SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
casey_1234

Kitchen Remodel Cabinet and Island Suggestions!!

casey.1234
12 years ago

I am so glad I came across this website! Looking through older posts and getting insight on things that I hadn't thought of for our upcoming remodel has been very helpful. I was hoping to get some feedback on our current plans, especially in regards to the kitchen.

Our bottom floor "great room" encompasses the living room/entry way, dining room, and kitchen. Together, this rectangular space totals roughly 42 ft by 23 ft. Currently we have four structural columns that define the dining room. We planned on keeping the two remaining columns close to the kitchen to cut costs, and have tried to incorporate them into the island (See Floor Plans).

There is a fear that we are creating too large of a space between the counter space and island. If you consider the two posts as the "end" of the kitchen, the kitchen is roughly 11 ft x 24 ft. We have purchased a slab of granite for the island that has the dimensions (after taking into account for scraps) of 116 in. x 67 in. The problem is this - if you incorporate the posts with the 116 in. x 67 in. island, that leaves roughly 60 in. between the island and the counters along the wall. Is that too large of a space and if so, does anyone have any thoughts, insights or alternatives? Do you think it would be worth the cost to remove the remaining two columns considering we would have to cut costs elsewhere?

Also, the cabinetry along the wall is almost 20 feet and will be a mixture of closed and windowed cabinets, open shelving, etc. Is this too much cabinetry? We considered adding a window but the window would face a golf course and so it would have to be expensive unbreakable glass. Does anyone know of other alternatives for this space?

(note - in the attached first floor plan, we are dealing with a blank canvas. All cabinetry, flooring, built in desk, and the three french doors are all part of the remodel so any feedback is welcome.)

Comments (13)