SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
victoriajane_gw

evolving kitchen design

victoriajane
15 years ago

As I move through the design phase, a lot of elements that I thought were definites in my vision have turned out to be maybe's or outright rejects. In my "vintage victorian kitchen" thread I discussed how I was trying to maintain a turn of the century style. But now I'm thinking I'd like to emphasize the contrast of the vintage and the modern within the kitchen - a kind of historic kitchen with industrial undertones. Here's what I've changed (remember this is all on paper at the moment but I need to start making final decisions...yesterday):

perimeter cabinets - formerly a combination of black and white cabinetry on the perimeters; now I want all white. Also, formerly beadboard, now simple shaker style

range hood - formerly a cabinet matching black wood hood; switched to a contemporary chimney style stainless steel from vent-a-hood

faucets - formerly victorian-inspired faucets (bridge and two handles;) now commercial-style faucets (particularly the kind with the spring coil.)

lighting - formerly Tiffany-style lighting; now I love the clemson polished nickel and glass pendants from restoration hardware.

And what I'm keeping from original plan:

white perimeter cabinets

pro-style stainless steel appliances

wood floor

subway tile backsplash

black island with white marble countertop

a single free standing stained wood hutch, stepback or hoosier cabinet

And still up for debate:

pressed tin ceiling

cabinet hardware - I found these black and milk-white cup pulls at vandykes that I fell in love with during my black/white phase, but with my change in design I'm considering a move to all polished nickel hardware or alternatively, all clear glass.

soapstone perimeter countertops - I can't believe I'm even considering getting rid of these but I'm seriously considering stainless steel countertops on the perimeter. I love the functionality and simplicity of the stainless steel. However I think the soapstone would go a long way to warming up the space.

Any comments/advice on plan thus far? (any advice regarding the stainless steel/soapstone dilemma would be particularly appreciated.) Is it getting too cold looking? I think I'm just trying to pare down to the essentials in my old age; clutter, even in design, is making me tired.

Comments (7)