SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

Countertops! Can't make up my mind!

TxMarti
13 years ago

I have been going back & forth on granite. I love the way it looks but afraid of the problems I've read about here. Then, this weekend I was at a neighbor's house. We were making frosting for a cake. She has Venetian Gold and it is gorgeous. I moved the cake and the narrow glass bottle of RED!!!color> food coloring fell over and made a horrible cracking clink sound. I thought I was going to be ill on the spot. Luckily, it didn't leak onto the counter. I thought of having to replace all her granite and felt ill again.

That did it for me. Granite is out. Stainless is out. Wood is out. Corian is out. Possibly soapstone though I'm not crazy about it. I keep going back to a laminate. It's durable, inexpensive, and leave me completely blah.

Is there another choice I haven't considered?

Comments (23)

• angieszen
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am getting Caesarstone because apparently you can land a plane on it and it will still look good. I wanted marble or wood but my husband doesn't want to worry about ruining the counters...more likely it would be a house guest that would put the pan on the wood counter, but I am forced to get bullet proof. From what I hear, Caeserstone (or any similar quartz material - silestone, etc) is about as tough as it gets.

By the way, our old kitchen had Corian and I loved it. I could get any stain out and it was the only nice thing left from a 1980's kitchen. I am not doing it again as we like the more stone look of Caesarstone but I think Corian is pretty tough stuff too.

• cbrfd
    13 years ago

I feel your pain. I'm in exactly the same predicament. I absolutely love, love, love quartzite but my head has told me to go with quartz countertops. I found a very nice Queralla quartz with tiny pieces of mirror in it (or as I keep telling myself...... little pieces of diamonds, LOL). I find that quartz doesn't have too much depth to it like granite does, but these little specs of mirror seem to help. It is really very nice, but I still find myself going to the photos of the quartzite counters and drooling. Luckily, I still have a little time to make up my mind. Have you looked at any quartz countertops? I brought a sample home and tired red wine, lemon juice, soy sauce, etc. and nothing seems to damage it. The only thing that I know of that you have to be careful about is not to put hot items on it. My KD absolutely loves quartz and highly recommends it, but as I said I keep going back to the photos of quartzite.... LOL

• Related Discussions

Talk me into or out of planting this...I can't make up my mind

Q

Comments (6)
    Well, I decided against it today. I just don't want to be bothered, truthfully. I ended up getting an Echinops instead, which gets around 4' or so, which will give some height to the area, plus it won't matter one bit regarding lack of watering. Now I need to find a home for the John Davis....my sister gets a lot of my hand-offs, hopefully she'll have room for another.
    ...See More

Can't make up my mind - concrete or flagstone?

Q

Comments (6)
    Flagstone patios are wonderful. The only downfall is that the stones have uneven surfaces which can make for difficulty leveling tables and seating. Personally, I do not like concrete. No matter how carefully it is installed, ground settling, climate change etc. cause cracks to develop. Consequently, I installed pavers. They can be lifted and re-leveled is necessary to maintain an even surface. I believe there are even flagstone looking pavers made now. The base compacting below the install is the critical element and if you have experienced contractors to consider, ask them what they believe works best in your climate. Good luck.
    ...See More

Can't make up my mind!!

Q

Comments (12)
    That rose fabric is gorgeous with the dark batik. I was all for #3 and for no WOW at all until I tried that trick with CTRL and the mouse wheel. (Such a great tip, Dian--Thanks!) Now I can see that from a distance the quilt as a whole would look nice with the rose and batik framed in white, although the contrast is a bit stark. But I am still thinking, like Kate, that I would prefer a pale yellow to the white. Possibly a pale yellow batik with an unobtrusive pattern. Is there something wrong with my brain, or are #1 and #4 pretty much the same thing, except that #1 looks darker? Does #4 have a different WOW?
    ...See More

ugh! can't make my mind up and dh is going to ...

Q

Comments (8)
    Maybe you can switch out the legs on the chairs that you have. They may just be screwed on. Search around or talk to your upholstery shop about what you can get instead. Good wood legs cost $10-16 up here, though I admit it's hard to find anything other than QA that long. The sports bar chairs in contrast may have through-going legs (continued from the frame) and might be stronger... and impossible to change. Overall, I too tend toward going to where you will have no regrets. If you didn't pay too much on CL, you can usually sell what you've bought and stay quasi-even. If it's a loss, I call it a cheap way to try something out or learn something. I suspect the upholstery job, if you have it done at a shop, will set you back some 1000 to 1500. I like to do that only on furniture that I absolutely LOVE. THAT is money you don't get back when you sell. KarinL
    ...See More
  • friedajune
    13 years ago

Marti8a - there is a big error in your logic (sorry, I mean that in the best way). You are assuming that all granites are the same. There are thousands of granites out there, and they have varying degrees of stain and etch resistance. Typically, the granites that have a lot of movement are more stain resistant, and the granites that are darker are more stain-resistant. Though that's not a hard and fast rule. And there are even some granites that appear to be stain proof. I have a granite called "Piracema" or "Wave". I've had it for 5 years, and have done all kinds of things to it, and spilled everything on it. It looks like the day it was installed. It was sealed when it was installed, but I have never resealed it, because it doesn't need it. It is so carefree, I cannot imagine having anything else as easy, and at the same time as beautiful. I mean, I absolutely love the marble counters I see on this Forum, OMG they're beautiful, but I couldn't live with the etching of marble. Nor could I live with the scratches and fingerprints of stainless. Nor the chipping of soapstone (though I love how they look and how they feel). I am also a "natural stone" person, so my personal taste is not for the manmade counters. Again, I am back at granite, and all the wonderful choices they come in.

There is a statistic for granite called an "absorption rate". That tells how dense the stone is. The lower the absorption rate, the more resistant to stains. I will link a list of granite names that show the absorption rates (the link is names A-L, and at the top of the page you can click for names M-Z). To use some examples, my Piracema granite has an absorption rate of .1-.3% which is low, but there are lower. The Venetian Gold your friend has is .25%-.3%, and a more absorptive stone (i.e. stain-prone) is Imperial White at .2-.4%. Furthermore, if you go to a granite yard, see a stone you like, but can't find the name on this list, just bring home a sample, and pour wine and mustard on it and see how it does.

Your idea that spilling something on a granite counter means having to replace all the granite is terribly exaggerated. Go to a stone yard, and see all the beautiful granites available, and you may decide it's for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Granite Lists with Absorption Rates

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It wasn't just the staining, although that is what made me physically ill. You should have seen the the look of horror on my neighbor's face! I can laugh about that now but oh the guilt I felt at the time. Just the fact that the little bottle tipped over and cracked really bothered me.

• friedajune
    13 years ago

Well, if that bottle tipping and cracking bothers you, then I guess don't get the granite. But your friend's "look of horror" and you being "physically ill" is just over the top. I have been on this forum for years, and I have never read of anyone having to replace their granite cause something spilled on it. Plus, would her reaction be the same even it the counter were laminate? I think so.

By the way, I grew up with laminate counters. One of my first chances of cooking on my own, I was about 11, I left a burn mark on the laminate. I still haven't forgotten it to this day, since I saw that mark on the counter every day of my life until my mom redid the kitchen, many years later. You can set a hot pan down on granite without worrying.

• nimela
    13 years ago

If you can handle dark countertops the "right" soapstone is wonderful. Porte Allegra or Minus Duro once polished by the fabricator does not have to be oiled unless you want to do it. if you scratch just sand it out. But it is very hard to scratch. The secret is buying a hard soapstone. check out Durado Soapstone website in Atlanta.... Have you seen the new Eco stone at (ugh) Home Depot. The new green countertop!

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Marti8a- I'm with you on the countertops. I live on a farm, have nieces and nephews of all ages "helping" in the kitchen, not to mention (even worse) husband's friends "helping" when they're here to watch football! LOL

The right countertop needs to be something you like, but makes life easier, not more stressful. I've never had people set things down without a potholder, but that doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

Look for something that fits your requirements and honestly, with all the beautiful backsplash possibilities and cabinet details (I love plate racks) the countertop is not the only thing people are going to see. If you have a more elaborate backsplash, a simpler countertop might be a good choice. Sometimes those fancy glass tiles can compete with a stone with too much "movement" if you know what I mean...no offense to anyone who loves that look :)

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

"Well, if that bottle tipping and cracking bothers you, then I guess don't get the granite. But your friend's "look of horror" and you being "physically ill" is just over the top."

Probably so, but it is brand new and her first granite, and I've never prepared anything on granite before. Sorry if our reactions were so uninformed.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Laminate, in my experience, stains more easily than granite...at least my granite.

I have Absolute Black Premium counters that have never been sealed and they are almost "bullet-proof". I have had all kinds of messes on my counters and nothing has affected them...vinegar, wine, tomatoes & tomato sauces, steel cans, etc. [It's "almost bullet-proof", but not perfect...my diamond ring scratched it. The scratch is so fine that it's almost invisible...but I have to search for it! Diamond will scratch any counter surface, btw.]

To add to AKChicago's information, stones with an absorption rate My laminate countertops in both my townhouse and the old kitchen of our current home stained fairly easily. Some stains came out w/bleach, others (like food coloring and rust from cans or other steel/iron items) did not. When we first built we could not afford anything more than laminate, so we got a gray speckled laminate that hid 99% of the stains...but the stains were still there. Laminate also scratches and can have problems if water gets into the seams.

Yes, laminate is often a low-cost alternative, but it is by no means "bullet-proof"...stone is usually better at that. However, it's true that laminate is easily and inexpensively replaced (if it's a low-cost laminate). Today's more expensive laminates can also look very nice and almost look stone-like...but those laminates start approaching the cost of the lower-priced granites. If you want laminate b/c you like laminate (it's "softer" than stone) or b/c that's all the budget can handle, then great. But if you're considering it just b/c you're afraid of stains, then I think you should think about it more.

One note, if your friend had forced you to pay to replace her counters b/c of a stain caused via normal wear & tear (i.e., not deliberate), then I would question how good a friend she is...but I don't think she would have. The "look of horror" was probably a knee-jerk reaction to the possibility of a stain on her counters, not an indication that she would blame you or make you replace them.

If you are someone who likes a "pristine", "show place" look, worries/gets upset about stains, scratches, nicks, etc., and replaces anything that shows wear & tear, then maybe laminate is best after all so you can replace it every year or two to get back the "pristine" look. That also means Soapstone is probably not for you since most are soft stones and scratch, etc. easily. (Yes, the scratches/gouges can usually be repaired, but at what cost....$$, effort, final look after repair if you're repairing a deep scratch or gouge? Would the "cost" be acceptable to you?)

BTW...quartz isn't perfect either. Engineered quartz is made by crushing quartz and then mixing it with resins and colors to create a "pattern". It can crack, stain, scratch, scorch/burn, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Help! Granite countertop installation this morning...

• Jon T
    13 years ago

As was mentioned above, some types/colors of granite are very stain resistant. Darker granites with lots of color variation and movement will hide some staining if it occurs.

If you find a slab of granite you love, ask if there is a small chunk of it available for you to take home. Have it sealed (or seal it yourself). Then abuse the heck out of it and see what happens.

HTH,
    Jon (lover of dark granite with lots of movement)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Marti8a- A lot of people love granite, but I'm not one of them. It's very pretty and very durable, but it doesn't go with my "vision" of the little french farmhouse...although I'm sure some on the forum would tell me the right granite will work anywhere...and they're probably right! LOL

If you aren't sure about granite, look at other choices. What kind of feeling do you want in your kitchen? What color/style are you cabinets, backsplash, floor, etc?

Here's my inspiration photo (I found it last night, so I'm probably posting it too often...but I love it). I'm thinking of using cream cabinets, maybe a beadboard backsplash and not sure about countertop, yet. What style are you going to have in your kitchen? What's your budget? What makes you happy?

See you over on the smaller homes forum :)

{{gwi:617005}}

• friedajune
    13 years ago

Marti8a - I didn't mean for my comment to come off as harsh, so I apologize. I guess I was just surprised at the severity of you and your friend's reaction to the bottle spilling. And trying to convince you that just that one experience shouldn't turn you away from all granites. Honestly, if you had lived with an easy-care granite like I have, you would shrug off anything spilling on it. Perhaps some of the other comments here about granite soften what I said.

Each countertop material has its pros and cons, and subsets within each too (like some granites are more stain-proof than others; some soapstones are harder and less apt to chip than others). You can go crazy trying to find the perfect countertop. I don't think the perfect countertop exists. So the best thing is to shop around in a comprehensive way - by that I mean don't just see one countertop and make up your mind. E.g. go to a stone yard and see all the varieties they have there, or go to a kitchen showroom and see all the manmade counters they have there, and make up your mind from a broad selection as to what you like best.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm not into pristine at all. I'm more the clean-up-tonight's-mess-tomorrow-type. I have a stainless counter on my patio & love it. I don't mind the scratches - it's just too modern for my kitchen.

lavender-lass, you nailed it with the look, and in my house, I think any surface would work (except stainless) and still look like a country farmhouse. I want it to look simple and comfortable, which is another reason I'm not sure about granite. Most, not all, kitchens with granite look too much like a showpiece, and I want mine to say "roll up your sleeves and let the fun begin!"

I am reusing the existing '80's oak cabinets where possible, and am replacing white appliances with more white appliances. I am also keeping my white marble-look tile flooring.

I am getting rid of my cast iron divided sink and going with a stainless one-bowl sink because I'm tired of bumping dishes against that divider. I'm afraid if I put in granite, I'll regret it the minute I chip the edge of a plate on it.

Another thing I just thought of is using granite everywhere but my prep area. Don't know what I'd use there if I did that though.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

I was sort of amazed when I read that you are worried about the durability of granite. When it comes to spills, I think granite is one of the easier things to care for. But I agree with the other posters who say to bring home samples and do a test. Red wine, oil, mustard, lemon juice... let them sit overnight. Scratch the surface with a key. See how different types of stones, laminate, solid surface, etc. react.

My old kitchen had white laminate that I HATED. If I left a receipt on the counter and it got wet, just for a moment, there was a purple/gray stain. Opening a can on the counter left a gray ring. Forget about red wine or food coloring.

My dark granite is very forgiving, and I have kids and we have lots of parties.

My scratch and stain test is the reason I got polished instead of honed; although I loved the honed, my sample showed scratches and stains.

Some people have posted about their leathered granites, which seem to wear very well.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I didn't say it well enough if it seemed that I am worried about the durability of granite - though I was concerned about stains after seeing my neighbor's freak-out face.

I am concerned that if a little glass bottle sitting on the counter fell over and broke, that it will be really hard on my dishes if I lose my grip on something - and the older I get, the more that seems to happen.

lavender lass - forgot to say back to you, see you on the small house forum!

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

marti8a: yes, I misunderstood. Granite isn't too forgiving if you drop something breakable on it.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Marti8a- I totally agree with your philosophy...have fun tonight, clean it up tomorrow.

This is a little different, but what about stainless steel with a beveled wood edge? Would that be too modern? I saw that somewhere, but it really warmed up the stainless steel. I think they only used it on the island. Maybe Candice Olson? Anyway, very cool and practical.

Soapstone might be a fun choice. It looks old and would go well with cream or wood cabinets. I like your white appliances...I'm thinking about putting the white tiles with the little blue corners (very french) behind the stove. It's not expensive, but it looks great! :)

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

akchicago, I probably over reacted too. The incident was probably like almost getting the first scratch on a new Lexus for my neighbor. I'll go back over there in a month or so when the new has worn off and see how she feels about cleaning spills on it.

lavender lass, I've never seen stainless with a wood edge, but I'll do a search. I had thought of stainless behind the stove top, but knowing me, it would always be splattered. For that reason, a busy granite there would be a great idea, and easy to clean too with no grout lines.

• brookelizabeth
    13 years ago

Take a look at formica's soapstone. I discovered it on this forum and made the leap in our new house. I love it. I have had granite before and tired of the color after 4 years. With formica, I can change it if I want to and it's a pretty good soapstone fake. Love the dark charcoal. My house has what I call a modern cottage feel.

Good luck

• davidro1
    13 years ago

food coloring. And you didn't even test it to see if it really does stain, and then if the stain really stays or can be cleaned off easily. Food coloring. That didn't touch the counter after all. Ya know, it makes me thenk some people manage to turn anything into a frightful experience. And then as soon as I walk into a room, they tell me those little things no longer seem important. Anyone got any other problems they need fixed? : - )

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks brookelizabeth. I couldn't find it in Formica, but found an oiled soapstone in Wilson Art. Is this it?

Oiled Soapstone

• Circus Peanut
    13 years ago

marti8a, I'm not a granite fan either, and I'll say it out loud. :-) There are factors other than durability which bother some people, factors which might also be true for you. I had it in my previous kitchen and found it too loud and clanky. It's way too cold on winter mornings before the heat kicks in (I live in Maine). Also, mine was polished and, aesthetically, I dislike that kind of coffee-table surface in a working kitchen.
    And speaking to what might have been your real worry about tipping that little glass bottle, I was indeed forever breaking water glasses on the sink cutout overhang or by just dropping them.

So folks needn't obsess on the friend/food coloring story; there are many quite legitimate reasons someone might not choose stone beside the staining issue. :-)

That said: Marti, what do you like best of the surfaces you've seen/experienced? If you love metal but think stainless is too modern for your vision, have you considered pewter, zinc or copper? Any of these can be very cottage-vintagey. (Full disclosure for this bias: I have copper countertops.) And stainless really IS authentic for the early 20th century, in case that's a worry.

Best of luck!

• olga_d
    13 years ago

As others have said there are plenty of granites that are extremely low maintenance. They do tend to be the dark varieties though. I have one (Verde Peacock) and I am definitely as you say "clean it up the next day" kind of person. Ok, sometimes it takes a few days if I don't see it or in the case of those persistent splatters around the stove. ;)

I think a dark granite would look lovely in your kitchen if you go with a textured rather than a polished finish on it. It would have a bit of edge to it and not scream "shiny and new". That said it is a stone, and I think like most stones it's pretty hard. So for the breakage concern a laminate may work very well for you.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH