SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ca_mom

2nd Layouts..w/ your great suggestions!

ca_mom
13 years ago

Hi all,

I'm trying again with my layout. I need to decide window placement soon as it affects the foundation. I really appreciate all your previous help.

Family recap: me, husband, kids 10, 13, 15. I cook all the time. The rest will too once there's room.

Orientation: Opens to family room "below." To right is dining room on other side of counter. Step down entrance from living room that is open to dining area. Left side door leads outside. April to October we eat dinner outside or in covered patio through this door. So placing sink and dishwasher all the way over here away from dining room isn't as odd as it would appear.

Casual entertaining. Summer, to left/outside. Winter, to right/dining room. But everyone always ends up in the kitchen, don't they...hence nice island!

Meals for three or fewer will sometimes be served at island.

Accidentally left out prep sink on island. Will be on top right corner. Also, I'll fit a small micro somewhere, either drawer unit in island or tucked in an upper. I'm not really stressing about this.

Views are okay, nothing spectacular. Top view is over steep backyard and I see utility lines. Thinking of tall windows down to counter height to orient view down, not only up and out. View to left is pretty patio with plants and bbq. View to right (where I've deleted architect's window) is across a deck to my bedroom.

In all plans, I've decreased the counter leading to dining room to increase kitchen wall space along right wall, and I have placed my warming drawer under that counter. Seems like it'd work great for serving.

Also not stressing about cabinetry layout yet. I'll have many drawers in lowers, will have a garbage/recyclng pull out near main sink, supersusan in non-pantry corner. Also may have island overhang extend around side/sides for more/alternate seating.

Downsized island to create 48" (45") aisles all around.

Option 1 will have a centered window over sink in "top" wall and side and/or corner windows on left side, combined with upper cabinets.

OPTION #1

Option 2 and 3 have cooktop centered and I'd put windows on either side. Sink on left wall would have window centered above. Difference between the 2 and 3 is the orientation of the pantry. (Found this great pocket-door pantry solution to a blind corner on a recent post...thanks!) One gives me a landing between fridge and pantry, other opens up top wall.

OPTION #2

OPTION #3

Sight line from rest of house will be mainly left and top wall, so I'm not upset about cluttering the right wall.

Thanks VERY MUCH for your help. This is so much harder than I thought it would be...and I really want to get it right!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!