SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ken_adrian

are/were you a planner or an evolver?

how did your overall design come to be ...

thumbs up to the drawer-outers.. but i am an evolver ...

i think i start with my lawn mower .. rider and all ... and over a season .. i start to realize where i have trouble mowing.. like around large trees ... so the first thing is large mulch rings around those .... [when i moved to 5 acres.. and spent 6 hours mowing and 5 hours weedwhipping ... PER WEEK... the first summer.. i soon realized that the 'design was going to go heavy towards NEVER pulling that weedwhip out of the barn EVER .. lol .. and after that first summer.. it has sat rusting in my polebarn .. and i got the mowing down to about 2 - 3 hours .... i am not sure.. because i never really do it all at once anymore ..]

then comes other problems with mowing .. and more mulch ...

then start connecting in all those circles.. to make bean-shaped beds..

well.. the next thing you know.. i have all these paths.. and large beds..

and you know what happens next.. road trip for conifers ...

once we have a new bed.. big plants toward the lot line.. or the middle ... a yellow next to a green with a blue on the other side.. trying to space for 10 years .. variegated to mix up solid colors .... [and it looks really weird spacing with one gallon babes ...]

throw in considerations for a spreader/horzontalis ... verticals ... droopers/pendula ...

and dont forget about textures ... one pine .. one abies .. one concolor.. etc ... cant do too many of one together.. texture can get just as monotonous as color ...

and it all just kind of 'evolves' ...

and of course.. dont forget ... the prime specimen in each bed has to die repeatedly ... ruining any particular devious plan ... see any of my references to Chief Joseph or skylands in my z5 ... lol ..

so.. just in plain english.. how did your 'design' evolve ...

and again.. to be clear.. i am not implying/inferring that planners are different .. to each his/her own ... for me.. its just really hard.. to plan ART ... planning is trying to make a SCIENCE out of ART ... and for ME.. thats a no go ...

but then.. is, what i do.. at inception.. really art.. of just digging holes and planting things to fill space ... that ends up art [????] ... and i really dont have an answer for that ... neighbors often say.. mostly just to make conversation .... you CAN plan out a garden for me.. and i am usually dumbfounded as to how i would even make a 'plan' ... its just so foreign to me ....

coffee buzz.. you are going to have to take it from here ...

ken

Comments (22)

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida