SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
minette99

What Else do You Love, Now That You're Done!

minette99
15 years ago

It's been a few months since my small kitchen was finished (July, 08) and now that it's done, I've discovered some other little things that I just love more than I'd thought I would. Little surprises! I'm wondering if others have made discoveries, too... I'l start!

So, beyond the obvious things, granite counters, new floor, etc...

I LOVE my new under mount sink! The deeper bowl feels like it's a yard deeper than my old sink and it's a pleasure. This is a surprise because this sink was a "rushed" choice for me. I quickly picked a D, then fretted over it after. From the moment it went in, I was in love.

I also love my new faucet. The satin finish is so easy to keep clean -- it always looks clean. And it's pretty! My old one was, well... just a faucet.

I love my wall mounted TV, too. As I have a small kitchen, I didn't have a TV in it before... didn't want to steal valuable counter space. BUT, it did bug me that when cooking and watching the news or something, I was running to the family room to catch something on TV. So I had my contractor mount a small flat screen on the wall for me. Oh, I love it there! Looks nice and makes the whole experience of being in my "beautiful-to-me" kitchen even more enjoyable!

Glass door knobs -- I have 3 doors in/off my kitchen -- guest bath, new pantry and basement. Treated myself to 3 brand new paneled doors and matching glass door knobs. I smile every time I use the knobs. So pretty and such a nice touch! And everyone comments on them when they use them! Suddenly, "there they are!" A little wow factor and an excellent choice.

Counter stools... I searched for way too long to find the "right" stool. Really, I felt like Goldilocks. My prior stool was so uncomfortable, it was another of many reasons I HATED sitting in my kitchen. I must have sat on a hundred stools searching for the right look and comfort all in one. I did find exactly what I wanted and I love them even more now. I love that I can sit in my new kitchen, very comfortably, for a really long time...

I'd love to know what others have found because my kitchen will only be "done" when I say so! :)

Comments (31)

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

well, I am not quite moved in yet, but I can already tell you that I LOVE LOVE LOVE the number of drawers I have in this kitchen. I was cleaning construction dust up on Saturday and as I vacuumed out drawer after drawer it sort of dawned on me that there are so many drawers (29) it will be hard to remember where stuff is!! I just know I will love this kitchen.

I am glad to hear you like the satin finish on your faucet...that's what both of mine are.

• jessie21
    15 years ago

minette, where is your kitchen? I would love to see it!

• Related Discussions

Is What You Say You're Selling REALLY What You're Selling?

Q

Comments (2)
    thanks bboy: so you are saying that you visually inspect them for known characteristics? is there a better way? that seems like it could get subjective with "taste" or "color" etc. And what about a blueberry bush I have that I know nothing about other than it's a blueberry bush given to me? I should find a list of all known cultivars of blueberries characteristics (i'm presuming this would be very long) and start going down the list doing my best guesses or just sell it as a "blueberry bush unknown" or something else? thanks
    ...See More

Now, you're done-what do you wish you had known while planning?

Q

Comments (68)
    My opinion on pot fillers. If the pot is too heavy to carry to the stove when the water is cold, I sure don't want to carry it to the sink when the water is boiling. For the effort/cost I don't need one. YMMV, though. I wish I had run my layout by gardenweb members for feedback. I wish I would have thought about a pull out cutting board. I haven't had one for about 30 years and had adapted. Would really like to have one again. The matt white Formica shows every speck of everything! Good, because I can wipe it off right away. Bad because if I haven't wiped it off right away everyone can see it. I live on a gravel road. I rarely use my a/c. Windows are open all the time. The FX stuff I originally planned might have been a better choice. Maybe next time. I do like the look of the white, though. I really hate my upper diagonals but I also hate the blind corner cabs. The more complicated pull down/out doesn't appeal to me. Problem still not solved. I don't like what I have but I don't like the other choices. I thought and thought about this and only came up with the three "I wishes", so all in all, my kitchen turned out pretty good. I am more than delighted to have the peninsula gone and every time I think about my new kitchen I suspect my face has the orgasm expression.
    ...See More

Here's a FREE art project for you..just frame it and you're done!

Q

Comments (16)
    I went to the wordles site when the OP posted in Sept. and had fun playing with it. If I recall correctly, I did a save as just as with any document.And I printed it. I hadnt done a "good" one, I was experimenting. I recommend you try it out first. Have fun. I am planning on making gifts for my DD and DH for Christmas.
    ...See More

Which table? And what else should I do to make bedroom look more done?

Q

Comments (35)
    I love those pictures with the beautiful curtains. But looking closely at my room, I'm not sure I have room for sheers to the side of the windows. The space between the window trim and room corners is not very big. If I do do curtains, would I only do them over the window behind the love seat? Not around the two windows on the wall with the bed next to the night stands right? I am definitely going to move the art. Building for the CATS, that bedding is very pretty! The lamps are also very nice... but would I have to get an electrician? I'm not sure I want to get into that... I had an electrician come last year and move a plug 12 inches in my media room and it was very difficult, time consuming, and costly b/c of the way our attic is constructed. nosoccermom, I do like the glass table, some of those overstock ones look nice. They might pick up the color of the little birds in my other table. I really like the idea of the ceramic garden stool too and I'm looking for one that would pick up the sofa colors... ingrid, not too critical at all. I do like a cozy bedroom :) k9arlene I will look for lamps... maybe blue ceramic from the prior suggestion. Thanks so much for all the suggestions. I am on the hunt for bedding now!
    ...See More
  • debsan
    15 years ago

My kitchen isn't near finished yet, but already one of my favorite things is my trash chute. I have the trash pull-out built into my island, and directly over it, I have a small hole. I had purchased a stainless trash chute, but it just seemed too industrial, so I found a gent to make me one out of copper. I fretted about the size and about having a big hole cut in my island, & almost talked myself out of it. I ended up with something that is both super convenient and very attractive. I don't know how many of you are Rachael Ray fans, but this is way better than her "garbage bowl" for keeping workspace neat when prepping food.

• cosmo_nj
    15 years ago

We got a 24" wide fridge so we could fit in a 12" wide pullout pantry. 2 different KDs told me I was crazy (would kill resale, a smaller fridge would not be big enough for our growing family). We love it! The fridge is more than big enough (it is 80" tall, and actually holds more than our old 30" x 68" builder grade model). The freezer is small, but we don't really do much long-term freezing. And the pantry is life-changing.

We did hedge our bets - the installers built the pantry so we could take it out and fit a 36" wide fridge in the space should our needs change (or if resale does become an issue).

• flatcoat2004
    15 years ago

I love the light.

The old "kitchen" was so dark that even on the brightest, sunniest days, you would need to turn on the lights to be able to see anything. I put in a big skylight and replaced the small window with french doors to the new deck, and the amount of light that floods in on even the dreariest days still astounds me. It does wonders for my mood.

Another thing I love is how the kitchen now connects and works with the rest of the house.

The Franke Orca is also pretty nice :-) As are the deep drawers for pot&pan storage.

• lascatx
    15 years ago

I love my pantry -- a 12" pullout and a 24" with rollouts (cosmo nj, I agree -- if I had a small kitchen, I would give up fridge space for the pullout).

I love my big single bowl sink.

I love having two DWs and that they are quiet and work well (we hedged that one and figured we could slide in another 24" cabinet or another appliance if we didn't feel we needed them both)

I love having a prep sink and a second trash area.

I love having fridge drawers in the breakfast room hutch.

I love getting the coffee maker (and esoresso machine) out of the kitchen and into that same hutch.

I love having a gas cooktop again.

I love having two ovens that work again.

I love having a fridge where I can see everything, get to everything and everything is in a place that makes sense.

I love my potfiller -- the prep sink faucet is much lower flow and would be so slow to fill a pot.

I love all my wooden drawer organizers and having everything in its place.

I love my spice drawer.

I love my baking area.

I love my deep cabinets above the fridge and pantry cabinets. They are such great storage.

I love my marble counters and the Cambrian island top.

Actually, the only thing I'm not really happy with is the tile. We did it before the kitchen was done and kept it, but it is getting hard on my feet and the contractor really botched the places they had to patch. A few have cracked akready and we will have to replace it at some point.

• earlygirl44
    15 years ago

DH wanted a french door fridge and he usually has very sensible reasons , but I really wanted the ice and water on the door and I love it
    I almost canned the instant hot , but I love it
    we did cabinet panels on the DW and the compactor and they make the cabinets look really professional
    The tile I chose for the backsplash . I knew I loved it when I ordered it but when it went up on the wall I was blown away !
    we did a lot of lighting - cans, undercab, a single light over the sink ,a pendant , a fan - but it allows us to change the mood.
    And finally I removed a little dividing wall and extended the base cabinets to create a mini island - that is where I am sitting now, and I love it !!!!

• susan4664
    15 years ago

I love my Peacock Green granite.
    I love my pantry with pull-out shelves.
    I love my blumotion cabinet doors.
    I love my pull-out trash.
    I love my ORB hardware.
    I love all the molding and details around the cabinets.

P.S. I love everything else about my kitchen as well!

• lovetocook9
    15 years ago

I love your loves!! Would LOVE to see all your pictures... I looked in the FKB and couldn't find one of them??

• earlygirl44
    15 years ago

we just finished our slide show and DH is the tech guy so he needs to post the pictures , any advice on that by the way ?

• jeanar
    15 years ago

It has only been a week, but . . .

Love my lowered island top, since I'm only 5'2.

Love my soapstone.

Love my GE Profile appliances.

• lovetocook9
    15 years ago

earlygirl44 - I just posted that very questions a few weeks ago - this technical stuff is so new to me, still learning. Following the instructions given to me I was able to post my pictures - yeahhh, when I post pictures again I will need to go back to this for reference. I copied using properties on the post but not sure it will work?? If it doesn't you can do a search on the thread - it was posted Oct 15 entitled "How do I post a picture with my message?" You'll have to let me know if the link I placed below works : ) Good luck & can't wait to see them!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1015425820835.html

• gailrolfe
    15 years ago

susan4664, I would love to see a picture of your peacock green granite counters....we are not yet in the "what do I love" category but rather the "what do I want" category and are looking at a number of green options for countertops. the one we love the most of course is the most expensive--verde antique from Vermont....so we're looking for some other options. Can you post a pic? Thanks!

• furletcity
    15 years ago

My kitchen was a very low budget diy so my loves are quite simple! We took a wall down which made the kitchen 17x25 vs 8x11. I love the new larger space and the large 4x6 island in the center. Having a propane stove again (had an old electric the past 7 years) with a working vent(no vent for the same duration) has been awesome. I love my large, deep ticor sink-it hides a mountain of dirty dishes. I adore my wood floors, and would never consider anything else unless it was even more comfortable to stand on. We have yet to install cable lighting down the center of the room, but I know I will love that also.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

I love my counter to ceiling window bumpout and I love my dishwasher (particularly its cutlery rack and short cycle... only 30 minutes... gotta love that).

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

My kitchen's been done for over three years but just this week I was thinking about how much I love the lighting. I kind of went crazy on lighting - above cabinet, in cabinet, under cabinet, light bridge over sink, pendants over island and lights in range hood - and every thing either dims or has mutiple levels so there's different lighting for my every mood. I'm not a big fan of overhead lighting (which I don't have) so all this other lighting is such a treat.

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

oooh, this is easy. I love:

1) new layout with wider aisles and good work triangle
    2) soapstone
    3) deep deep Blanco single sink
    4) all those great drawers, including 36" wide pot drawers under my cooktop and dish drawers
    5) soft close glides. I love these so much :)
    6) lights, lots of lights!
    7) pullout pantry drawers
    8) Plugmold and airswitch and unbroken backsplash that results
    9) my vent hood (both form and function!)

1. I find it soothing and beautiful
    2. unlike many people here, I love my compactor. I really missed it during the remodel
    3. my big (for me) island and seating at the island. It is a natural gathering place.

Anita

• minette99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Anita and Gabby -- The lights! I forgot how cool updated lighting is! Yeah, I love my lighting, too, but I knew I would, especially in a 1926 home. The kitchen hadn't been touched in 30 years, so I was ecstatic the day the electrician showed up!

The other thing I thought of is -- now that my kitchen is done a few months, it really seems cleaner all the time and it's easier to clean, too. Even when it's not clean, it seems clean! Of course I do baby it more than before... but there were areas in my kitchen before that I could scrub forever and they still looked grubby.

I am so looking forward to Thanksgiving as I'll be having 16 people here -- gasp! My family are coming in from 3 states and on the rare occasion when that happens my home is a natural meeting spot. The last time that happened was 4 years ago only 3 months after I moved in. We all laughed a lot then about my kitchen (in a fun way) but this time I'm glad we can enjoy it!

• rosalita
    15 years ago

1. Love having blumotion drawers for my pots and pans -I have mainly drawers as opposed to pull out cabinets and LOVE it.
    2. Love the Black Silgranit deep undermount sink. No more icky rim to clean, the black doesn't scratch and the depth is just heavenly. I "almost" enjoy washing pots and pans now.
    3. Love the roll out pantry
    4. Love my convection microwave and Bosch oven. I had tried convection and didn't think I'd really use it but wow - once you've roasted anything it's MUCH juicier and the outside is crisp. Cookies are SO much better.

• cindyinsocal
    15 years ago

Love my. . .
    Single bowl sink (everything fits, even the big All Clad pans)
    Drawers instead of bottom cabinets (I can find everything)
    Baking Center (flour, sugar, etc in bins in drawers with mixing bowls, etc.)
    36" oven (Full size baking sheets fit. I can bake a double batch of cookies at one time)
    Soft Close drawer glides

• fran1523
    15 years ago

I love the lazy susan and pullouts that my contractor built into the existng cabinets. I also love the hardwood floor and the new bigger window behind the sink. Basically I love it all but those things stand out.

• abbycat9990
    15 years ago

- Single bowl pegasus sink in black. It's quiet, easy to clean and sooo big!
    - Lots of natural light and a great view for ALL the creatures in the family

- Counterspace. With a view... and sometimes a cat.
    - Recessed, bottom-freezer fridge. It's big, beautiful and has an icemaker!!
    - Easy access (12"D) pantries. Learned to love them in last house, would not waver on them for this kitchen.

- The convenient location of the dishwasher (result of a last minute flip of the layout). Having a DW is relatively new to us (like the icemaker-LOL!). I don't know how we survived before...
    - Funky tile and chimney hood. Non essential, but fun!
    - Bookcase for cookbooks. I thought a 24" unit would be spacious; It's already full.

- Island for eating and baking.
    - Drawers! learned to love these in last house too. And, again, had to fight the GC/KD. Clearly, these guys don't use their kitchens!
    - A variety of lighting options: Pendants, and two sets of cans, all on different switches.

• lucypwd
    15 years ago

Love every drawer - and where there aren't drawers I would LOVE to have drawers....Don't let anyone talk you out of drawers
    LOVE - garbage and recycle pull outs
    Love that I removed the one remaining upper cabinet and sent the tile soaring to the ceiling.
    Love my miele DW, and DIVA induction cooktop
    Love my undermount orca sink
    Love the marble, tile, and granite perimeter.
    Oh and I also love my precious pendants over the island. My lighting is so much better than before.
    Mustn't forget the love for wider aisles.

• susan4664
    15 years ago

Gail,
    I Love Posting pictures of my kitchen!

The picture below is to show the granite close up. The two yellow dots are reflections of the lights above.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Susan- thanks sooo much for posting your pics! They show what I want to do but Hubby is resisting (mixing knobs and pulls and raised panels on small drawers).

• deedee-2008
    15 years ago

I also love the drawers and pull-outs I now have....I find my kitchen is so much more organized than before. So much less clutter/junk on the counters now that I have more space to store things. I especially love the "hidden" cabinet the GC put into the dead space at the outside corner of the pennisula. I keep my breadmaker, espresso machine, crockpot and baskets in there, instead of going down to the basement to retrieve them. I also love my wood floors instead of that ugly, dirty "white" (in name only) vinyl, and the UC lights that allow me to see what I'm working on. Even with all the drama and $$$, my new kitchen was worth every penny.

• minette99
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Jessie21, here is a link to a thread from when I posted my "postage stamp" kitchen. :) It's a little thing, but a little thing of bliss to me! There are several pics if you scroll through the thread.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Minette

• november
    15 years ago

I'm lurking around here now that my kitchen has been done for almost a year, but there are so many things I love about it:

lots of drawers
    our gorgeous honed black countertops
    the big island that fits people and prep and homework and everything we need!
    the big, deep single-bowl sink
    the vent hood that really works
    double ovens
    the kitchen's new location in the center of the house
    enough cabinet space
    a walk-in pantry for the first time ever!
    I love the fact that stuff doesn't have to sit on the couters - there are places to put things away

Here's what I don't love:
    french door fridge
    not having 2 dishwashers - we should have done 2 - we have three kids who eat all the time
    the prep sink - I don't really use it

But in general, I absolutely adore my kitchen, one year in. It's incredible to have such a nice space for our family, and for entertaining our extended family.

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

Love the Butler's pantry off the kitchen which also has the all freezer unit, 8 drawers and 2 cabinets - tons of storage

Love the big all freezer and all fridge units although not the brand originally purchased.

Love the filtered hot and cold water dispenser.

Love the sink so deep you can't see the dirty dishes unless you're right on top of it. With a dishpan also makes a great bath tub for the puppy LOL

Love having 2 Dishwashers and love that they are SOOOO quiet

Love my floating bar and that my kids can talk to me while doing homework and I'm making dinner

LOVE having a computer in the kitchen (Love my new MacGourmet program too)

Love the Magic corner units - I have so much extra space

Love the toekick drawers

Love my can drawers

Love all my drawers - the 2 36" drawers are amazing for storing pots and baking stuff

Love my pot rack in the cupboard

Love having no smells - yeah venthood

Love the pull through trash which opens from either side of the peninsula

Love my WORKING Double Ovens

Love my pull out pantry

Most of all LOVE the ease with which it all works together

One year later what I wish I had done differently:
    * Put one DW closer to the prep area instead of having both in the clean up area
    * Put in a back splash instead of waiting - it may never get done
    * Put in a whole house water filter instead of just the drinking water
    * Sacrificed one upper cabinet for bigger windows. I had so little storage before and I was so scared of not having enough in this kitchen that I went with storage over a window. Even though the window I have now is bigger than the old one, a bigger one would have been even nicer
    * Chosen a better brand of fridge and freezer. Our GE Monogram all fridge freezer unit will shortly be replaced with Miele units

• rosie
    15 years ago

Love the spaciousness, views, and breezes of having all windows and no cabinets over my work counters.

Like Abbycat, love having the 12"-deep floor-to-ceiling pantry cabinets, which also worked so well for us in our previous home.

Wish I'd done and may eventually do: Considered partitioning off part of the under-sink cabinet next to the dishwasher for dish storage. Because the DW's at the end of a counter with no uppers and with no cabinets facing it on the island, unloading the DW is not as efficient as it could be. This is a big Duh! because my situation turns this industrial-neighborhood kitchen real estate into beachfront. :)

• earlygirl44
    15 years ago

hey nomorebluekitchen
    I love,love,love my compactor as well... DH insisted and I said OK..,
    I love that the garbage is cleaner and doesn't have be taken out every other minute and is out of site
    what do people complain about ????