SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
holligator_gw

new member--need input on layout

holligator
16 years ago

Hi folks, I'm new here, although I've been lurking for a month or two. I'm about to embark on my kitchen remodel, and although I've done tons of research, I feel like I should be doing more.

I worked with a KD for awhile, but I got frustrated at both his failure to listen to my wishes and his disregard for my budget. He also gave me several bits of information that I have since found to be completely false. For example, his company doesn't deal in soapstone, so he tried to talk me out of it by telling me that it's very porous. Ugh.

Anyway, I have a pretty clear idea of what I want, so I have finally decided to go with a custom cabinet maker whose work I have seen and been impressed with. Little did I know it would cost about 40% LESS to go custom!

I plan to have shaker style cabinets in a natural cherry with soapstone countertops and stainless appliances. Here's my latest layout, along with a few questions about changes I'm considering.

1. Any thoughts on the basic layout, work triangle, etc.?

2. I'm thinking that I don't need aisles quite that wide and would rather have the space used in a bigger island. Would it be bad to have 40" between the island and the stove?

3. The cabinets opposite the stove will be floor to ceiling pantry (plus a desk near the bottom right corner). The KD couldn't get anything less than a 24" base cabinet, so I was going to be stuck with 18" uppers sitting on 24" bases. But, since by custom cabinet maker can make them any depth, I'm thinking about 18" base and upper. Do you think this will look good? Is 18' deep enough for the desk? It would also give me more room for that bigger island.

4. I'm thinking of moving things a bit on the fridge wall. I'd like a small broom closet in the bottom right corner (maybe 12"), so I'm thinking of sliding the 12" shelves down a foot, thus moving the fridge and making the drawer unit next to the fridge narrower. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

Comments (23)