SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
budgeteer_s

mustbnuts & Others-HELP! Vent Hood Over Granite

budgeteer_s
15 years ago

mustbnuts Help!

I'm combing the garden web in search of answers to my vent hood installation problem and came upon one of your post.

Know that you have successfully install wall mounted vent hood over granite backsplash behind the cooktop that is all the way to the ceiling.

I do not have full confidence in our installer, and want to know what anchors and screws are reguired to hold the vent hood to the granite wall. The vent hood came with anchors that are for drywall, and of course now that there is an additional granite (3/4 inch?) thickness, the provided screws(1-3/8 in length and they called them 4 mm tapping screws) are too short, I think. What size screws did you use to penetrate both granite and drywall? What toggles and/or anchors were used? My installer brought 1-1/2 screws and small plastic inserts.

To make matters worse, the installer moved an electrical plug on the wall so that it is hidden behind the chimney hood and in doing so, cut out the dry wall exactly where the hook screw is to be positioned to hold the vent hood. So now I am thinking the toggle or anchor must be able to grip the granite and not the drywall.

I am very surprise that the instruction manual required only two hooks screwed to the wall to hold a 40 lbs vent hood. The only other two screws are to hold the bracket which is used to attach chimney part, and does not help hold the vent hood at all.

Granite is to be install this coming Wednesday and I must resolve the screw positions and holes before Wednesday. Help please! I am at my wit's end.

Comments (13)