SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
remodelfla

What do you think of this vintage baker's table I found?

remodelfla
15 years ago

I found this vintage baker's table. I think it may be a really worthy piece. I could make it fit into my design if I tweak the layout yet again. But do you guys think it's special enough to for me to change the layout? Just look at that orginal zinc top!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Here's the latest rendition of the final layout. I would put the table where the baking counter/frig is. I'd then NOT remove the 4' of wall on the bottom to a half wall and put the frig on the end of that run. DH would be more then delighted not to have to take that down.

DO you think this piece is worth changing the layout for? I already wrote the guy.

Comments (50)

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

Ohhhhhhhhhhhh, you're asking the wrong person in me! My entire kitchen has been designed around pieces like that--I can't tell you how many times I changed my kitchen layout to fix a spot for a new piece. If you decide you don't want it, can I have it (LOL)? I just showed DH and his response was, "where would you put it?" quickly followed by "what are you willing to give up?"

In all honesty, though--is this the look that you're going for? I thought you were going for a more modern, sleek look? If so, then this probably won't look right and I don't know if you should start messing with a floor plan that you and your DH/SO like. Also, is the pricing on the piece worth it?

That being said, if you don't mind mixing old and new, you could make it work by putting a little TLC into this piece (it could look great!) and maybe adding some type of glass front cabinet or shelves above it. I have a nook right inside the back door that I will be putting a dry sink (similar size/proportions as this piece) for a landing zone for groceries and other items being carried in and we will be putting a cabinet with shelves above. I will be putting some antique display stuff, DH is going to make a charging station for cell phones in it, and the answering machine will also be there.

Let us know what you decide!

• budge1
    15 years ago

It would be for me. Not sure what he's asking, but I just saw a similar one in an antique store. It just had a plain wood top and was smaller - didn't have the the two bins on the right. They were asking $900.

Sorry, I'm not good at layouts, but I do love that piece.

• Related Discussions

I'm thinking about this piece. What do you think?

Q

Comments (18)
    See link in next posting. :) When making a 1st post with a link, it's actually easier then you think.. for those that don't know Type up your post, then hit the "Preview" button, once you have the preview, scroll down a little, you will see your post again, this time with the Optional Link URL: & Name of the Link: You can also go to the link below.. look under links Here is a link that might be useful: HTML Cheatsheet and learn now to make links in the 1st post
    ...See More

Cannot Think! What do you call those tables...?

Q

Comments (6)
    Yes. Forboystoo....the console table picture you posted first is almost exactly what I was looking at! Thanks! Red
    ...See More

Do you recognize this Baker end table?

Q

Comments (15)
    You got a great bargain, but it is difficult to put a typical price on pieces like this. They are well made, but semi-mass-produced and semi-antique. The price is what someone is willing to pay for it. The 1stdibs clientele just possibly might pay $2800 because if they are working with a decorator in Manhattan, LA or the Hamptons, at what point does paying someone $100+ an hour to look for something cheaper intersect with the price the antique dealer on 1stdibs is asking? On the other hand, I've seen perfectly good stuff at 1stdibs Saturday Sale "marked down 80%", which to me means that the $2800 price tag is floated out there to see what happens but at $560 they still are making something. I saw a bronze ice-bucket I have first listed on 1stdibs for $4000. Obviously there were no takers. The price ended up in the low hundreds. I would say that on average, I would expect to see something like this for 10x what you paid for it, but if it had lingered in the store you found it in, it possibly could've been marked down even more. It's a crap shoot and that is the fun and frustration of it all.
    ...See More

I think I've found THE dining room/kitchen table

Q

Comments (17)
    This is going to be a weird question, but is your room where the table is going more square or more rectangular. I ask because as someone who purchased and resold several tables before settling on the one I currently have (thank you Craigslist!), I found that a round table in a more rectangular area just doesn't seem to work well - the proportions are off. Now if you have a squarish open area for the table, you'll be good (and even if the room is rectangular, if a buffet or hutch or something is filling up one of the ends so that the area where the table goes is squarish, I think you'll be good. I don't remember if there was pic of the area in your last thread. But anyhow, it's just something to consider. Out of all the ones you posted, I like the first one the best.
    ...See More
  • remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I originally was going for a more contemporary look but only in terms of clean lines not really total design. More of a "lack of fussiness" look. I love the idea of an eclectic look... it's kinda a reflection of me since I love a little of so many different things. They're asking $300... I think it could be a great deal. I would definitely refinish it; something I love to do. I did the vanity in our master bath and our gateleg buffet table. I'm really excited to hear back from this guy. I'm not sure what kind of wood it is. It has it's original paint right now. That's one of the questions I asked the seller. The kind of wood it is would determine if I'd stain or paint.

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

For that price, I say jump on it! Would love to see it after you refinish. What are the dimensions of the piece?

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

70 1/2" long, 29 1/2" wide, 33 1/4" high.

It's even shorter then standard height too which is something I wanted to do! I would find some cool wall cabinet maybe with glass to put above part of it and maybe some open shelving... I've always liked the look of that. I was thinking if I wanted to paint instead of stain... that a french gray blue or dove gray would look good with the zinc top.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

This is an observation to be considered if you are going to be sacrificing anything you've really wanted or come to love the idea of in your current layout to have this: It won't really show from anywhere but when you're standing right in front of it or on the way to the laundry? If you can love it as your own private enjoyment, then it's great. If you wanted it to really make a visual statement in your kitchen, I don't think it will in that location.

• furletcity
    15 years ago

I also love "repurposing" antiques as modern day storage. Would this table provide enough storage to balance out losing your planned deep storage and coffee center? (this is where your fridge would move?) Also, would you have enough space in front of your fridge if you move it? I bought an antique, pine, 2-piece hutch and turned it into my island. I love having mixed pieces in my kitchen, and the table you found could look awesome. It comes down to how much extra work and effort you feel like adding to an already huge endeavor(doesn't it always?).

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I somehow lost my response so here it is again.... Most everything I"m doing in the kitchen is for me first. The more important question is would I have enough room to open the frig door if I put in at the end of the cooking run with 4' wide aisles?

• chris_in_15
    15 years ago

Do it. Refinished, it's going to be beautiful and practical. It's already stood the test of time, and this is exactly the sort of centerpiece to make your kitchen something special.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

4 ft aisle is Ok, but will you have enough counter to each side of your cooktop?

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sure.. if I eliminate the 6" pullout and put the frig on the end in place of the 24" base cab and cut the 30" down to a 24" I'd have 30" on one side and 24" on the other. That's adequate space but not the long expanse of counterop I had planned on. However... that would be the tradeoff for having such a unique piece.

• missopinion47
    15 years ago

Absolutely! What a gorgeous piece! I echo your excitement, that zinc top!!!

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

oh my. Listen to what others are saying about the practical aspects of layout, etc., because I have nothing to say about that. I'm just lost in the exquisite beauy of that piece as it is, & refinished....I'm drooling!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

If the paint is original (could it be milk...that would be so cool) consider scraping any lose paint, and then waxing it heavily verses painting or using some other more modern finish. It would compliment this GORGEOUS piece better.

I used to have one of those, but with a wood top and wood bins. I miss that piece more than any antique I've owned in my lifetime (and that's a lot of pieces...I love antiques). I'd buy it in a heart beat for that price, even if I only kept it in the garage!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The paint, according to the seller is original... I'm waiting for him/her to write me back. I hope to be able to go see it this weekend. I want to get my hands on (literally) the zinc top to see what it feels like. I'm imagining it with a marble backsplash. That way I get to have my marble too!

• User
    15 years ago

It is splendid. I agree with igloo...keep all that you can of the original paint and then wax. Here is a link to one that sounds like what igloo had. If anyone is in NH...

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Baker's table

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

IF the seller gets back to me and IF it's available and IF I like the table and decide to buy it I would only be able to have 24" on either side of my cooktop.
    I'd have to tweak it like this. And the wall on bottom would no longer be a half wall. Lots of "IF'S"... I'd have to really love it. Here's what the layout would look like. I think it would work... do you?

OH... I"d have to move the Advantium over since the I wouldn't have space for the 30" wall cab. In this iteration I tried it over by where the baker's table would go.

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

I like it!

• budge1
    15 years ago

I actually like this layout better than the original even if you don't go with the baking table.

We have a very small kitchen with 3 doorways and a big radiator to work around, so I ended up with 27" on one side of my range and pretty much no room on the other. While it is not ideal, I find the 27" gives me all the prep room I need on that one side ( I would love to have 2 feet of prep on the other) and I think it will work for you.

And here's another (slightly heretical) thought-because it has 6 legs, you could probably have it cut down in length. I don't think I could actually take a saw to it, but theoretically, it could be done.

My advice is to buy it - you can always resell if it really doesn't work.

I just sold an antique washstand on CL and I got sooooo many emails. People were really creative in the way they tried to get my attention. You could try emailing him again, letting him know how serious you are. I sold to someone who said they loved the piece, had cash and would show up and take it that day. I had so many interested parties, I didn't even bother with the ones who said they wanted dimensions or to come and view. Just a thought.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

great point and well taken budge... Thank You! I hadn't thought of that. I just emailed the seller and told him I have cash, a truck, and told him to call me. So we'll see. Thanks again!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

With this layout I could get a 24" convection oven like the F&P and just get a cheapo countertop MW and put it over on the baking counter. The smaller oven would go back over the counter by the range. The cost would actually be the same as a new 240 Advantium. I'll tell ya'... even if I didn't get the baker's table... I love the long counter I could use for baking or even prep. It's not that far from the range and I still have the 2' on either side of the range. Something to think about.... I would be giving up the open view out back when you walk in the front but most of the time is spent in the kitchen, sunroom, and out back.
    It'll be a moot point if the guy doesn't contact me back.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

My only question, because I'm not familiar with them...How deep is the Adv, so how much would it be in your face as you try to use that great baking table?

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmm... it's less deep than a 24" oven... maybe 18"? I have to look it back up. OK... here are the dimensions: 19 1/32 in x 21 1/2 in x 26 3/4 in. So it's 19" deep. That counter or one like it would be about 6' long so I'd have a choice of space above it. Now that I think about it... (I shoot my mouth before I think things through sometimes); a 24" oven wouldnt' work by the range.... it would make the space next to the range unusable. DUH!

• cotehele
    15 years ago

It is a very interesting piece! I agree with Igloochic, buy it now! If all else fails, it would be a good potting bench.

With all the ways we try to personalize our kitchens, antiques are truly unique. There is no other bakers table exactly like the one you have! Working on an antique table conjures up all kinds of thoughts when I am kneading (a boring task-lots of time to imagine who may have used the bakers table before you, what did they bake, were they a good cook?!) Just touching a piece with lots of life and history is a physical and emotional experience that connects me with the past. It is an exciting and humbling experience. I don't mean anything supernatural; it's just awesome to be part of its life. I hope it works out to get the table, Elyse!

Judy

• cheri127
    15 years ago

Elyse, are you sure this table will work in the end? What's required to clean up an old zinc counter before you'd actually want to put food on it? Is there any place else in the house you could use it? It seems like you're thowing away all of your past priorities (openness, views, facing people when you prep etc, storage space) for this one item. You've agonized for so long because you wanted a big open space that allowed you to enjoy your views and guests while you work/eat and now you have a layout that gives you very little of what you worked so hard to achieve. If it were me, and I really wanted that table, I'd start from the very beginning and create a new layout that showcases your antique but still gives you more of the other things you've wanted all along.

Btw, I love the idea of using it as a potting bench if it doesn't work in the kitchen.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm going to see it today at 6:00. I just think the piece is too cool pass up. I'm assuming zinc would clean up much like soapstone. I'll do a search and find some stone expert advice.

cotehele... Part of the appeal for me is exactly as you stated and that's why I don't have a problem if it's not placed in a spot where it is specifically highlighted for viewing. This is definitely a function with fun piece for me. I'm the one who would be using it and enjoying it. Of course... I'd be delighted and proud for others to see it. This is assuming of course I like it! :-)

cheri... I"ve thought about all you have stated. The difference in view would be 4' of wall. And it would only be from the front room. In either layout my view of the family room while at the cooktop would be obstructed. The difference is the 4' of half wall. Though I haven't permanently lived in that house.. when we're there or people are there... all want to hang out in the kitchen, sunroom, patio, and yard. So I guess it would make a difference only when I had a big crowd like during Thanksgiving. It would be a concession.

Even if I dont' use this in the kitchen... I think I may have to buy it anyway and find a place for it.... though my instinct tells me I'd love it as a baking center.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Good job, Cheri127. Something was bothering me and the words weren't coming, but you hit it. I wasn't seeing enough more gain for the losses.

Beware of things that pop up and distract you from original priorities. It happens to all of us. Doesn't mean you can't weigh and possibly add new ideas, but always consider carefully and try to see every little detail it changes.

Elyse, you drove us crazy ;-) --I say that lovingly, of course--- trying to keep that wall open, and now you're willing to close it. If you will promise to love it that way in exchange for having the baking table, I am all for it. And, of course, if you won't be unsafe or unhealthy using it.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OH gosh rhome... I know I drove you all crazy... I'm so sorry for that! And you have been so thoughtful and patient. And ya' know.... I love you for THAT!

BUT... what do you think of this layout in and of itself in terms of function? I don't see a huge difference but then I don't see alot of things until after someone like you points it out to me. Countless times I said, "good point.... why didn't I see that".
    Big question.... what do you mean about unsafe or unhealthy to use? Is zinc NOT a safe material for working on? Does the food pick up unsafe minerals? I thought it was a much desired countertop?

And rhome... I actually was curious to see what your reaction would be to this piece. You're so good a taking a non-emotional approach to design and it helps so much to get detached perspective. I love the idea of re-purposing as furletcity said... this is a unique piece for down here. I love that about it too. I know my kitchen will not be large but I adore the idea of it being functional and a bit different.

I spoke to the seller and it's a piece she's liquidating from her parents estate. It had been in a garage. She said it's been in her family for as long as she can remember. She said the paint color is like a creamy white. Now you got me concerned about the zinc top material. I'm gonna go do some research about cleaning and safety.

I really do appreciate the time and effort you all take to listen to me... especially rhome's unending honesty and helpfulness.

• User
    15 years ago

Here is a good link to the care and usefulness of zinc countertops. Is there a way you can use it as an island ? That way it would be available to remove if you moved and it would be flexible as to placement. Just a thought...

Here is a link that might be useful: how to care for zinc

• cheri127
    15 years ago

Good luck tonight, Elyse. I'll be amazed if you come home without it at that price! I found an interesting short article about caring for zinc counters. Yours looks really oxidized (zinc rust) in the picture but sounds like it should clean up just fine. A word about patina: I have copper tops on the coffee and end tables of the tv room and they are covered with water rings and other marks. I'm not a patina sort of person (I'd be getting marble if I were) so they really bother me. I believe zinc with do the same.

FWIW, I think your layout with the baking table looks fine. Can you put a small window on that outside wall make it feel more open down there?

Here is a link that might be useful: Caring for zinc counters

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I did some research and read about caring for zinc countertops and they all pretty much say the same thing. So I"m comfortable using it with food. I'll see what condition the material is in. I'm more then fine with patina and would use 0000 steel wool to clean it. (was it 3 or 4 "0"?). Anyway... I could always replace the top with marble. Another part of the appeal is I like cabinets off the ground; more freestanding I guess. I don't have room for an island but could find another spot for it if I fall for the piece and MUST have it!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Oh, please, I hope you know and believe that I was just teasing you!

I really have no idea about the safety of the zinc. I know that zinc counters have been referred to as being kind of a classic material, but when Cheri127 mentioned about checking into its cleanup and safety, I realized it isn't something one should take for granted.

I am not an antiques person...Don't know much about them, and have never had money to spend on things like that (We live on one salary, and it's a teacher's salary, which I know you can relate to). Any interest or sentiment I might feel toward such things are usually diminished by DH's attitude, who would rather build me something new that looks like what I like. Since he's a skilled builder and woodworker, he's not a fan of old things that have lost some of their structural integrity and don't have things that will work well and easily, like ball-bearing, full-extension glides.

That said, these are my comments and questions as a terminally practical person: I see a piece that looks to need a bit of work and lots of cleanup before I'd want to put food in or on it. Do the drawers work well? Do they slide easily or wobble? Are the legs sturdy? Are the drawer joints tight? It does look cool, and it's 'story' is neat to include in a kitchen, but will it work for you? Or be kind of a pain while you're trying to accomplish something? Will it store what you need or put more burden on the rest of your layout?

As others have said, if it doesn't go in the kitchen (and I'm not necessarily saying it shouldn't), it can be a potting table, or even a buffet table...Something not as crucial to the way the kitchen works on a daily basis, and that if it's not as sturdy or easy working, it won't be a big deal. --And it might go somewhere it can be seen and more appreciated.

• cotehele
    15 years ago

Elyse, I would be concerned about lead in the paint. It can chip and flake and end up in the food you eat. However, Igloochic suggested removing all loose paint, then waxing the table. Lead is only a problem if it is not sealed. You would need to be diligent to be sure it is always sealed.

The Napanee Kitchenet is painted with lead-based paint. Little pieces chip off and usually land on the floor. It's just something you always need to keep in mind.

Can't wait for an update after you see it :-D

Judy

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'll see about it's structure when we go tonight. I'm not concerned about cleaning/refinishing... as I said, I love those kind of projects. I made my bathroom vanity out of a $75 kitchen island that I refinished and it (to me) came out beautiful. I've done a couple of other tables too. Well... I'll let you guys know later tonight if I come home with it!

Man... either way... I really love that long expanse of counterspace with the wall left alone and the frig over there.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am the owner of a vintage baker's table in really rough shape! But... it's going to be an awesome project to refinish and if I can't use it or don't like it' I"ll sell it. It is the original milk paint not even cleaned, won't be a condition that I'll be happy with. The zinc top cannot be salvaged. The seam is detached and a part of it is torn. But, if I don't love the wood underneath, I think I'd replace it with marble.
    Here's a closeup of one of the drawers to show the milk paint:

Zinc top which besides from looking trashed is torn:

Color of natural wood ... took this picture of the back of the piece:

Full view with small front drawers removed:

I know it's in rough shape... but it only cost $250. I think it'll be a kick to refinish. So... come on... do you think it's awful? I'll get my money's worth of fun working on it to see what I can restore it too. Hopefully, I'll love it so much that I will use it in my kitchen. If not... and if I left the wall up putting the frig where I showed it the last rendition... it would fit perfectly on the family room side of that wall to be used as a buffet... display table... whatever.

Nuff for now... I'll post more as I uncover what the wood it. OH... from looking at the back... what DO you think it is? Mahogany?

• User
    15 years ago

I think your enthusiasm for old pieces is like mine ! I love it and you are right about the potential. I think that the wood on the back will be proof of what is hidden underneath. If the wood top is great then you can go with that or a copper top ( DIY info on this forum) or marble or replace the zinc...or...just seems like you two were meant for each other. You are a lucky one !! I can hardly wait to see the results. Caroline

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It's ironic... cause I really don't have antiques in my home. I just like clean substantial lines and natural materials. Not sure what you'd call my style. Like I said before... I like a little of so many different things. I'm the same way in life. I love to do a little of many different kinds of activities. I'm an outdoor girl, homebody , beach bum, suburbanite, but mostly just Mom.
    Hey... wanna see my very most favorite part of Thanksgiving? Each year when my boys are home together I make them take a new "Mommy sandwich" picture with me. Here's 2008...the boys try to "out mug" each other.

This is going to be a long project. My first choice would be for the wood, once uncovered, to be beautiful in it's natural state. If not... and I have to paint... then a dove gray or French blue gray color?

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

Oh I'm SO glad you got it! Too bad about the zinc, but is there truly no way you can preserve that crackled paint?

I've scraped & sanded (lightly) some old pieces in order to preserve that sort of look, but nothing like a piece of furniture that will get used & abused in the kitchen, so I wouldn't know how to deal with something like that.

Is it really in THAT bad of shape? A coat of something with more durability than wax? A varnish of some sort?

And you & your boys are all cuties! :-)

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm not 100% sure. I'm going to clean it first... before I do anything. For my own home I'm not sure about a heavily distressed piece. I think it may just be too "used" looking for me. But I'll see first. I'm going to approach this very methodically and slowly... which is a feat by itself! The natural wood would be my first choice.

• User
    15 years ago

Great pic !! I know you can get milk paint on line. So if you do decide to go with new paint maybe you can use that. It gives a nice old look. I think it will be fun no matter what you do with it. Keep us posted. c

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Elyse, I can't believe I missed this thread somehow. I think that baker's table is fantastic. The wood should clean up nicely, but if it doesn't I vote for dove gray. I'd also like to see the table with another zinc top. You can buy a sheet of zinc and DIY the top ala circuspeanut's copper countertops for very little $. It would be true to the piece and zinc has been used as counters forever in Europe, so it must be food safe.

OT - great looking boys. If I was 15 yrs younger...he he.

As to the layout, I'm sort of with Rhome in that I know how much you wanted to open up the view from the front of the house to the back and after gorgeous-new-table-euphoria wears off, you might want to do a gut check to see if you really are ok with leaving the wall.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I know about the open thing... it's an important decision. Needless to say... DH/SO is nearly giddy over the prospect of perhaps not taking that down to a half wall. That won't sway my decision... however; when I compare the layouts the frig placement seems so much more functional and sensible with the wall there. I have time to figure that. Next time I'm down at the house I'll have to do some visualization. Like I said... most of the viewing will be from the other (sunroom) side.

I've had the best long weekend ever with both my boys home with me. I cooked and baked my rear off and we spent time together. Tomorrow... the golf course if it doesn't rain... if rainy then football! It's one of those "life is good" weekends!!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

"the frig placement seems so much more functional and sensible with the wall there"

;-)

"DH/SO is nearly giddy over the prospect of perhaps not taking that down to a half wall"

You had to go and tell him before you'd decided? :-D

And I have to say, you're making some of us shiver...It's not shorts weather in these parts! But I have been having one of those 'life is good' weekends myself with the kids all hanging around home (mostly in the kitchen) and DH taking it easy, too.

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

Okay, if you decide you don't want the piece after diving into refinishing--I get first shot! Seriously, that is going to be beautiful no matter what you decide. I like to stay true to original finishes if it can still be functional. I have an aunt who also collects really nice antique furniture and her response to me once when I was trying to decide about a piece I was going to use was sometimes you have to to what you have to do to make it functional rather than just letting it sit around looing pretty.

As far as preserving the original paint, if you are going to be using on a daily basis and not just as a display piece I would probably strip it (please, no knives!) and based on the back would bet the wood would clean up real nice. Regarding the wood, DH and I looked at your pic closely and we think at least the back is pine although when you get around to the front it would not be unusual for another wood such as maple or popular to be mixed in. If you knew where the piece originally came from it might also give you a hint as to the wood type. DH thinks the piece probably dates 1900-1920 based on one of the pieces of wood that looks like it went through a planer if that piece of wood is original to the table and the style of the pulls.

Regarding the zinc--too bad it can't be salvaged. However, if you decide to use in your kitchen it might be your chance to get your marble which I think would look great. I will be reusing an old entertainment center base that is 72" long (would have loved to have found something like your table to stay truer to the kitchen style I am trying to achieve) and am getting a marble slab to go on the top. I was able to find a remnant piece that it could be cut from so was able to get a better price. I have really gone back and forth on the paint color and think I have decided on a grey-green or grey-taupey color which seems to bring out the veining in the sample I got rather than a lighter color I had originally looked at. Long way of saying, if you decide to paint it I would wait until you decide on your countertop material before picking paint color.

Good luck - you got yourself a bargain!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So rhome.... are you saying that you think the frig placement makes more sense there too? (Like you probably delicately tried to hint at dozens of times and I was resistant too!)

I had to kind of tell DH cause I guess he listened more than I thought he was. He said to me...."if we get this piece, where are you going to fit it? If you put it in the baking center isn't it bigger then the one that was planned? Where will the frig go?" Plus I tend to have running of the mouth disease. He's so delighted that anything else I recommend he's saying..."OK honey... sounds great... whatever you want". I think he knows that I have no more room for compromise.

It's gonna be 82 here today. Then a "cold front" is coming through where it will go down to 70 during the day. Even though I've gone "Floridian"... it still cracks me up.

farmhouse... this will absolutely be a fucntional piece. This house isn't big enough for display pieces! Plus... I'm becoming more and more about function as I go full circle with this remodel planning process. I peeked under the zinc that's lifting up and I don't think the wood underneath is anything special. I adore one of those fabulous gorgeous end grain BB tops from Grothouse which are exorbiantly expensive and I also adore marble. I think marble (for which I should be able to find a remnant) will be much much more affordable plus I think it'll go with the look of the piece more.

It's funny... when I work on a wood piece... and I've only done a few... I begin to feel like I'm developing a personal relationship with it. Like I want to take care of it. Kinda weird I suppose!

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

Nothing weird about that at all--I do the same!! Once I have put some work into something, I can't get rid of it and have to find a space for it. I think you going to have fun!

BTW--I like the fridge location in the latest layout better too--folks don't have to be coming into "your" space to get to it.

• bmorepanic
    15 years ago

Please test for lead before deciding to retain any of the existing paint. It's got several coats of paint on it and its old enough to have been painted with lead.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I think I gave up on delicate hints about plan #9, because you were always gracious and open to hearing the truth without a sugar-coating, which has been great in your kitchen planning process.

I'm pretty sure several people tried several times to try to convince you to leave the wall and put the fridge there...BUT, in the end, I was quite happy with its placement in the former pantry area. I thought it was a cool and clever compromise that was going to work well for you. Now, I believe it can be either place and be fine.

If you leave the wall, your SO can be happy, others can get to the fridge without disturbing your meal prep, and you still have 2 ft to each side of the stove, which is pretty good. If it's in the pantry area, you get more elbow and prep room at the stove, and the fridge is still handy. Good either way...Which is amazing for the fridge location problems we had from day 1 through all your plans!

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

bmore... thanks for the heads up. I'm definitely not going to retain the paint finish. In fact... since it's rainy and windy today... no golf... it'll be football, baking bread, and refinishing day for me. I'm going to start with just the drawers I took out.

rhome... I still feel some angst about the "openness". I know what it'll look like from the family room side since it's what's already in there. All along I wondered if it would look weird with about 4' of cab backs showing and the rest closed. When I compare the two layout side by side I think without question the frig placement is better on the end of the cook run and I pant at the prospect of almost 6' long 30" deep baking counter that I could also use for prep. However... it bothers me somewhat that the prep space on either side of the cooktop is "average". I guess that unless you are doing a new build where you can design ANYTHING or a large space that gives you unending options; that there are going to be compromises.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Believe me, even when building new there are plenty of compromises! At least for those of us with budgets. The hard part, which would be true of any house, is having the room location, size, and layout flow with the rest of the rooms in the house.

You have various options when it would come to dressing up the cabinet backs and helping them fit in with the family room, if you decided on that plan.

As far as prep space beside the stove, I'm thinking you might do a lot of your prep by the sink, facing the view and your DH or guests? The space beside will be space to set sauces, already prepped items, move things off the stove (which is less necessary with induction), etc.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!