SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alextphoto

What should I do for a backsplash and under counter overhang?

On the wall behind my cooktop I'm only planning on having this range hood. I may add open shelves in the future, but I prefer an open look. My question is what should I do for a backsplash? As you can see I like neutral colors. The countertop is white quartz btw. Maybe a carrara marble slab or carrara 3x6 tiles?

Under the counter is also an issue. Maybe the same material as the cabinets?

Any help is greatly appreciated...

Comments (31)

• homepro01
    8 years ago

A back painted glass slab would look great on the wall. Easy to clean and you can use under cabinet lights to enhance it. Another option is large format tile. Here is an example of the tile I would use from Porcelanosa (Crystal is the name of the tile). What other colors are going into the room? What colors are the walls going to be etc?

• Fori
    8 years ago

I would love to see a slab of nice marble in those places. Betcha it'd be cheaper than having tile installed too, but that's not the reason. You have so much sleek goodness, I would not want to break it up with tile.

Painted glass would also be good, but I like that a classic marble gives you some veins. Also check the other marbles. Maybe calacatta gold or something with the tan veins to go with the floor?

• Related Discussions

Where do I end the backsplash? Cabinets shorter than counter

Q

Comments (22)
    It depends on the color of the backsplash tile - if the backsplash will look obtrusive sticking out into wallspace, then I prefer it to end with the cabinet. Else it will look like a square of tile floating on the wall. If folks want to do that, it's almost better aesthetically to go all the way up to the ceiling. But that's my feeling. As you see - the aesthetic is so individual. In your case, with just a couple inches to the end of the wall, it isn't as big of a deal, but if it is a darker color I would keep it ending at the cabinet.
    ...See More

Updating countertops - keeping backsplash - raise the counters?

Q

Comments (3)
    Did you look at the Cambria edge profiles? They are available in different thicknesses. Another alternative would be to do a mitered edge. Probably more expensive than the plywood, but a more finished look?
    ...See More

Need counter top and back splash Advice for a Modern Remodel

Q

Comments (21)
    I think we are moving in the direction to do the island, perimeter counters and backs splash (all the way up the wall) in the same White Santorini Quartzite. Any feedback on this? Im sensitive to adding too many different materials into the mix. Is this too much of one thing?
    ...See More

Should I end backsplash at end of counter or to light switch?

Q

Comments (6)
    Move the light switch over. If you don't, no matter what you do it won't look right. You could re-orient it to be vertical, but if your other switches aren't the same orientation it will look out of place.
    ...See More
  • eam44
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I'd stick with cabinet material for the under counter area. What is your back splash budget in $/SF?

Carrara marble is generally pretty grey - the background color is grey. Calacatta gold has a whiter background but then there's the gold...I prefer large format tile to a slab backsplash, but it's really about what you like. To me the slabs are overwhelming statements, and the look will be dated, I think, much like the "Tuscan" kitchens of the late '80s.

• PRO
    Alex Tarajano Photography
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It's only about 32 sq ft, and I'd like to spend less than $1k on it installed. Math: $1,000/32sf=$31.25/sf

• mayflowers
    8 years ago

Less than $1000 installed. Last I checked my tile guy charges $25 sq. ft. for labor.

• PRO
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    My contractor in Miami is closer to $4-6/sf. Where in the world are you paying $25??
  • PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    8 years ago

"My contractor in Miami is closer to $4-6/sf"

Your "contractor" is an illegal alien. Do the math.

• User
    8 years ago

No insurance, no license, and not equipped to deal with a high level install isn't ever a wise investment. Backsplashes cost about5x ''per square foot'' as floors. For a reason. Small job previous that still eats up two half days. Minimum $1200. Something fancy, double it.

• eam44
    8 years ago

May, $25/SF for labor is on the high side for Cleveland, my town, and costal CT, my last town. I can't remember where you are. Here a licensed contractor will run you about $15/SF. Carrara 3" X 6" subway tiles are less than $8/SF.

You can still have a great bs for that space, especially if you want Carrara marble tiles (relatively inexpensive). Even a herringbone layout (relatively time consuming). You have a rectangle with only two interruptions (outlets). That's half a day to lay the tile, half to grout, and that's pretty generous. Even so, it's very important to have a good contractor who has invested in the proper equipment (wet saws, diamond blades) and knows what he's doing (i.e. how to edge that tile at the end of your wall...Schluter edge? Bullnose?). You have a nice, smooth, easy wall there. If someone screws it up, the job starts increasing in cost exponentially.

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Seriously? I paid $40/sf to have my backsplash installed (Fireclay, 2 x 4 crackle, 22 square feet, about $900 to install) and that was the LEAST expensive bid I got. Most were double that. (P.S. My guy did a stellar install). (Now you know why I have such a philosophical objection to the cost of living around here - and don't plan to stay once I retire)

• eam44
    8 years ago

Sj, where are you?

• cpartist
    8 years ago

May, $25/SF for labor is on the high side for Cleveland, my town, and costal CT, my last town. I can't remember where you are. Here a licensed contractor will run you about $15/SF. Carrara 3" X 6" subway tiles are less than $8/SF.

Eam he's in Miami which is a very high priced area. I know here in FL on the opposite coast, I'd be paying at least $20-$25 a square foot and Miami is higher priced than our area.

• PRO
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Everyone, I'm really not concerned with pricing. I'm just looking for some design advice. I'm around the industry all day and get most things at wholesale cost.

• eam44
    8 years ago

Well then you should check out images of kitchens with white cabinets and white Quartz counters, collect a few that you find beautiful, and figure out which design elements in the bs speak to you. You have the dream set up for an amazing bs - a totally plain white background, and an unlimited budget.

For me the missing element in your lovely space is color, so I would look at something powerful, like OB2b's brown tiles, or this lovely Mexican tile mosaic from Tierra y Fuego. Below that are large format marble hex tiles, arguably neutral, but they pack a punch. Beneath that you have glass pennyrounds, very modern, totally cool. Clearly, you will not pick any of these, but they may open your mind to some colorful options.

Here's what it looks like installed

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Love those colorful tiles!

eam, I'm in downtown San Francisco.

• sheloveslayouts
    8 years ago

Eam- I've seen you post those glass penny rounds before and each time they make my heart flutter a bit. I think I need to consider those more seriously for my own kitchen. Can you share the manufacturer and style info?

• eam44
    8 years ago

Sj, my sister lived in the Marina near the palace of fine arts. I love that city, but it's much more expensive than even La Jolla, where I was living at the time. Now we are both back in CLE, and there are great things about living in an affordable city. Stil, it's no SF. Or LJ for that matter.

• eam44
    8 years ago

Benjesbride, I'm glad you like them! The manufacturer is Zumi Glass Tile and I've only seen them online, not in person, but I think they're lovely. This color pattern is called soirée. You can check them out on the Complete Tile website, where you can order a sample and let us all know what they're like in real life!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    8 years ago

I would look into thin porcelain sheet. They now make sheets of porcelain that look exactly like natural stone, but it's thin. They use it in shower surrounds, but they can also fabricate into countertops. I think it would look spectacular as a full wall in your kitchen. It is really amazing stuff...only way I could tell it wasn't natural stone was by looking at the edge and seeing it doesn't go all the way through. No idea of the cost.

http://www.msistone.com/stile/stile-gallery/

• terryloulou
    8 years ago

Eam44 I love the herringbone backsplash picture you shared. What is the tile, it's beautiful!!

• eam44
    8 years ago

Terry, I believe those are 2" X 12" Carrara marble tiles, and they are a bit more expensive than the 3" X 6" subway tiles, but they are really nice looking. Glad you like them.

• PRO
    Original Author
    8 years ago

eam, thanks for your help. I stuck with the cabinet material for under the counter. If I put a glass painted backsplash would you keep it white? Here's an update:

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

I'd go with a slightly blue, green, or gray backpainted backsplash. Unless you want to go for a digitally printed one.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/discussions/2449038/digital-printing-on-glass-as-backsplash

• eam44
    8 years ago

Your space is looking beautiful, you must be thrilled.

You can keep it white, you can do almost anything with glass, including a light grey. You can consider gloss or matte finishes - matte might be best in your space. The reason I didn't recommend glass for your space, even though it's an obvious, reasonable choice, is texture. Your space has very little visual or actual texture. Which is fine. But you have an opportunity to add some in that spot if you would like to. Glass won't do that for you. On the other hand, you'll never have to clean grout!

Texture:

VS.

Or....visual texture...

....in stone, or.....

Formica :o)

• DC Reno
    8 years ago

I thibk something like in eam's last picture would be so nice! We have a similar porcelain tile. We were going to go with the 12*24 but ended up with 6*24 because they fit the space better. I do like the big ones better if the space allows though!

• jmarino19
    8 years ago

I really like the contrast cabinet material on the cabinet back.

Eam, those are great inspiration photos. I was immediately drawn to the first.

• speaktodeek
    8 years ago

I'd do the whole piece of wall up to the ceiling (i.e., not just a strip on top of the counter), and make it an artistic statement wall. That's not to say it has to be busy or loud, but some sort of artistic statement, even if quiet and sedate. It would look amazing!

• PRO
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    UPDATE: I stuck with the white Quartz all the way up. My contractor has offered to build open floating shelves out of the cabinet material if I want them. He would just have to know what size. Thoughts?
  • DC Reno
    8 years ago

Open shelves would look amazing! Your kitchen looks wonderful.

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths