SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mojomom

Thanks to jlc712's DAT, a plan is evolving, but need your HELP!

mojomom
8 years ago
last modified: 8 years ago

Sorry so long. We are in the process of designing a home in Colorado near a ski resort and this week's DAT provided perfect impetus to hone in on the aesthetic. As a background I used as my inspiration room a room DH and I both really like that has the general proportions of our living area. We love the materials (ceiling planking, beams and fireplace stone (actually we love the entire fireplace walldesign -- we will just switch the open side of the firebox). Ironically although I found this in Houzz, it's in the same town (actually really close to our current vacation home and about a mile away from where we are buikding. However, the decor is a bit too modern for us (esp. DH). We will also be using different windows - in our design the rear wall and left wall will be a wall of windows - probably large double hungs (not sure yet). Anyway, I need the wisdom of this board to check my progress on our evolving plan and suggestions, and even criticism (I'd much rather hear it now, instead of making an expensive mistake). OK, here it goes!

Inspiration room:

Of course our layout is slighly different. Here is a very rough layout of our new living area (more house to the right and below (entry all below the dining area and all is subject to change; we are meeting again with the architect when we are out there next week). Please don't comment on the kitchen layout yet because I cut off part of it and I'll do a separate kitchen post down the road. However, since it is an open plan, feel free to suggest colors and materials.

Now to my mood board design. These are the elements, not necessarily the layout as shown in the plan above. Notes and questions to follow.

Oh, and because of dogs and snow, we are considering wood look porcelain tile. This is the one I am currently considering. It is groutless and come in longer planks than most.

Notes/questions/seeking suggestions.

1. The elements in the bottom left corner are for the dining area. For sentimental reasons and because I like the juxtaposition of formal chippendale style and knotty pine, I want to use my MIL's dining table -- it is a drexel piece in good shape. (Side note: June Cleaver had the same set for a while in "Leave it to Beaver"). But the honey color is hard to work with, so would appreciate any tips to tie it in would be appreciated. I cannot live with the chairs that go with the set, so I thought a plan upholstered parsons would work. I had closed a lighter blue, but DH really likes the indigo.

2. The rug -- it is my aunt's rug, probably about 40 years old, hand knotted wool and I am looking for something very much like it. Please keep your eye out for me and share any suggestions as to how to find.

3. Coffee table -- I won't buy this one because I have a rectangular metal and glass one I like better. This is just a placeholder as is the stone bowl -- but I would love to find that.

4. The fan -- DH and DDOG insist and this is the best I have been able to find. If I have to have a fan, I do like this one (Minka Aire), but am open to suggestions.

5. Artwork above the fireplace -- it's a Gregg Albracht print and it stays, just because I love the composition and feeling. Also DH gave it to me for my 50th BD. http://www.wildhorsegallery.com/largeimage.php?imgID=8&name=Gregg+Albracht

6. We will be buying new couches (sorry jlk, but DH vetoed the blue tufted one) I loved it, but could see how difficult it would be to remove husky fur from the tufts. The one I picked is RH Belgian roll arm, vintage velvet in Fog (kind of matches the dog), also DH will need the dreaded recliner -- probably the leather (RH Vintage Cigar) of the chair shown. But then I will need another smaller occasional chair and think I need a pt least a little pattern. Any thoughts? I am open to any and all suggestions on any of these.

7. Lamps, side table, etc are place holders, open to suggestions.

8. Drapes are RH linen in natural. I have lived with similar drapes in our current house for the last 25 years and they have been great -- I don't think I could live with anything else. Hopefully they will be open most of the time, but there is a stream, step bridge, and free space trail system behind the lot, so I think we will need need them.

9. The TV to the left of the fireplace will be fairly large and needs to be viewed from at east one of the sofas and the recliner.

OK, I think you can see my direction, but any suggestions, additions, other ideas, and even criticism would be greatly appreciated! Because this process is spanning several years -- probably earliest to break ground would be late summer next year, but realistically probably not until 2017.

TIA!

Comments (7)