SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alliern_gw

Finished Kitchen Pictures (except backsplash)

alliern
15 years ago

Hello! I am happy to finally be able to say that our house is done and we moved from NYC to Colorado 3 weeks ago! Here are some pictures of our new kitchen...I am so enjoying it! I am still undecided about what to do for a backsplash...have to make a decision soon but I wanted to live in the house for a little while before deciding :)

Details:

DW, Fridge, microwave/convection oven (Kitchen Aid)

6 burner dual-fuel 36" range (Thermador)

Thermador Traditional Silent 42" Hood w/remote blower

Perimeter countertop Black Minas Soapstone from Dorado Soapstone

Island Countertop Honed Statuario Marble

Perimeter Cabinets custom built with BM Simply White paint

Island Custom Built Alder

Floor Owens PlankFloor 6" Walnut with Satin Water Based Polyurethane

Delta Allura Faucet and soap dispenser

Danze Pot Filler

Cabinet hardware from Restoration Hardware

Comments (49)

• remodelqueen
    15 years ago

What a beautiful kitchen. I love the ceiling!!

• maydl
    15 years ago

It's just gorgeous! So light and bright. The ceiling and arches add so much interest. Are you "moved in" yet? Are you loving working in that beautiful kitchen?

• Related Discussions

finished kitchen still no backsplash ... slow go on the sunroom

Q

Comments (9)
    doraville - you're right its never done! I decided to go with white cellular shades and curtains over the sliders. eastbaymom - Wow I never thought luxurious, but thank you! I'm really happy with the way every thing turned out. The backsplash is a difficult choice, its dificulty trying to decide without taking away from the beauty of rest of the kitchen. As for the floors we chose brazilian teak for the sunroom. The color variation is absolutely beautiful. LOVE THEM!
    ...See More

Finished White Kitchen -- need help with backsplash PLEASE!

Q

Comments (32)
    I agree about the subways. They give such a simple sophisticated look without detracting from your granite and other design elements. I have a similar color schemed kitchen and DH and I went back and forth about our backsplash. Finally, decided to go with the matching subways (to our cream cabinets) and we LOVE them! Behind our range top we chose to set them vertically and we love how it gives it just a slight twist or custom feel. Anyways, I will post some pics of mine today or tomorrow to show you. Perhaps, you can show him pics of people with coordinating subways to change his mind. That's what I did!
    ...See More

As good as it gets for now-Finished kitchen minus backsplash

Q

Comments (47)
    senator13; I loved your kitchen all of it. I have been looking for several years for a way to install an apron front sink in my existing laminate countertops. I'm not talking about the Ikea Djomso sink. I've been looking at the Kohler Dickinson. And I was so excited when I came across yours. How did you ensure that the the laminate edges that butt up against the sink are waterproof? Please share any secrets/tricks that made it possible. Also how is it after this amount of time? I have an extremely busy kitchen in a family of 8. Thank you so much, I look forward to hearing from you.
    ...See More

Backsplash done! Kitchen almost finished! Pics

Q

Comments (29)
    Hi Helene, my kitchen is only 11' 4" wide, so I couldn't fit in an island. I kept the peninsula for the added workspace and storage, but removed the larger overhang and stools that we used to have. That gave me more room on the table side for a larger table. I also added the wood hutch piece for more counter space and storage to make up for not having an island. I struggled with where to put the microwave as I didn't want to put it over the range. I decided to put it in an upper microwave cabinet to the right side of the refrigerator. That's the one cabinet I had to have replaced which is why I don't have a picture of it. The microwave that I bought is the GE Spacemaker that you can use countertop or hang under a 12" cabinet. I'm putting it on a shelf. Once the cabinet is installed I'll post pictures of it. Good luck with your kitchen!
    ...See More
  • pluckymama
    15 years ago

WOW! Love your kitchen. The combination of your gorgeous walnut floors and your white cabs with alder island, the marble, the minas soapstone and coffered ceiling is just beautiful! So open and airy and bright. Post more pics when you get a chance. What are you thinking for your backsplash?

• minette99
    15 years ago

Stunning! WOW! Love everything. Your ceiling rocks! I love the combination of soapstone and marble, especially with the white cabinets. Gorgeous, enjoy it!!

• jnjmom
    15 years ago

Yummy!! That ceiling....ahhhh!!!

• loves2cook4six
    15 years ago

pluckmama you made me smile - talk about attention to detail and TKO

alliern - what a gorgeous kitchen. I too love the architectural detail. I wish you many years of enjoyment and happy times in your new home

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Wow! Phenomenal kitchen! And house too I imagine- love the stone fireplace. what?? you dont have a backsplash? LOL I didnt even notice- full of eye candy.

• gglks
    15 years ago

that is stunning. looks like all the magazine pictures i cut out for inspiration! just wait until you have a fire blazing and you are cooking in that kitchen! i love everything about it....

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    15 years ago

It's absolutely beautiful. I love the arches and the ceiling too - they are my favorites! I would love to see a close up of your cabinet hardware. I can't tell from the photos what you have, but they look nice!

• rnest44
    15 years ago

Awesome...didn't you create this while living in NYC and planning a move? I remember thinking as I read that thread how organized you must be and what faith you had to place in the folks creating your new home! You must be so pleased with how it turned out. I love the pendants and arches.

• sedeno77
    15 years ago

fabulous!

• katiekitchen
    15 years ago

Beautiful!! What color are your walls?

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

Simply gorgeous! I remember the countertop installation angst and am glad everything turned out so beautifully. Ditto what everyone else has said about the ceiling and arches. Enjoy your beautiful new house.

• mindstorm
    15 years ago

Now *that* is gorgeous. Love the floors, the cabinets, the windows (gads! but me loves windows!) and the arches are gorgeous; that fireplace is incredible and the views phenomenal. But the ceiling and that amazing white marble slab over the walnut floors & island are stupendous. Brilliant move with that ceiling.

May I ask what paint colors you have on the walls?

• trudymom
    15 years ago

That is one gorgeous kitchen!! Love the island. Everything flows so well together. Congratulations!!

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

Me too! I love your view through all those delicious windows -- mountain living = lucky you! And that ceiling is incredible. I also love the lack of toe-kick on the island ....

I'm so glad you're all out here now. Enjoy!!!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Words fail me. Gorgeous, wonderful...don't seem to do it. Love, love, LOVE the island (definitely one of my all-time favorites)...and the view of the fireplace...and the windows...

• alliern
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WOW! I just got my two older boys off to school and signed onto GW to all of these wonderful comments! What a fantastic way to start the day! Thanks to all of you!

In response to a few questions/comments:

The kitchen/DR walls are BM Titanium
    The Great Room walls are BM Manchester Tan

I absolutely love these two colors at all times of the day. They are both just enough color that you see it but don't focus on it. Catch what I mean?

All of the trim throughout the home is made from MDF. My finish carpenter said that if I had decided to do the coffered box-beam ceiling out of wood, it would've cost 10x's as much! Yikes!

The fireplace is a Quadra Fire FP44. It is gas and has the most incredibly realistic flame that I have seen. I love that I get the look of a real wood-burning FP without the maintenance!

As far as a backsplash is concerned, I was thinking of the following:
    *stainless steel mini-bricks
    * color blend mosaics (blues/greens?)
    * marble subway tiles
    * white subway tiles

Anybody have any opinions on these options? Any other ideas?

Thanks so much for the wonderful comments! I really appreciate it!

• alliern
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Downsy, I used RH's Duluth knobs and pulls in brushed nickel. The knobs are 1.25" and the pulls vary in size depending on the width of the drawers. Hope this link works, I am not the most computer savvy.

Here is a link that might be useful: RH pulls/knobs

• moonkat99
    15 years ago

Stunningly simple elegance! And yet the details are so beautifully done you can just get lost in them. Truly a beautiful kitchen!

This one I want to see when it's in "working" mode, & the life has been added. Please do keep us posted!

• chaimama
    15 years ago

I have been waiting for these....Thank you. I have your kitchen pic printed out when you had the marble installed- now I can have the entire thing. What is the white paint on your cabinets? I have been told the black white kitchen that I want to do it too cold but this kitchen is so warm and inviting.

• gam51
    15 years ago

Wow, wow, wow. That is one beautiful kitchen!! Welcome to Colorado.

• sugarski
    15 years ago

Oh my gosh. GORGEOUS! I am so envious of that ceiling, the gorgeous floor, and the beautiful soapstone. I love your Windsor chairs too. Great work!

• Nicole Valentine
    15 years ago

Absolutely lovely - your ceiling and your windows add just the right amount of drama to the space!!! Movie set worthy!

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

Wow! Really beautiful. Love that stone fireplace!

• happymommy
    15 years ago

Simple, classic, and absolutely freaking gorgeous!!! I LOVE IT!

• booboo60
    15 years ago

I agree with everyone else; it is truly a beautiful, classic kitchen! I can see just a hint of your dining room table and chairs which I think I am trying to find.
    Are those arrowback chairs and a type of farm table?

• morton5
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is so beautiful that I'm afraid to make a backsplash suggestion-- I don't want to mess with such a winner! So, deep breath, my vote is for subways, either white ceramic, or some glass ones with a greyish cast.

Like everyone else, I love the ceiling. The MDF must have weighed a ton! I would guess the beams are not solid, but still, they must be heavy.

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

I LOVE your kitchen so much! You must be thrilled to come home to such a beautiful place and in gorgeous Colorado, too! I think my favorite part is...EVERYTHING! Man, I want to start all over now, or maybe just move in with you. Congrats!

What are your Pendants? Thanks. Enjoy!

• shelayne
    15 years ago

Oooooh, that ceiling is FABULOUS! Just gorgeous! Congrats and ENJOY! :^)

* drooooool *

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Are you a designer or in the artistic field? Or did you manage to hire someone with a wonderful eye? I think what strikes me is the soothing balance of all your elements. The ceiling pops out because you kept the cabinets understated. The island is genius! You have just the right amount of space so that the Alder cabinets seem rooted in the walnut floor, and the marble floats above and is perfect. Somehow you have achieved a perfect combination of negative and positive space. I bet your kitchen will become an inspiration for many GWers for years to come!

• cmwjlw
    15 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful kitchen! We have white custom cabinets with black countertops and have white subway tile (from Lowe's) for the backsplash. They were inexpensive, .22 each, and look great. We went with white grout but I've seen gray and that looks nice too. Please keep us posted!

• alliern
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi! Sorry I haven't responded to some of you sooner...busy week!

Twotogo, the dining room table and chairs that you see in the picture are indeed a farmhouse table and black windsor style chairs. They were built by a guy in Warwick, NY out of old barn wood planks right before I moved to CO last month.

Chaimama, the paint on the white cabinets is BM Simply White...it is also on all the trim in my house and I love it. Not too creamy, not too gray...just right!

mominthedubc, the manufacturer of my pendants is slipping my mind right now, I promise to dig out the info for you soon!

raehelen, I am proud to say that I did not have any help with the design of my kitchen. I am a pediatric RN that enjoys kitchen design as a hobby. Obviously, GW has been a huge inspiration as well as magazines, but I chose everything on my own. Thanks for liking it!!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

You could have a career with your hobby, but it takes a special heart to care for sick children. Such a beautiful kitchen you have designed and each detail has been so perfectly thought out. When you get a chance, I'd love to see some close up pics of your soapstone and other details. Hope you are enjoying Colorado and everyone is adjusting. That is a big move.

• alice462
    15 years ago

Simply stunning! I have followed your progress when you post and this must be a very satisfying end to your project! What a fantastic outcome and I echo what others have said - you have a wonderful eye and have pulled many elements together to create a very pleasing whole! Hope you and your family enjoy this new space and home.

• janefan
    15 years ago

Stunning, stunning, stunning, stunning!!! What a beautiful space--I love all the finishes and the great architectural details--the ceiling especially!

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

Oh wow, it's so hard not to be jealous! That is a gorgeous kitchen! So many things to love! And that ceiling is totally inspiring!

• catsam00
    15 years ago

alliern - your kitchen (and great room) are gorgeous - so classic and crisp but warm at the same time. Can you show more pictures of your dining area? I think it's open to the kitchen area. Correct? Enjoy

• vmilmeis
    15 years ago

You're kitchen is beautiful. I'm doing a very similar palette and in the process of picking exact colors. I'm planning to use Calacatta marble and keep hearing horror stories, but love how it looks. How did you decide to go with marble? Also, did you have your cabinets painted on site or in a shop? Thank you so much for your help.

• sunnny
    15 years ago

Ohh MY your kitchen is stunning. I don't know if this is rude but I'd love to see a sample of the house plan. If it's not appropriate to ask then please forgive me and I'll sneak away with my head tucked under but there is something that speaks to me about what I've seen.
    I'll be dreaming of this kitchen ALL day now!
    Sunny

• starpooh
    15 years ago

Beautiful!
    May I archive your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens Blog? If so then please submit the FKB Category Checklist to give your permission. Thank you!

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchens Category Checklist

• katmandu_2008
    15 years ago

It is really a stunner. It's so similar in color scheme to mine that I just finished but I must say, yours makes me jealous!! Love the fireplace too. If I recall, the first round your island marble was unintentionally polished? Did they hone the same piece in your house or did you go with a new slab? Can't remember how they addressed it. Hope you are very happy there!

• alliern
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Mominthedubc...

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you but the pendants that I used in the kitchen are the mini cargo pendants by Wilmette Lighting...about $112 each. I love the type of light that they give off...crisp and clean.

Sunnny...You can look up other posts of mine on the building a home forum if you would like to see more pics of my house. I don't feel comfortable posting our entire house plans on here. They are custom and were a collaboration between my architect and myself.

• danielle00
    15 years ago

it is fantastic-- I really like your color scheme and layout. your ceiling is also very beautiful.

• cheri127
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is amazing! The marble on your island is the prettiest I've ever seen!

• momorichel
    15 years ago

Wow that is spectacular, congratulations!!

Just for my own personal agenda - do you find that your refrigerator is too far from your stove? I am about to sign off on my cabinet layout tomorrow, and am concerned about that distance...also, does the fridge door when it's open get in the way of people coming into the kitchen? It looks like you have adequate passage between fridge and island - mine's a little tighter - but just wondering.
    Again: what a beautiful job!

• alliern
    Original Author
    15 years ago

momorichel,

To some people, my fridge might be a little far from my stove but, for me, it is not a problem. I don't mind having to walk two or three extra steps. My kitchen in my last house was so tiny that I am relishing all the space in this one!

My aisles are 48" in the "L" so I have plenty of clearance when the fridge door is open for people to get by...the same goes for when my dishwasher is open too. Also, you might be able to see it in the first photo that I posted, my freezer door is actually across from the end of the island and my fridge door actually extends past the end of the island so there is even more than ample room for people to walk by when the door is open.

I say, if you have the available space, take advantage of it! Good luck with your new kitchen!

• momorichel
    15 years ago

Thanks, Allie - we signed off on the layout today (!!) so fridge is staying where we had it, and I think it will be fine. We have less space than you and the aisle is a bit narrower but we think it's workable...Thanks for your encouragement!

• sylace
    15 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen!! It's one of my favorites for sure.
    How big is that island?