SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fiveunderfive_gw

layout help - where to put microwave. Dont want OTR

fiveunderfive
13 years ago

We are finalizing plans for our new house. This has been a long process (when is it not) that has changed from a proposed addition to our current house to a new build. We have the land, and are finalizing the plans. Unfortunately, our builder/GC was dx with cancer in August and things are currently on hold, though as of yesterday he is still eager to proceed with our project. I linked the basic first floor plan below (the measurements are not entirely accurate, as we have made several updates since this plan, but I don't have a way to scan the final docs in to upload and share), and here is a pic of the house design it is based upon (the 1999 Life mag dream home)

http://www.homeportfolio.com/Pop/GreatAmericanHomes/10.19.01/pop_image.1.jhtml

As a family of soon-to-be 8 (with potential for continued growth) we like to joke that we are building the big version of the "not-so-big" house. Our current dilemma is in the kitchen. It's basically L shaped, as it is open on one side to the dining room and on the adjacent side to the living room. The outside wall is basically all windows, anchored on the left (if you are looking out the windows) by the double ovens with a 24in sideways facing wall cabinet for glass/plate storage. The main wall has a fridge at the far end (initially was going to be 2 full sized side by side fridge/freezers, but we had to cut 3 feet off, so it will now likely be a french door combined unit), drop in range (hopefully 6 burner) in the middle flanked by 2 36 inch cabs on either side. The small piece to the right of the fridge will be an outward facing message center/cell phone charging station. DH wants the right cabinet upper btwn the range and fridge to house the MW, but I am concerned as that is one of only 2 uppers we will have in the entire kitchen!! YIKES! There will be a fair amt of lower drawer space, and the island will also have some storage as well, though a chunk will be taken up by garbage and recycling pull outs. I hate to give up our huge wall of windows as we will have some incredible views out there, it will be seen from the entire house, and it is mimicked in the living room. I REALLY do NOT want an OTR MW. We have one now and i HATE it. I am medium in ht (5ft7) and DH is 6ft2, so the higher height isnt really the issue. But I don't like that it is crowded on the stove with canners/large stock pots (which I use a lot because of our large immediate and extended family) when confined by the MW. However, I don't know where else we could put it. DH does not want it in the island b/c he is the primary user of it and he is tall and has a bad back. However, that is where I think it needs to go. I know someone here has a MW in the island. How does it work for you? Any other suggestions? I see how marriages end over things like this! NOT that we are fighting over this (yet) but building a house and all the decision making that comes with it is very stressful. We are fortunate to be able to even consider this, but we are already scaling back in many areas to keep it under budget and I personally am having a hard time getting all of our wants and needs accounted for. Any ideas are appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: basic downstairs floor plan

Comments (14)