green but, I am concerned that it is too trendy and will turn into the heap of the 70's avocado greens and golds. And I am concerned about the stark contrast between green and the white trim and windows.

I love creamy white and glazed kitchen cabinets but, I am concerned about combining that with the large windows and elaborate white trim in the kitchen which is throughout the rest of the house.

The kitchen opens to a breakfast area and keeping room so the trim connects with these rooms.

Here's some pics:

More pics and a layout at: http://s231.photobucket.com/albums/ee4/hoads7/Kitchen%20Photos/

I'm looking for any and all suggestions and advice.

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Photos

Comments (58)

• busybme
    15 years ago

That is a beautiful kitchen.

If it were mine, I would change the countertops (soapstone on the perimeter), paint the island and give it a different top...maybe butcherblock..to warm it up.

With your appliances updated, a new sink and faucet, knobs and lighting, you would have an entirely different look.

I even think it would be a shame to lose the arched cabinet over the cooktop. It obviously was custom crafted and is very attractive and unique, imo.

There was a thread here a couple weeks ago titled 'What makes a white kitchen work?' or something like that. I couldn't find it right now but I hope someone posts the link for you.

It looks to be a lovely space with excellant light, plentiful workspace and decent flow. What is it that you feel is lacking?

Sandy

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

Looks pretty nice to me - if it was mine I'd make much more modest changes than you have in mind - things to break up all the white.

At a minimum I'd change the white ovens and cooktop and probably the dishwasher since it has white trim - though I like the paneled fridge and DW over stainless. I'd also swap out the cabinet hardware, faucet and island counter.

At most I'd add all counters and backsplash to the above items.

Then I'd add some counter stools with color, some rugs and a few other colorful "accessories".

• Related Discussions

What would you do in this kitchen?

Q

Comments (47)
    Thanks KitchenKelly! Love your kitchen and the gray does look great along with the window painted white. I posted this here and on the kitchen forum and I am shocked at how many more responses I received here! You guys really are the best!!! I've enjoyed reading all the responses and looking at the mock ups - they really help with the visualization.
    ...See More

What do you think of my Kitchen Makeover??

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks Donna. X I've posted a new video called "DIY: Easy Home Decor Gift Idea" You might be interested! Here's the link: https://youtu.be/m6ccmwhwaY8
    ...See More

What would you do: budget kitchen remodel w/ golden oak cabinets?

Q

Comments (63)
    @Beth, first thanks for all your tips and ideas on the hardware. Good idea to mark them out and good to know that 4" is the min (they sell 3 and 3.5, which are cheaper, so I wondered if that would work. thanks) I know; You had a lot of good ideas on painting. Thank you. I am still waffling on what to do. I guess my concerns w/ the painted floors are the effort to do it and the maintenance (I have wear patterns on my front porch and the kitchen gets more traffic). Plus I want to limit my exposure to chemicals. FWIW, this morning I emailed my house painter to check his schedule if I choose to have him repaint the cabs. (he's a much better painter than I am) Painting would allow me to fix the placement of the holes on some of the cabs (currently, most of the cabs do not have holes). I could also put a cab to the left of the stove. And I made an appt next week with the interior designer who was going to help me pick finish materials etc with the big remodel....to get his opinion of a scaled-down remodel. i.e. how to make this house a better version of what it is without spending a ton of money since I may move in a few years....thanks for all your help! I don't want this to be all about $$$, but everything is so $$$ and I hate the idea of investing a lot of excessive $ that I won't get when I sell. (when my former realtor came over this summer, she kept saying "do what *you* want; do what makes you happy; you don't need to do anything to fix this house to sell it" etc). So I guess my dilemma: what can make it more live-able for me for the next few years. (but possibly longer? who knows?)
    ...See More

What would you do to our 20 year old kitchen?

Q

Comments (14)
    Thanks for all your thoughts. To make the kitchen larger we put two rooms together - a small then knotty pine den with a small galley kitchen plus a bit of corridor with a coat closet and it has worked out well. The 25-year-old Thermador range and the 20-year-old Subzero fridge are both fine both in looks and function. So it really is the cabinets and unfortunately "Freshen the wood" does not seem to be possible. The solid and veneered maple has a catalyzed varnish finish and it has worn away around most of the knobs (see photo). I tried the idea of knob backplates to hide this but the space at the side of the knobs is not big enough to accommodate those. I also many years ago contacted Mouser (the cabinet manufacturers) about redoing the varnish but they said they didn't do it and after these many years the color would have changed unevenly. We got a local varnish guy to redo the bit I am showing you in the photo and it didn't work as you can see. Since it is only the doors that are damaged I could change out the doors but since they are inset I imagine that would be very expensive. In answer to other questions/comments - all appreciated.... The soffit coming across from the vent hood is actually a support beam as that was the back wall of the original galley kitchen standard in 1930's center hall colonials - we have been in the house over 50 years and this is our second kitchen! Re. having a bench in the breakfast nook that is a good idea but that structure there with a granite top houses a radiator! Regarding the choice of the granite - I am a chemist by training and researched densities of granites as I was scared of staining and didn't want to have to keep sealing it. And the darker ones like ours came out the best in the tests and I had a chunk here testing with everything before deciding. I certainly never loved it but it went with the cabinets and recently I did actually think of having it repolished but had not thought of honing it. I know from TV shows that white quartz seems to be the thing for counters these days but my granite has been marvelous - I cut on it sometimes, put hot things on it etc and spill beet juice and it is not damaged in any way. I wonder if you can say that about the white quartz (is that an engineered stone made with resin and bits of stone?). I will try and do more research on someone who could finish the cabinets but catalyzed finishes I think are baked on but several coats of spray might do us. Next door neighbors had a painter revarnish their oak cabinets and in my opinion, they look too shiny and very dated. Any ideas of cabinet colors if we do go ahead with painting. Good idea to ask a realtor if it would be better left. We have updated all of the 4 bathrooms so that would be the only thing to do in the house. Many thanks for all the interest.
    ...See More
  • sarahnc
    15 years ago

Not sure what your style is but seems like you like SS so I would rip out that very traditional looking hood and put in an awesome chimney style SS on. Also changing the hardware, countertops and back splash will make a HUGE difference. The kitchen is cold, needs some warmth. I would take out the ceiling fan (ceiling fans in kitchens gross me out. Haha) And make the island a contrasting color. Maybe add some roman shades for color and softness.

• cosmo_nj
    15 years ago

Add me to the "don't change much" crowd -- you really just need to break up all that white. It is a really nice space. After thinking about it for 30 seconds, I think I would do the following:

1. soapstone counters
    2. undermounted silgranite sink and stainless faucet
    3. new backsplash in a warm, natural surface
    4. stainless appliances
    5. take out the cabinet over the cooktop and install a chimney-style hood
    6. how badly do you need upper cabinet storage? I'm not a fan of singleton corner cabinets and would probably take down the one in the corner (possibly install an open shelf there?)
    7. brushed stainless cabinet pulls

• scootermom
    15 years ago

I prefer the current layout to the one proposed. The proposed layout just seems like you'd be running circles around that kitchen trying to get things done -- at least, that's how it seems to me.

I think your kitchen's really nice and agree with those who recommend a change of countertops, some paint, and new hardware. Stainless apps if you're feeling flush. Is there a microwave oven in your kitchen?

• cbfromga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow! Thanx for all this feedback. I do believe the kitchen as is, is fine with just some minor tweaks but, this is a house we bought way under market that is in a high end neighborhood that sat on the market for 14 months. This kitchen is just not up to the value of the home or the neighborhood where $100,000+ kitchens are standard. So, I'm trying to make it look higher end on a budget of about $30,000.

I am not replacing any of the wall cabinets, just the doors and drawers. The cabinets are actually nice custom quality. I'm not a fan of the cathedral door style (no offense to anyone, I know they are popular) so, I'm looking to do some kind of door/drawer style as close to full overlay as possible. The cabinet makers are going to "fill in" the cathedral raised panels on the sides of the cabinets so with that, I can completely change the door style. I plan on doing inset doors/drawers on the islands.

I bought appliances at a store closing sale where stuff was flying out the door with great stuff 50-80% off so I had to make some quick decisions without a kitchen plan and much research on preferred products. I bought a Thermador 27" combined oven/microwave/warming drawer, Bosch dishwasher, Dacor 36" cooktop and 36" Wolf oven for around $6,000.

I needed another oven cause I like to cook and the 27" oven is insufficient for baking, etc.

I have the prep sink next to the refrigerator in the front island because I thought I might want to have it as an "entertainment/bar" sink in that island but interested in your feedback on this placement.

I don't like the current island shape or orientation. I just thought the space could handle 2 islands and I liked the idea of having a dedicated prep island and a "bar" island but, am interested in pros/cons of this arrangement.

Any more pics of green or taupe kitchen cabinets out there?

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Well in that case the additional oven makes sense. What I don't like about either your current layout or the proposed one is that you would be doing laps around an island from the sink to the frig when cooking, albeit a shorter lap with the broken up dual islands.

What if you put your 36" Wolf where your sink currently is and your sink, DW, trash in the interior island? You could then put one of those cool wavy trough sinks in your "entertainment/bar" island.

As far as your cabs(which I didn't comment on earlier), I think they look great, even though I am not generally speaking a fan of all white kitchens, but if you don't like them and can make them over inexpensively I'd do that.

• cosmo_nj
    15 years ago

Your appliance choices sound great (we love our new Bosch DW).

• sarahnc
    15 years ago

I don't like the cab style either so I can understand. I have one big island and really like it (rectangle). It is great for prep. Maybe you could do something two levels and put marble on one for baking...and the other could be for seating (if you want island seating). I'll be curious to see what you decide!

• minette99
    15 years ago

I agree with getting a nice range hood over the range. Also, some task lighting, pendants or a chandaliere or both. You can easily add color by changing the backsplash. I'd also like to see glass doors on that corner cabinet or maybe all uppers. Finally, I'd definitely go with soapstone counters and maybe marble island. With that kind of space, I'd definitely want some marble for baking!

Good luck, it's a wonderful space.

• User
    15 years ago

Leave the main cabinets AS IS! Really, they are more than fine! They're beautiful and very very current. And you have multiple people telling you this! Save the money you have designated towards new doors and drawers and spend it on beautiful soapstone counters. Door and drawer fronts are the MOST expensive part of a kitchen and replacing them can easily top buying all new cabinets.

I'd do the island in an espresso or distressed black with a marble or butcher block top and paint the walls a pale green or yellow if you want to introduce color. A colored island is very personal, and if you're doing this with thoughts of resale, skip going with color on anything personal.

Really, this is one very nice kitchen and doesn't need much of anything at all! Put your money somewhere else in the home after doing minimal tweaks.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Commenting only on the baking aspect and not the decor aspect, I also am dubious about the idea of two islands. I also like to bake. My island has a lowered baking center, which is just a 39" wide base cabinet made about 4" shorter than standard. It gives my island some visual interest, and more importantly its functionality ROCKS.

As for the decor, it sounds like you're objecting to the trendy-in-1997 aspect of the kitchen more than its functionality. I agree with those posters who've noted that you need some color and personality. I can't tell from your post whether you have a specific look in mind or just want to keep up with the Joneses of the neighborhood, but with the present economy I'd think long and hard about the latter. JMO.

• segbrown
    15 years ago

I agree with the others ... as much as you're going to spend on the original list, you might as well redo the whole thing.

Hardware, appliances, countertops, hood ... paint the island ... I'd probably leave the backsplash at first, and tear it out only if the other things don't help enough.

I will say that it's the whitest kitchen I've ever seen! That's just amazing!

• jakkom
    15 years ago

I'm not a traditionalist, but I agree with the majority here. That's a nice kitchen with just a bit too much white. Gorgeous floors, too.

The cab over the cooktop is very pretty but since I'm a rabid cook I hate downdraft vents, so it would be gone, gone, gone.

I agree that you could leave the cabs alone, put in a glorious new counter with handsome backsplash (that glossy white tile is like a hospital!) and maybe even some handsome new pulls. A double island would be very cool, and allow you to put in different color cabs. I don't normally like the two-color look, but I think in your kitchen it would be perfect.

Your kitchen is the reverse equivalent of the basic black cocktail dress - boring at first, but extraordinarily versatile in the hands of an expert.

• cbfromga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I looked into having a vent hood versus the current downdraft. The problem is, since the kitchen is located at the front of the house, the one contractor who looked at it thought it would be difficult and expensive to snake the vent pipe through the walls and attic to reach the back side of the roof but, maybe I need to get some more opinions because I would prefer to have a nice hood that reaches the ceiling.

Allright, you guys are really making me think whether I should change the door/drawer fronts. Thing is, it's the refinishing that is the most expensive--$9250 for 40 lin. ft. (I'm also refinishing cabinets in a butler's pantry and filling in and refinishing the side cathedral panels on all the upper wall cabinets).

Replacing the doors/drawers is an additional $2500. Worth it or not?

Either way, I intend to have a different door/drawer style on the island.

And, I'm rethinking 2 islands now.

• nuccia
    15 years ago

Since you like to cook, I feel that one bigger island would be more functional than two smaller ones. It is really wonderful to be able to spread out over one large area when you have a big project going on. Consider combining both islands into one larger island that included a prep sink and a lowered baking area (if you aren't tall. I made mine the same height because I'm used to it and my husband also enjoys kneading). The new island is also a great place to install large storage drawers, which are universally loved by everyone who has them. (read previous threads on this)

I also agree with most of the above comments: replace the arched cabinet with a wonderful hood; get rid of the corner upper cabinet to open the area up further; soften the cabinet color with a glaze; replace the backsplash and possibly the counters. I agree with your plan to replace the cathedral doors

• oruboris
    15 years ago

If you don't want to replace the countertop, I'd definetly paint those cabs.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

okay... I hope we get to see more of how this progresses... this is sure to be fun! and welcome!!

I think your current kitchen is as nice as many of the finished kitchens that show up on this board, BUT it is not to your taste, and it would seem a white kitchen is not your ideal. Having said that, if you changed out the counters and backsplash AND put on some new knobs, I think you'd reduce the Whiteness by A LOT.

Didn't read every response... not sure if someone else mentioned it, but have to say the shape of the island is what would bother me the most were it my kitchen. The windows on either side of the range create so much symmetry and then there is the island that breaks it in a way that is not pleasing to my eye. I would rather see a long rectangular island that plays off of the symmetry that you already have in place. I think this should also help the barrier island issue addressed by a previous poster.

What are the cabinets made of? Given how white they are, they sort of look like thermofoil... are they? Is there a brand name to the cabinets? Just wondering if so, if it would be an easy and possibly inexpensive replacement. Maybe not necessary though given that they are very presentable.

Looking forward to seeing how this progresses... keep posting!!

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    15 years ago

I love your current kitchen too but agree with proposed color changes - new counters, backsplash, etc. I am posting a link to a local faux artist who has a white kitchen that is first on her portfolio. The white cabinets were fauxed to look like a chestnut stain. I'm not proposing this option for you - but look at the visual difference it made to this kitchen. They also replaced the counters in this kitchen.

Maybe this will help you visualize a change in color to your existing cabinets so that you can keep them and save costs.

I personally think that doing a glaze treatment to your cabinets would give you a totally new look as well as adding color on the counters and backsplash and new appliances!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.acbymichelle.com/portfolio/arch.html

• redroze
    15 years ago

Hi and welcome! Forgive me if I'm repeating the other posts as I haven't read all of them.

And no, no, no way, would I recommend doing either green or taupe glaze cabinets for your kitchen. Especially not green, I think it would clash with your golden floors. I respectfully disagree with you going either of those routes. IF you were willing to stain your floors a brown colour, then I think green would look great. Not taupe though...your kitchen needs something classic and enduring given that you probably won't be moving anytime soon, n'est-ce pas?

I think you should do a creamy white on the perimeter, and a chocolate brown for the island. Those tall ceilings are just screaming for some type of light fixture and/or dramatic pendants over the island.

Change the hood, I don't like how the curve echoes the curve of the windows. Perhaps some type of faux stone hood, something dramatic as your kitchen can take it.

If you have the budget, replace the white appliances with a black gas cooktop and stainless steel ovens. I would panel the dishwasher and fridge the same as the cabinetry.

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

First, I agree 100% with lwo - try to make what you have work a while longer without making major changes. If you stay in the house, you'll learn stuff about how you might change the floor plan to suit yourself. If you're trying to upgrade it just to sell it, consider just doing the sink and counters.

Ok, well, you're probably not going to. I dunno if I would either if our positions were reversed.

Literally walk through making a meal in the proposed design, cause it seems like it would be a lotta work. If you thinking of running plumbing, put a prep sink in the island closest to the range. It would cut meal prep steps nearly in half. Maybe ask cabinet guy about mounting the 36" oven elsewhere (like under the cooktop).

..That arch cabinet - This is just my opinion and I ain't no decorating maven, but the cabinet is kinda goofy both functionally and esthetically. It actively takes away from the lovely window lines with its competing arch in a different scale. Would you consider a hood in its place?

Below is a pointer to reno_fan's kitchen where she glazed hard white cabinets with a soft brown and added warm browns in other ways. Countertops and glazing can do a lot.

Here is a link that might be useful: reno fan's first kitchen

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

Hi, thought I'd chime in.

I'm not a cathedral gal either. Amazing how that kind of detail can make it feel like it isn't right for you, huh? In the view you showed, there are only 6 uppers with the curved style. Maybe you could achieve a more "you" look by replacing only those in the style of your squared raised panels on the lowers?

My priorities in that kitchen would be:

1) new countertops. Depending on your style / lifestyle, i'd go with granite or soapstone. Warm, rich, with lots of depth.

2) your stainless appliances will be great.

3) I also would change that backsplash out in a new york minute. If you check the finished kitchen blogs or many posts here, you'll see how a backsplash can transform a kitchen. That one does nothing for you.

4) I dislike the shape of that island in your space. The overall feel of the kitchen with the moldings and high ceilings and floors is one of quality; the shape of that island to me feels very tract home. It seems very out of place. I'd go with something classic.

Minor stuff I'd do:

- new hardware. round white knobs? really? who thought that was a good idea?

- get rid of that ceiling fan. The placement is weird

- get some fab pendants for your new island.

- I'd ditch the curved cab over the cooktop and do something different. If you can't make the hood venting work, something else cool is in order there. That curve with the curve of the cathedral with the curve of the windows = way too matchy matchy.

And FWIW, that price to refinish seemed way way high for what you're getting. If it were me, i'd just do the new doors to match the white and make it beautiful with backsplash, counters, etc.

Good luck,

Anita

• jessie21
    15 years ago

I think the kitchen is beautiful, but agree that new countertops would make a huge difference.

One exception: what's with the mr. gloom head hovering over the cooktop? it looks like one big sad guy and feels like the worst sort of feng shui even tho I know nothing about it. i woudn't want that guy in my kitchen.....you are right to want to change that hood!!

• cuisinista
    15 years ago

re: Snow Blizzard kitchen: I agree with all your suggested changes. I really would need to know what the final look you are after is. What would be your fantasy kitchen if you could have it? You might not get all the way there, but if you head in the right direction you could get close. My opinion is that it could be a lot nicer but only you know what budget you can handle. That aside, I don't think in the situation you explained you can go wrong with resale or just enjoying the space every day. So if it were me, first thing all the doors, drawers, hood, corner cabinet and island go in that big blue metal box parked out in front of the house. New doors, drawers and hardware give you a clean slate for the style and finish you like. Filling in the side cabinet panels sounds like not a fully thought-out move because you are then stuck with the style of the existing door, or worse, your side panels won't match the new doors. Since the cost of a new side panel that would match the new doors is probably not much different, I question why the cabinet maker would suggest that. Maybe there are other issues you didn't mention.

One thing I do know is you're never going to get a 100k+ looking kitchen without doing some of these things. The cabinet boxes can be saved. I would replace the draw slides with Blum-motion doors and soft close hinges

I know this is a big problem but those windows really dominate the room and the space between them is small in proportion. I know that changing them is a big deal because of the continuity issue and budget issues, but maybe they can be incorporated in some way and a new hood would break it up somewhat. The wood floor will need to be refinished once you remove the island so a darker richer stain would be nice. Again this is only my opinion and not knowing what your taste is it's hard to get specific. Hope you find this useful.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

The windows are fabulous... and I agree... that is one very white kitchen. However, it comes down to budget. You can make it work with many of the suggestions referenced here. Personally, I'm not crazy about the door style but you can easily draw attention away from that. Those windows and trim are the first step. If the drawers/doors are thermafoil... well then perhaps replacing them would be advisable. Other then that. I'd stick to paint, hardware, stone, and a fabulous backsplash.

• gwent
    15 years ago

I agree with Jesse21 about "Mr. Gloomhead" (funny!) over the cooktop. It looks like a pricey item- perhaps you can Craiglist it or recycle it. In another location it could be an interesting focal point. Just too much in this location.

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

I looked into having a vent hood versus the current downdraft. The problem is, since the kitchen is located at the front of the house...

If you can go straight up then look at making the exhaust a roof feature. Depending on the style of your house, maybe a roof eyebrow? A chimney, a cupola, a fake skylight? Or perhaps something as simple as exhausting undereave?

Here is a link that might be useful: Chimney Pots

• chinchette
    15 years ago

This is an interesting post. I am wondering if the cabinets look different in person than they do on the photo. On the photo, the kitchen looks like an after photo on the garden web!

I'm really picky, but I could live with this kitchen the way it is. If the cabinets are thermofoil, I can see your point. Otherwise, I'd personally keep them. I don't mind the white appliances at all! However, I would change the venting if at all possible, and maybe the one over the cook top. I would add accessories. You could also hang things on the white backsplash, such as a large colorful ceramic plate, etc.

I don't like cathedral usually, but in this case, its such a mild cathedral that to me, its fine, given the state of the economy, I'd keep it. However, thats taking into account my personal economy. You might have a different situation, and be in a position where you don't have to compromise at all.

>>this is a house we bought way under market that is in a high end neighborhood that sat on the market for 14 months. This kitchen is just not up to the value of the home or the neighborhood where $100,000+ kitchens are standard.I don't want to be real negative, but if your house was on the market for 14 months, you probably bought it at market- current market. If similar houses in your neighborhood are currently selling for a lot more than your house, then you got it below market. I know that is not what you want to hear. 100K kitchens will no longer be the norm.

If you are thinking about resale, painted colored cabinets will not be classic and neutral like the white ones, and they will not make your kitchen look like a 100K kitchen.

• madeyna
    15 years ago

Is there anyone here that would be willing to photoshop this kitchen with a different back splash and wall color and countertops? If would be fun to see how it could look with just those changes.

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

I've got a different take from what most are suggesting:

With the exception of new hardware, I'd leave the cabinets as is (with your new appliances) BUT I'd change the color of the windows and the window trim in order to make them really pop. You've got a lot of windows there and it would make them really stand out and I think would totally eliminate the need to paint the cabinets. If they were the only white in the room, it would be fine.

Soapstone counters, new backsplash and sink and some color on the painted part of the walls and you'd have it made....

I wish somebody would photoshop the kitchen with the white cabs and just changing the windows and counters to a darker color.

• southern_2008
    15 years ago

I can't believe I'm saying this because I can always find tons of things to makeover in a room, especially kitchen which I am obsessed with, but I think I would just change the countertops. I am very picky, currently doing a $100,000+ kitchen, have had two huge kitchens before this--with the works--48" Viking ranges, fireplaces, SZ, the usual...and I think you only need to make minor tweaks as in adding a bit of color to your kitchen. I think that for what you would spend to change the cabinets, it's not going to pay off in value for the house (we are in the 1M-2M range so this is where I'm coming from as a point of reference). There might be aesthetic reasons if you have a certain vision in your head, but I think otherwise, you could make MINOR changes for maximum impact. I agree about with the state of the economy and I always look at the overall neighborhood, what would add value, etc. Sometimes its just a matter of personal taste. (I, for example, like the rustic European look. Even though I LOVE the all white kitchen, schoolhouse lights, etc that is so in right now and sooo classic, it's just not me.) I think you've got an awesome kitchen and I wouldn't let a KD or anyone else make you feel like you need to spend a lot of money. Of course, they want your money! Just my 2 cents.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

tried to photoshop the countertops as well, but it didn't work out too well (not from an aesthetic standpoint, rather a photoshop standpoint).

this changes out the knobs, adds a copper hood, replaces tile backsplash, replaces wall ovens.

• cbfromga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks to all for your input. Even though many of you thought the cabinets are fine as is, I find them too bright white for my taste and bought the house with the intention of doing a kitchen makeover. I absolutely hate the current island and am now tossing up 1 island or 2. I am debating the cooktop cabinetry and thanks to mamdadapaige for your photoshop handiwork- it really helps me to visualize that now. I'm mulling over what to do and if it is in the budget. My cabinet makers are coming Monday to take the doors and drawers for shop refinishing and I will be asking for feedback on the many decisions coming up next week.

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

My opinion is that unless this is your forever home, stay away fromt the green....I actually like thei white and would

Replaced door style
    New hardware
    New hood
    New dark toned island (IS THERE WOOD UNDER THE ISLAND? You will need to check bc floors will need to be patched!...is that real wood? If yes, the entire floor will need to be restained unless they can end it someplace not noticeable)
    New appliances

Good to go...

• moremoremore
    15 years ago

oops...forgot countertops and backsplash...

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

I've been looking at this kitchen for a couple of days now so I'll weigh in.

I would keep the base cabs & toss the uppers, including that awful thing over the cooktop.

Mantel style range hood.

I would relocate the double ovens to another wall or even stick them in the pantry.

Stainless appliances & stainless panels for refrig.

Costa Smeralda granite (or something similar) w/ large subway backsplash in a blue green color to blend. Butcher block insets on both sides of cooktop to coordinate w/ island top.

{{!gwi}}

Chrome, nickel, pewter--something gray metalic--pulls.

New uppers that don't compete with the windows (the crown on the current ones is just toooo much & I don't like the arched panels.) Any cabs with door glass would have interior painted in green or green/blue to coordinate with counter/ BS. Better yet, maybe tile the inside w/ BS tile. (I wouldn't use glass cab doors on either of the window walls because you have enough glass there.)

New 'Christopher Peacock' style island w/ wood countertop (bleached walnut, maybe?). Or cherry. Or some exotic wood--I'm familiar with domestic woods only.
    (Might be able to salvage some parts--doors/ drawers from the old island).

Two ceiling fans, larger than current one & hung lower.

The sink? I dunno' but that white faucet would be the first thing to leave the premises.

I'll stop now because I think I've overspent your allowance already. :)

(oh yeh, I could live with the white cabs after infusing those big blocks of color & wood.)

And, remember that this is supposed to be FUN!

• cbfromga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OMG ci lantro---that is exactly the kind of kitchen I like! I didn't know what "Christopher Peacock" style was so I googled it and came across these pics that I really like and the kitchen shown has a lot of windows like my kitchen.

I can't move the ovens but, I think I can replace the cooktop cabinet and I love that mantel style. I like that granite too, I'll have to investigate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elements of Christopher Peacock Kitchen

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

Wonderful, isn't it?

Here's the one I fell in love with:

{{gwi:1416859}}

• lascatx
    15 years ago

My thoughts were similar -- work with what you have to create a current look.

You are already updating the appliances. New counters, splash, hardware, sink and faucet would be next on my list, and along with that, I would take down the cabinet over the cooktop to put the focus on the windows and something you would love to see (it could be a hood, but you could also upgrade the downdraft -- go taller so it pulls fumes and steam rather than the flame, and make that spot a home for a mantel, a wall potrack, a ceramic or iron piece, a niche for oils and such, a tile mural, some gorgeous stone or tile. That's a great spot to do something wonderful and the droopy eyelid doors on that cabinet aren't doing it for me. I think if you got rid of those droopy-lid doors, the other cathedral doors would be less important.

If the crown is too much for your tastes, you could reduce it without replacing the cabinets. That would play up the windows more -- especially the one near the ovens.

If the flooring is a problem, look at trying to enlarge the island -- perhaps square it off. Also, make sure you can get 220 power there if you plan to put an oven in there.

I would also want to lose the fan and get one nice fixture or several pendants for the kitchen and update the white fixture that appears to be in a breakfast area to go with the kitchen choice.

• homepro01
    15 years ago

If you want to change things, I really like the Christopher Peacock kitchen you posted. I think you can achieve this in your kichen. If you remove the island and replace it with a similar island, you can pick a dark color door or a painted cabinet color. I would also get a range rather than a new cooktop with a separate third oven. Oops, I see you already have the appliances. I would put the oven under the cooktop if you can fit it there. Putting it in the island is not the best place for it.

If you take out the wall hood cabinet and replace it with a really pretty hood, not the one in the Peacock ad, I think you can have a really interesting wall.

How are you replacing the oven cabinet? The cost of new doors for the other cabinets may not be too bad so if you are truly unhappy with the color of the cabinets you can change that too. Adding some pendants to the island will also add visual interest. I think keeping the island to a width of 4 feet by 8 feet would make it really functional for your space.

I think the moulding is a little over whelming and having the space between the cabinet and the ceiling is not in keeping with the styles you are attracted to. I would raise the cabinets and the moulding to the ceiling.

Good luck!

• cbfromga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I agree, the space between the upper cabinets and the ceiling bothers me but, I'm stretching my budget at it is in replacing the cooktop hood. I like the look of the mantel in the Peacock pic although not that particular one. I was thinking of something similar over the cooktop that is placed either to ceiling or at least to bottom of molding, that is straight lines (like the peacock kitchens in the link above) that would breakup all the matchy arcs. I would then follow that panel style with the replacement doors which will have to be overlay and then the island or islands would be inset.

I have a SS triple stack (O,WD,M) going in that oven cabinet space--that's why I wanted to put the 36" oven in the island--they would clash on the same wall--different handles and shape.

• homepro01
    15 years ago

I don't think the ovens would clash on the same wall at all. Where ever you end up putting the oven, make sure you have enough space to have the oven door open and perform what ever function you need. How long is the door on the 36" wolf oven? Also, the island would be blocking the direct view of the oven from the living space.

Good luck!

• cbfromga
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The oven door opens approx. 18". I currently have allotted 42" between the island and cooktop. The Wolf oven is actually compact for a 36" oven with dimensions of 36W x 24D x 24 1/2 H. It had the lowest height of every other oven I looked at so even while I agree, an oven in an island is not ideal, the size of this oven is better than most for island placement.

• plants4
    15 years ago

I really think you should consider cutting in some area to increase your budget on the cabinets and make them go to the ceiling. Those windows are amazing as is the ceiling height and the current cabinets truncate the entire effect. You are certainly right that the matching arcs are a problem!

I agree with previous posters that a classic-shaped (rectangular) island would be better than anything with angles.

• queenofmycastle0221
    15 years ago

Can you send me your current kitchen? I am not a fan of white kitchens either but I love yours the way it is. I miss my nicer kitchen from my former home but the funds are just not there to start over in the current one!

Good Luck!
    Alicia

• growlery
    15 years ago

The thing that makes me craziest is the arch-top windows. It's always going to be 1993 in that kitchen with those there, no matter what. Can you remove just the top part? Or cover the arch up completely?

I'm sure it was all The Very Thing when it went in. Sometimes changing a few major offenders makes the minor offenders much, much easier to tolerate. Or maybe the sensible thing is really to do it all at once, not piecemeal. Stop and give it real thought and save your money. Some of us have saved for years.

Other thoughts, some repeats:

Crown molding is too heavy.

Uppers are too -- too.

Can you get a new door for the dishwasher?

And the weird random ceiling cans. Did they just throw pencils in the ceiling for placement?

Cheap fixes: Replace the white sconces and faucet. Cover over some of the shinyshiny backsplash behind the stove by hanging something.

Personally, I think nomorebluekitchen hits most of the nails on the head.

Don't despair! You chose this house for a reason!

• karmicrevival
    15 years ago

The mantel style around the cook-top would make me CRAZY. Think about the movements you have to make to get a pan on and off the cook-top -- and moving things into pans onto the cooktop -- you always have to go out and around instead of any sideways movements. IMO: for show and not practical.

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

Wow, my first thought was that it is lovely. Of course, I am putting in an all white kitchen. I did just see a thing in Better Homes and Garden where a woman put gel stain on her white cabinets to warm them up (back page of latest issue or the November one). I, personally, wouldn't do that b/c I like white better than cream, but it definitely did change the look of her cabinets.

I think you could change the countertops and update appliances, add the hood and maybe change knobs and faucet and get a totally different look. Cherry or walnut counters on the island would be really pretty. Changing the island color would also update the look.

My current kitchen has white cabs too. It started with an all white backsplash. I added one with a bit of color and then changed the white counters to dark green. I think it looks great. I also have a wallpaper. You could paint a more interesting color and bring in some fabrics.

IMHO, white kitchens don't go out of style. Other colors do (i.e. avocado and harvest gold, pickled wood, etc.).

Good luck. I think you have a good starting point. It can definitely look Peacock if you just change a few things.