SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rfgalea

What do you use your under cabinet lighting for?

rupes
13 years ago

I am in the middle of remodeling my kitchen and right now I am trying to sort out the lighting.

I was going to put in some decent LED under cabinet lighting, recessed lights in the ceiling and perhaps a pendant over the sink. My thought was that I could switch the regular bulbs in the recessed lights for LED's later.

But I am starting to question this. It seems to me that the recessed lighting is the lighting I will use most of the time so I should spend the money on that. If I buy the Cree CR6 LED's (EcoSmart) from HD now I will not need to buy trim for the recessed lights so the difference is about $30 per light.

The thing is I am not sure I understand what under cabinet lights are used for! I have mostly seem people use them for background lighting. Do you actually use your under cabinets lights as task lights? Do you have your ceiling lights on at the same time?

I had thought it would be neat to have all the counters lit with the under counter LED's and only be using 35W but I don't know how practical that is. My sink and about 1/3 of my counter have no cabinets above them. Should I put the ceiling lights over that wall on a separate switch so I can turn them on separately with the under counter lights and have all counters lit? (energy wise this turns out to be a wash)

You can see my current lighting design here

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg102206184682.html

The blue light is a pendant over the sink although I am starting to think this should be another recessed light (moving the ones on either side outwards).

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/advice

Rupert

Comments (18)