SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mtnfever

Motawi 2nds! & Mural for BS? Pls help (long)

Last month I was able to go to the famed Motawi Seconds Room and snagged three more Pine Landscapes for 60% off-- MAJOR score and I was very excited to have all my star BS tiles--and thanks to circuspeanut who talked about Motawi! Then DH and I went to one of the U of M hospitals to visit one of his friends and lo, each floor had a Motawi mural in the elevator lobbies and all were different. Coincidentally (I think not!), the mural on his friend's floor was the Pine Landscape. Here are my Motawis (along with potential field tiles and laminate counter colors) and a shot of the whole mural. I apologize if the pics are big but otherwise it can be hard to see the detail if your eyes are as getting old as mine are.

I'm planning a DIY mini-facelift for my 1982 galley kitchen in all its beige and golden oak um, glory?..., which is staying because there's way too much in the entire house to even think about painting or staining. I would love your input but if you're feeling nauseous about a houseful of golden oak, I understand, and please feel free to move along to the next thread. The only thing I *might* do to reduce golden oak exposure :) is put opaque frosted glass in the few upper cabs that I have.

Thus, the only things changing in this kitchen are the backsplash, counters, and sink. The vintage sink was discussed in the thread some of you may recall http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1012393112808.html). The backsplash will be green tile with the Motawi tiles but I'm not sure if the mural will work or not. Counters will be very plain laminate but I'm not sure what color. Here are a couple of mockups that I did:

For the backsplash, I had been planning to have plain solid green field tile (either 4x4 or 6x6 are available) surrounding the Pine Landscapes. Once I saw the mural, I immediately wondered if I could use the pattern for a backsplash. Do you think it would be too busy? Or too Arts/Craftsman for my transitional contemporary rustic home? Or possibly too copyright infringing?? Do you think the plain field tiles in green would be better? In 6x6 or 4x4 or other size suggestions? To be fair, the mural field tiles will be Talavera, not Motawi. If y'all think the mural in concept would be ok, then I'll get a few correctly sized Talavera tiles for another sample review.

For the counter, I prefer Ikea Numerar laminate Aluminum with Metal Effect Edge which provides (I think) a more contemporary cool color along with the also vintage-y metal edge look. I know I'll be able to see things on these light counters, even in December when the sun sets at 3:30pm in our narrow mountain valley. Also, the cooktop and wall oven are stainless steel cool (as in color tone, not as in Cool Dude) too. Do you think a cool color can work in this kitchen?

Or, do I need to stay in the warm color family? Possibly a warmer brown to help the golden oak blend (per Marcolo in the Keeping the Golden Oak DAT-thank you!). Formica Earthen Warp, Chocolate Warp, and Dark Chocolate MicroDot are the current brown candidates. I like the Earthen Warp since it's lighter but the Chocolate Warp does provide a nice dark contrast to the lighter cab, backsplash, and floor colors around it and also ties to the floor grout and could tie to the BS grout if I matched it. I think the warp pattern harkens back to the sink's 1948 vintage.

Please let me know, what do you think? Thanks to all to who've read this far!

Comments (12)