SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
worldmom_gw

new and have some questions

worldmom
15 years ago

Hello everyone,

I've been lurking here for quite some time and now have reached the stage with our kitchen planning where I could use some help. We live in a very large 1910 home, but our current kitchen, although only about 6 years old, is a nightmare - kitchen carpet, cheap oak cabinets, non-matching appliances - you get the idea. Our new space will incorporate the original kitchen, 2 butler's pantries, mudroom and "sewing room," but it's still not a very large area. We've spent hours and hours with the design, trying to maximize every inch of space. (I should mention here that we have 12 kids, so maximizing space is pretty important business to us!) ;o)

Anyway, we are planning on a kitchen that is a snazzed up version of our original butler's pantries: white shaker stacked cabinets, nickel hardware, oak floors, subway tile backsplash, fireclay apron sink, schoolhouse pendants, etc. Our appliances will be stainless, and we're installing the ginormous Frigidare all-refrigerator/all-freezer pair because they will work well for our large family.

Here are my most pressing questions at the moment. I guarantee there will be others. ;o)

1. Is there someone here who I could pay a small fee to for taking our plans and putting them into a 3D program so we can better visualize what this will all look like? We have drawn out our own on the computer, but our cabinet guy, while an amazing craftsman, has not embraced the beauty of 21st century computer technology. ;o) While I can see the whole thing perfectly fine in my head, my hubby really needs some help in the conceptualization department!

2. We're planning on a quiet soapstone for the perimeter countertops, but are thinking of having our island done in black and don't want it to have a black top. We're searching for alternative, affordable top options. Are we nuts to consider marble with our large family? What about wood/butcher block? I really dislike granite, so I'm not sure what other options we have. (Our island top will be 60x72). Also, we're leaning toward a honed carrara subway tile for the backsplash, and I'm worried that throwing in another texture/pattern on the island top might be too much. But I also worry that doing the island in the same white with soapstone top as the cabinets might be overkill. Any thoughts?

3. Our ceiling will be 9.5 feet and I'm struggling with whether our top layer of upper cabinets should go all the way to the ceiling or stop at 9 feet or so? I also can't decide if I want latches on the upper doors or just knobs.

4. Finally, do any of you have a chalkboard panel door (from Simpson, I believe)? We're leaning toward that door style for the pocket door to our pantry/laundry room.

OK, that's it for now. Thanks in advance for any help! :o)

Comments (13)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH