SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
erinct_gw

How Do You Pick a Cabinet Style?!?

erinct
13 years ago

We have been in the process of designing our kitchen for years now, but we finally have a cabinet maker we love and we're trying really hard to finalize the remaining details. The problem is that I have no idea how to figure out the cabinet door style (or color for that matter). We know that we want a creamy color for the cabinets and I think the best description for the kitchen style we're trying to achieve is classic and simple. The cabinets will be beaded inset cabinets, and the upper cabinets will be stacked with solid doors on the bottom of the stack and glass on the top. We've always thought we wanted a raised panel door, but I haven't seen many beaded inset cream colored kitchens with a raised panel. Is that an odd combination? Or do you just need to keep the door style simple? Also, we always thought we wanted to do a cream paint with a glaze, but it seems like every time I pick out a kitchen I love the cabinets don't seem to be glazed or perhaps very lightly so. I love the depth of color you can get with a glaze, but I don't think a heavy glaze would fit with the style of our home. I've spent hours going through the finished kitchens blog, and I have binders full of inspiration pictures, but I can't seem to be able to figure out the common elements for those I like or if it's the door style that I like about it. For one, it's hard to see the details of the door in most pictures. Any guidance on how to figure this all out would be much appreciated!

I've tried to include some of my inspiration pictures in this post, to no avail. I can download them to my photobucket account but when I try to access them I get a message that the picture is no longer available. So I apologize for the inconvenience but the best I can do for now is provide an address where they are located. I like both pictures on the first site, and the very first picture on the second -- which seems like a good read for those, like me, who are trying to find the perfect cream color!

http://www.kitchenandresidentialdesign.com/2008/09/heres-what-i-mean-by-good-knock-off.html

http://colourmehappyblog.blogspot.com/2008/11/white-kitchen-cabinets.html

Thanks so much for any help you can provide. I really appreciate the great advice on this site!!!

Comments (12)