SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
huango

Need your designing skills: help suggest colors/more? Many pix

huango
12 years ago

Need your designing skills: help suggest colors? Many pictures

I really need your help because I totally lack the designer gene.

Could someone take me on as their pet project, or do you think I should just go to a local designer?

I feel like my kitchen is a long narrow bowling alley or something, totally lacking in character and personality.

For months (years?), I slaved over the layout.

Layout:

Left side by brick fireplace: all fridge, Advantium/wall oven:

Right side: 36" induction cooktop w/ 42" copper hood, hutch houses all-freezer facing French doors:

>

Then onto cabinet choices: I believe I want something like the style and stain of cjc123's inset uppers cherry Cabico and zelmar's mahogany Crown Point.

Perimeter countertop is brushed stainless steel with integrated sink with marine edge (no water dripping off onto wood cabinets or floor).

Cjc123:

Zelmar:

{{gwi:1613677}}

Now here's the start of the dilemmas:

1. I love this beautiful black walnut 3" thick x 36" wide x 108" long butcher block w/ ogee edge for my island top.

Example:

o Problem: I haven't fallen in love with many islands w/ butcher block where there is not a great contrast between the wood color. Ie. Cherry cabinets with light maple, or white cabinets with black walnut.

o So should I have an off-white painted island (to match my far-right hutch)?

o I kinda want to stay away from all white cabinets because I am not a neat-freak, and I wouldd think that the island would get the most wear (w/ 2 kids: 7.5yr, and almost 6yrs, and their future teenager friends).

2. Next problem:

o Too many colors in this kitchen:

X Cherry cabs

X Stainless counter

X White island (and hutch)

X Black walnut BB

X Ooh, do not forget my 42" copper hood

X Wood floor, which is the next problem: what kind/color stain wood?

X Wood beams (like brickton)

Hood is similar style but less shiny/more patina to this example:

Brickton's wood beams:

3. What wood/color for flooring?

o I really do not want wood floor in my kitchen (cleaning and gap/contraction/expansion issues), but there is no other product that I like instead (and no one would let me put in linoleum sheets).

o I am thinking these gorgeous heart pine floor

4. What color wall paint?

5. I do not really like curtains in my kitchen (like little valances). But will I need something for my 12feet of windows? My inspiration was ErikaNH:

6. Besides recessed lighting, I have schoolhouse pendants: one over the sink, 2 over the island (kinda like Erika's)

Gosh, I have not even thought of drawer pulls or faucets (2 for the sink: one for me, and one for DH), stools for the island, rugs, or my keeping room furniture.

Thank you so very much for your help/ideas,

Amanda/Huango

(I am sorry if I do not response very quickly; usual down time is late night).

Comments (13)