SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karen44_2008

Finished White Kitchen -- need help with backsplash PLEASE!

karen44_2008
13 years ago

So, I have posted a handful of times and received much appreciated advice. We have finished, except for the backsplash, and thought I would share my white kitchen and request ideas for backsplash.

We love Oceanside Glass and had decided on a custom blend that utilized the same colors as found in the granite. However, now I'm worried it would be too matchy. So, could I solicit some free advice? It's only that smallish area between fridge and pass-through to dining room.

Also, I need some help with chotchke...any ideas? I am so against clutter, so not much required and have two kids under six, so can't be anything too expensive or valuable ;-)

Thanks,

Karen

High-level details:

Granite: Costa Esmerelda Rose (pic makes rose look different...it's actually more brown, like the cherry floor)

Cabinets: Adelphia Legacy, painted Sherwin Williams Creamy White

Fridge: Jenn-Air 48" built-in

Stovetop: Thermador

Ovens: Electrolux Icon

DW: Miele integrated

Lighting: mostly Tech Lighting, some Hubbardton Forge

Raised Eating Surface: edge grain Cherry custom-made by local carpenter

Comments (32)

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

FAAAA-BU-LOUSSS

I have no suggestions for your backsplash for you, I'm sure you will follow your gut and come up with something incredible. Your kitchen is really great.

Not sure how this idea would work for you, but try a really tall oversized vase (about 24"), clear, good lines, and put some tall sticks in there. They could be red twigs, or curly willow, or maybe even something (horrors) fake from Pier One with some tiny little flowers on the branches. Or check with a local good florist. They might use twigs sometimes in centerpieces and be able to offer you some kind of really interesting brances to use.

Love love love your space, if you do nothing else to it, you will still have a winner.

Here is a link that might be useful: just one example

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I love seeing a white kitchen! (I'm planning one also.) What a beautiful space. The small open shelving for books is a very clever touch. The three pendants over the sink with the cabs above looks very elegant.

Can you tell me the name of the pendants over the island? (I think they're Tech, right?) And are those pulls the Princeton ones like theanimala has? I just adore those. Where did you find those playful stools?

I was so busy looking at how delicious your space is that I completely overlooked the fact that the backsplash was missing! I agree with trying not to be too matchy. Is there a color in the room on the other side of the kitchen sink opening that you could pull in? Or maybe from the room with the carpet that's just visible in your wide shot? I personally love a classic subway tile, but do you want something with more splash?

Gorgeous!

• Related Discussions

Almost Finished Kitchen - Pics - Need Backsplash help

Q

Comments (16)
    Hi all - I started a new thread with a new option that I found. Maybe I should have kept it to one thread...sorry about that... @jjdcl - I did a board too of the white subways from HD. Have not grouted them yet as I was still debating the subways, wanted to wait until I was more committed. will post a pic of that actually @hosenemesis - oh no, you see the seam too? I might put my KA mixer over there to cover it up a bit. One of my contractors is coming by today (he used to install countertops before this gig and will get his professional opinion on the job) before saying anything again to the fabricator. My lesson learned from this is no matter what the granite slabyard tells you or your KD tells you about needing a seam, I am definitely going to wait to finish my kitchen design in the future & discuss with the fabricator to avoid a seam if at all possible. The installer said usually they cut things off at about 110-114 and any longer needs a seam. @catlover5 - I posed another thread with a new idea. will also post the white subway board I made next to the BA @flyingkite - your Azul looks very nice and the tile contrast is much more of what I think I want next to the BA granite
    ...See More

Need help with white kitchen backsplash! Matte or Glossy

Q

Comments (4)
    Just to clarify, matte tiles are as easy to keep clean as glossy. The glaze (liquified glass) is not shiny but the tile is still glazed. I mixed glazed and matte as per an inspiration photo I saw. Again, there is no difference in cleanability or feel. I don't really have an opinion on which glaze you choose, looks wise.
    ...See More

Advice Needed on Kitchen Tile Back-Splash and LVT/LVP Flooring Color

Q

Comments (5)
    Hi Chispa, House is a townhouse built in 1996, trying to modernize the look. As far as decorating style, I like modern/contemporary, nothing too funky. Something that would be cohesive with the rest of the kitchen, and bring the kitchen to life a little. It's very white right now.
    ...See More

Backsplash help decision help needed for my kitchen.

Q

Comments (22)
    I think doing a mix of different white tiles, or a mix of gloss and matte tiles might be easier to harmonize with the other two whites than having an expanse of a single white in the backsplash. These ideas are from Heath Ceramics. A mix of Heath's canvas white and vanilla bean. I don't know if I like this pattern for you, but I like the color mix. This is a dual-glazed tile; part of the tile is glossy and part is matte (I don't know if anyone but Heath does this, but you could mix gloss and matte tiles from someone else for a similar effect)
    ...See More
  • cawaps
    13 years ago

I'm inspired by the upholstery on your stools, and think it would be nice to pick up the circles in the tile. Here's a link to a photo of some round and oval Walker Zanger tiles in blue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Round/oval tiles

• segbrown
    13 years ago

What a pretty house. I'm no help on backsplash, really, just wanted to say that. (Those ovals are coool, though)

• jterrilynn
    13 years ago

Karen44, your kitchen is beautiful! I think you have a lot of choices on what to pick and you will know it when you see it...sorry I'm not much help but you have nice taste. I do like the glass & stone mix of this though http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/kitchen%20picks/?action=view¤t=L-TLVA1000EMP.jpg"; target="_blank">

Could I ask you about your granite? Where does it come from and does it go by other names? I'm seeing things named Dark Estmerelda and Costa Estmerelda online that look nothing like your pretty stone.I originaly wanted a med tone gray but have had no luck and although I do like soapstone and honed Jet Mist they are a little darker than I wanted...love your stone! Wonder if it would go with my glass tile in person?
    http://s1004.photobucket.com/albums/af170/jterrilynn/kitchen%20picks/?action=view¤t=Revecrystileblendcb36cinnamon.jpg"; target="_blank">

• annettacm
    13 years ago

Just curious... which Oceanside Glass did you like that matched the counters? Any way to incorporate that in with another stone to bring in colors from the counter but not overwhelm it with matchy-matchy? I help people do backsplashes in my job, but I am still a novice at finding ideas for kitchens I've only seen online. I'm trying to challenge myself to figure out how some people suggest things without seeing in person the subtle nuances of certain granites. It'll come with experience, I'm sure. Anyway, I'm familiar with Oceanside, so I'd love to know the colors you were thinking of working with.

• karen44_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for such kind words.

beekeeperswife: were you thinking the tall vase for the island and/or the pass-through?

breezygirl: The island pendants are Tech, Mini Echo, in aquamarine. Yes, those are Top Knobs Princetonian pulls. The stools are slipcovered, bar height. I purchased them at walmart.com; they are Bay Trading Couture Covers barstools. The slipcovers I purchased at grandinroad.com, only because this was the only site I found that carried that design. Grandin Road also has the stools but they were cheaper and quicker from walmart.com. I like subway tile too but DH didn't and designer said it was too retro for our space. We really like the idea of iridescent tile but can't come up with color.

cawaps: I like the idea of the circles too. The glass in the transoms (doorways and over the sink) is Bendheim EcoGlass Coral (kinda wavy) so I'm also wondering if I could pull that movement into the backsplash.

jterrilynn: DH and I really like the glass and stone mix and we think it would work also since the adjoining great room has a stone fireplace. We got the granite at Stone Technologies in Woburn, Mass and it was the only place I saw Costa Esmeralda Rose. Looked online, never saw it. Think the guy said it's from Iran, didn't really care for that.

annettacm: The Oceanside colors that matched perfectly were Spruce irid, Cane non-irid, White irid, and Clear matte. We also liked Walker Zanger Rainbow irid, Harvest non-irid, and Amber irid.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

{{!gwi}}
    Marble ovals from glasstilestore if you want to mimic the fabric (great idea). While perusing around; I also saw this which I oddly thought blended all your colors/tones very nicely.

Here is a link that might be useful: tile on ebay

• Susan
    13 years ago

nice job--you kitchen is so pretty!! i love the glass subway tile myself, and think those would look great in your kitchen.

• rhome410
    13 years ago

Gorgeous! I particularly love the lowered counter on the island, thick wood counter, and the inset oven wall. I'm not a big fan if iridescent glass, but could see a regular or textured glass tile...Sort of halfway between the plainness of ceramic subways and the glitz of iridescent. Classic, but with a little extra pizazz.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

I was thinking on the island....you know "drama"

I do love the idea of the circles....the ones remodelfla found are really cool. Check out Daltile's Modern Dimension line too. I know there are some pretty interesting tiles in that group, even cirlces...

geez, here's a terrible photo of the sample board when it was at my house, colors look better in person. And the neat thing about the tile with the circles is that it is not one texture, some parts are gloss, some are matte, it's worth looking at if the colors would work--you could use it as an accent

{{!gwi}}

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Your kitchen is beautiful and so well laid out! Your granite, stools, cabs, and floors are stunning together. I might bring the circles into other accents in the kitchen (dishes, etc.) but I think it would detract from the granite to do the circle tiles (although I think they're great with a different countertop material).

Personally, I have to go against much of the advice on the backsplash being offered because I would want the granite to take centerstage. I would go with a beautiful but calm stone tile--not too small so it wouldn't look busy. Maybe add some small accent tiles (metallic or glass) for just a touch of bling--but not enough to detract from the granite. If it were me, I would probably put bevel-edged glass subways but I understand if DH doesn't like subway. A beautiful frosted glass backsplash would also look lovely.

• sabjimata
    13 years ago

Why don't you just pick one of the Oceanside colors? Actually, I thought the Midori irr looked like a good match with your counters.

Your kitchen is lovely and I am sure whatever you choose will only add to the loveliness!

• karen44_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for more ideas! I'll look into frosted glass. I agree the Midori irr should work, but I fear I'll regret having so much of the same color...granite, backsplash, bar stool slipcovers.

• fleur222
    13 years ago

You have already made so many wonderful choices, I have no business even making suggestions. I will just throw this one idea out there though... do you even need a backsplash? What about paint? It looks like the range has the countertop stone as a backsplash and the sink is open to the next room. Your kitchen has just the right mix of wood and painted creamy white to keep it interesting and warm. Congrats!

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

I keep thinking it would be great to put in something that picks up the warmth from the wood - the floors, the bar counter the wall cabinets, even the cherry accent in the - with the white. If it is mostly a white field it won't be so matchy. If your husband doesn't like subway, you could consider different sizes (the mini or 2x4") or the longer ones - 2 x6" or even 2x8". I am fixated on marble - calcatta in particular can be white with taupe and warm accents, like Carerra with more warm colors added. Walker Zanger (I think :) haa a lovely tumbled smaller subway which is very soft and has the different warm, white and gray tones that might work for you. Here is the Zanger and some other samples I had been looking at that might work for you.

Tumbled Walker Zanger mini-brick

Thinner brick, mostly white marble

2x4" calcatta marble - a little busier than the others, but lots of warm color...you could even do this in a mosaic size

Good luck

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I like this one...

Trikeenantile

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Okay I changed my mind. I like this tile better.
    lol
    Thanks for letting me pester you with ideas.
    ~boxer

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

Clear or light shimmering glass tiles to match the cabs and the pendants.

gorgeous kitchen BTW!

• karen44_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

boxer: I love both! The first one, I just love, period. But, DH doesn't. He would like the second one though.

pharoah: I was thinking the same, but DH thinks we need more color.

Thanks again everyone for taking a peek at our new kitchen.

• houseful
    13 years ago

Sorry, no suggestions for backsplash (decorating challenged). Just want to tell you that your kitchen is gorgeous! The pass-thru is really neat.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

What doesn't DH like about subway tiles? If you can get him to be more specific, it might help you to pick something. I was thinking the same thing as sparklekitty--maybe a subway-like shape (i.e. mini-brick) in a different size. Maybe call it mini-brick and not subway when you talk to him about tile ;) Sometimes men get something stuck in their head for no apparent reason. A different term for what you want might open his mind up a bit.

Your granite is so beautiful that I wouldn't want to detract from it. I am not one that thinks kitchens should be without a backsplash. Spills and splashes are much easier to clean up from tile than from painted drywall. Unless you don't cook much, your BS will get messy. Make sure you let us know what you decide!

• karen_belle
    13 years ago

Karen, can you tell me about your island pendants?

I love the way your kitchen looks - the colors are so quiet and calm - I hope your backsplash follows along in that same mood.

Love the granite - that was one of our favorites, too, when we were looking around.

• karen44_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks houseful. I love the pass-thru too.

breezygirl: You know, I haven't really pushed my husband to explain what he doesn't like about subway tile. At one point very early in the process, I wanted the basic white subway tile and that's when he said he didn't like it. He may not realize all the different ways it can be done. So, I should educate him ;-)

Karen: the island pendants are Tech Lighting, Mini Echo, in aquamarine. You can't really tell from the photos but they have two glass shades, I guess is the right word. The outer is a translucent aquamarine and the inner is an opaque white.

• rcvt
    13 years ago

Ditto what pharaoh said. Put some pops of color in easily changeable tchotchkes. Choose things that have an echo -- via color -- in rooms or spaces near the kitchen. The calm effect you've achieved is nothing to sneeze at!

Nice space. Very nice. Enjoy!

rc

• valmc
    13 years ago

I love your kitchen and everything in it! Sorry I dont have an opinion on backsplash. I am also on this site for tips. everything is beautiful tho! Where did you get your bar stools? love them too

• karen44_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

rcvt: Thank you. Like the idea of pulling in colors from adjoining rooms.

valmc: The stools are slipcovered, bar height. I purchased them at walmart.com; they are Bay Trading Couture Covers barstools. The slipcovers I purchased at grandinroad.com, only because this was the only site I found that carried that fabric. Grandin Road also has the stools but they were quicker from walmart.com.

• redwoodgirl
    13 years ago

I agree about the subways. They give such a simple sophisticated look without detracting from your granite and other design elements. I have a similar color schemed kitchen and DH and I went back and forth about our backsplash. Finally, decided to go with the matching subways (to our cream cabinets) and we LOVE them! Behind our range top we chose to set them vertically and we love how it gives it just a slight twist or custom feel. Anyways, I will post some pics of mine today or tomorrow to show you. Perhaps, you can show him pics of people with coordinating subways to change his mind. That's what I did!

• karen44_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

redwoodgirl: thanks, I look forward to your pics!

• firstmmo
    13 years ago

Turned out gorgeous!!
    I love both of Boxerpups pcis (I love everything she posts), but the second is amazing....if it's the Ann Sacks one, get ready to save a few more pennies. I think it was quite pricey!I looked at it and decided it was too much. I think it would have been $7,000 for my backsplash. But it might be in your budget!

• denisef05
    13 years ago

How about using 4 x 8 white subway tiles as a border with glass mini-subway tiles as a wide band through the middle. Sonoma Tilemakers have beautiful glass mini-subways in all colors.

• karen44_2008
    Original Author
    13 years ago

firsthouse: Thanks for the complimentary post. And, I may be in trouble, 'cause $7000 is definitely not in my budget either! Haven't even priced out the Oceanside, so I may not even have that as a possibility.

denise: I like that idea. Thanks!