SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
july_gw

Do I have enough room for a counter overhang?

july
12 years ago

I just found out that I cannot have a single level peninsula. It must have a minimum 42" high section. So I went back to play around with the layout a bit,and try to add a bar height overhang with stool seating. But I just don't know if there is enough room.

We have 130" from counter top edge (including a 12" overhang) to the dining room wall. Between the counter top edge and the wall are stools for the overhang and a dining room table. There are no walkways to anything, just need to be able to maneuver around dining room table.

Is there a standard measurement to allow when an overhang with stools backs up to a dining room table? I was hoping that 48" might be enough there....If I had a 44" wide table (no special reason for that dimension), that would leave me with 38" between the table and wall. Pretty tight. Now, with a 36" table... and the magic of 8 more inches...???

So what do you think? Should I even entertain the idea?

Another option is to forget about the overhang and have room for a sideboard/buffet (approx 15" deep) on the other side of the dining room. This would give me about 40" all the way around the table.

Something like this:

Comments (10)