SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchen2011_gw

Fridge nook in wall

kitchen2011
12 years ago

Hi -

Renovating my 1935 colonial kitchen and wondering if anyone else has a fridge nook that sits "in" the wall - that is the fridge has wall on both sides. If you have a set up like that I'd love to see pictures of how your above the fridge cabinets and trim work.

The current nook will be expanded to 40" wide which will allow for a 4" broom pullout with a 36" fridge. There will be a cabinet above the fridge as well. I have 100" ceilings and the kitchen will have crown molding throughout that's 3 1/2" tall.

My current thinking is shown here:

In this case, there is trim on both sides of the fridge - the trim on one side would truly be trim and sit against the wall, but on the other side the trim will actually hide/cover the 4" broom pull out. There is a cabinet above that will "sit" on the trim appearing to be 44" wide - will only be 40" interior since that's all the space I have 4" will be fake - you'll open the cabinet and see wall.

Here's another idea:

In this image there's a 36" cabinet with trim left and right going floor to ceiling, in this case I've shown a little "pediment" at the point where the trim comes to the top of the fridge - the idea being that only the portion below the "pediment" would open, but I suppose I could have the whole thing pull out and avoid the need for that.

In either case I'm not sure how this will look with the crown molding that will be throughout the kitchen. If you happen to have crown in your kitchen and a cabinet that sits into the wall, a picture would be so helpful!

Thanks so much.

Comments (21)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations