SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jcoxmd

salvaged marble for countertop-pitfalls?

jcoxmd
14 years ago

I am planning a much needed remodel of the smallish kitchen in my 120 year old victorian. I am trying to have the kitchen feel updated but much in keeping with the rest of the house. I'm thinking English style unfitted but with a modern range.

One piece I'm planning to have built is a hutch with a marble countertop which I plan to use for baking prep. Yesterday I found a salvage yard with beautiful marble salvaged from a local historic building, assorted sizes, nice thickness- at $7 a square foot. (Seems like a bargain to me) I am tempted to go ahead and get some but need advice.

1) As I am happy with a vintage look I will not be put off by any small scratches in the marble, but are there other concerns with using a salvaged stone vs buying (and paying for ) new?

2) I was planning soapstone for the landing areas around the stove, but given the price of the marble am thinking maybe I should consider using this instead. I understand the issues with marble and staining, again I don't mind some patina. Any thoughts?

Comments (12)