SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bee0hio

Statutory rape, does it evolve as a precursor to molestation?

bee0hio
14 years ago

I am interested in a discussion with peoples' insight into, experience with, professional knowledge of, or just an opinion on this topic.

A man was in the Navy in the 1960's. He would have you believe that he lived up to the legend of the "sailor with a girl in every port". He alludes to his shacking up with a 14 year old girl in the south seas. I am guessing he would have been at least age 20-22. He says, "I would've been arrested, if it would have been found out." I am not sure if the arrest would have come by the Navy or by the locals, or perhaps both? But he makes these statements with a good bit of smugness, wink-wink kind of attitude. Bragging, if you will.

I am thinking that it is one thing for a 20 year old Navy guy in a foreign country to have "consensual" (but illegal) sex with a 14 year old girl. (And it is possible that in her culture there were no mores that would condemn him? I don't know.)

But NOW, it is 40 years later. He "knows" it was wrong by our American standard of morality & legality. Yet, he has mentioned this at least twice that I am aware of, in mixed company (i.e. not guys bragging) in front of me, his wife, his daughter, for example. That he would "brag" in this way concerns me. I would think it would be more like the "poor judgment or indiscretions of my youth" or that he would keep it a secret. That he would brag, makes me question, "Is he a pervert?". I have no other reason to question, but my radar is "on" because of this. We all have heard, "I never would have thought that of him" after a child was molested.

I am thinking there could be nothing worse than a man who has zero sexual interest in children to be accused of, or even to be suspected of having this type of "proclivity". On the other hand, I have to question why would he bring this up? Am I making too much of a leap here? I have a dear & vested interest.... This man is the "other grandpa" to my 4 year old granddaughters.

Comments (27)