SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
osxaddict

Vent-a-hood (vah) mounting system + vent cover issue..

osxaddict
16 years ago

We just spend a rather painful weekend mounting a 54" ZTH (model ZTH-354) style Vent-a-hood in our kitchen.. We ran into several unexpected surprises and reengineered the mounting setup for the most part.. Some of the issues were logistical errors on my part. However, the others are all on VAH as far as I'm concerned. One of the things that bit us was the weak system they use to mount it to the wall.. They use a ~1" thick furring strip made of either pine or fir (my guess) which is a very soft wood. After a few trials of hanging it on the wall to check fit, we ripped out all of the screws and the entire hood almost fell on the floor! Luckily I was underneath and was able to catch the hood on my head (no pain no gain!).

Anyway, to make a long story short we bought a thinner strip of Oak (kiln dried) from Lowes and a steel bar that was just shorter than the furring strip (the bar was ~1/8" thick give or take). We sandwiched the two together which made them as thick as the original furring strip was. We then drilled 2 holes (and did a bit of counter-sinking on them to make sure the screws mounted flush) in the steel bar to attach to our studs in the wall. Once that was done we drilled 3 more holes to match the VAH mounting holes (we put one additional hole in as we felt 2 holes was insufficient for a 54" hood) and used a tap to put 18/32 threads in the holes so we could use 18/32 machine screws to attach the VAH to the steel bar. Ultimately we feel this mounting technique is far superior to the factory suggested mount.. I'm not sure how others are mounting their VAH's but I'd be a bit concerned about hanging such a large hood with only two screws into a 1" thick piece of fir/pine. They could at least provide Oak or some other hard wood species.

The last issue that got us was the upper venting cover that hides the piping to the outside. This was also a VAH part and when you screwed it in place, the cover would stick out in the rear sufficiently enough to ensure that the VAH would not properly mount on their own furring strip (it was popped out by 3/16")... We took pics of that oddity but have the hood installed regardless (without one of the other trim pieces installed) and were only able to install 2 of the 4 cover screws. Ideally, I believe this was likely an issue with the way they cut the metal for the cover -- the holes appear to be in the wrong spot to me..

I've popped a note to VAH about both of these issues (the poor mount + vent cover issue) and will see what they say (if anything).. I can live with what we've got and could use a Dremel tool to modify one of the parts to make the top-cover fit, but I don't believe I should have to do this for a vent that cost ~$3500 (including required vent cover, outside vent,etc)

Comments (2)