SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
topgun67

Bulging Brick Wall (built 1901) in Brooklyn (side wall)

topgun67
16 years ago

I am a homeowner in Brooklyn, NY - area where many townhomes (brownstones) exist which date back to 1900's.

I have had this home for 2 years. It is a 3 story attached home. 2 Years ago, I renovated the 1st floor and recently I renovated the basement (just as a background info).

Much like most homes here - my home is attached to homes on both sides. On one side, the townhome is identical in height; on the other side, however, there is a 2 story home (shorter) exposing the top 1/3 of my brick home to nature. This side wall is bricks covered by stucco and is the matter for my writing.

There seems to be a bulge on the side of the wall exposed to air - seems to be in the center area (2nd to 3rd floor area) of the side wall. From the roof top (top to bottom view), I see that the stucco where the roof and wall meets is very brittle (I can easily take chunks of stucco off of it with my own hands). It seems to bulge out as the wall gets few feet lower from the roof and then back to "more" normal (pregnant look). I also looked at from my backyard from a ladder (side angle/view), and you see the bulge although you have to look at it very keenly to see the bulge. It isn't so bad that it is readily noticeable.

I had 2 masonry 'contractors' came in for their recommendations.

1 - one said it is very bad and said it needed complete makeover. He asked if I did renovations recently and how the inspector missed the bulge 2 years ago when I bought the place. From my memory - I never til today looked at the side wall, so I am not sure if this is a new problem or if it was always this way when I bought it. As I stated earlier - I did renovate the 1st floor and basement but am not sure how that would impact the bulge. When I balked at not having necessary funds to totally re-do the wall, he said I should at least do re-pointing for $8500. Intent being "stop the bad progression of the bulge" and make sure it doesn't get worse. I wasn't sure how re-pointing would just stop the situation from getting worse.

2 - one said it's not that big a deal but he recommended that I "water proof" the entire side wall with "Terra" (?) coat and re-do some stucco in some areas needed for $2600. He did not think re-pointing would do anything since bricks are covered by stucco all around.

One other general contractor who is a family friend looked at it and said neither of the above proposal would do any good and just leave it alone. He thinks it will be fine for a long time. Thus, I have 3 vastly different advices.

Any experiences out there with old brick homes with this sort of problem?

thank you in advance

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio