SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thepaintedlady_gw

How much room do I need to put a table in the middle

thepaintedlady_gw
12 years ago

...of the room?

My husband and I are looking to redo the kitchen in our house "soon" (We put soon at 1.5 years / next spring-ish).

By way of reference here is our house:

Here is the kitchen as it sits (actually it's been primed because I can not take the orange).

Eventually we plan on gutting it (we've been back and forth on it but we've decided if we're going to spend 20k "fluffing" it we might as well get exactly what we want). And we're thinking the renovation will cost about 70k (this is me wincing).

Anywho. Rather than an island I would like to get a table in the middle of that room and I'm wondering how much room I need. The kitchen itself is 12 x 16 (ish, it's a Victorian nothing is really exact).

There is a butler's pantry to the right (not shown) and a mud room with laundry and extra storage to the left (also not shown). In theory we could push both those walls out but I would like to avoid this as: 1.) it is expensive - and if I have to pick between that and keeping my budget around 70k and getting a nice stove I'm keeping the footprint and getting a nice stove; and 2.) I like having the defined entry way because it keeps the cold and mud out.

If you have any suggestions as to what you would do with this space - the sky is the limit, I would love to read what you have to say. My personal tastes run to the simple, I would like to go with a kvänum / kennebec look for the cabinets but if you have some time suggest something (that will fit with a Victorian) please, because we often don't know we like something until we know it exists.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022