SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greenandgold_gw

Fridge--side wall or no side wall?

greenandgold
16 years ago

I need your advice on whether or not to order a side wall to go around my refrigerator. I know for sure that I want an upper cabinet so that it wonÂt look like itÂs just plunked in the corner with no home, but I canÂt decide about the side wall.

Here is a computer rendering of an arial view of my kitchen spaceÂnote the drawing is a little off, the wall to the left of the fridge extends past the front of the fridge several feet:

In our slightly remodeled space, the refrigerator will be moved as shown into a small breakfast nook just off the kitchen. We are removing the tiny wall separating the kitchen and the nook to create one room. To help you visualize, here is where the fridge used to be:

You can see the breakfast nook in the background.

HereÂs another computer rendering of the nook once the fridge is in place:

I have been getting conflicting advice from the three contractors who came in for estimates. Two recommended no side wall, one was very much for the side wall.

My concerns are as follows:

1. If I do not have a side wall, will the fridge look like it doesnÂt have a "home?"

2. We have a stainless fridge with black sides. Will the black look too dark against the white cabinets and light wallsÂwould it look better to have the black sides more covered?

3. Our fridge is 33" wide and a future owner might have a wider fridge. I know I could order a wider upper cabinet to accommodate a wider fridge in the future, but how to decide how much wider to make it?

4. The breakfast nook room is really not very big. Overall, it is about 5 ½ feet by 5 ½ feet, so the fridge does take up a bunch of that room. Will having a side wall make it seem like it is overtaking the space?

Also, I seem to remember thoughts people had about depth of the upper cabinet, but now I cannot find those postings. Any advice on that would also be appreciated. Thank you!

Comments (18)