SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
athensmomof3_gw

Are my upper cabinets going to be too tall? How tall are yours?

athensmomof3
12 years ago

We have a 10' ceiling in our kitchen. I want the kitchen cabinets brought to the ceiling. Right now, they are drawn with a 6" crown and an apron as the trim above the cabinet, and 2 inches or so between the trim and the top of the inset cabinets. They are two layers of upper cabinets. The first is 14" (door height) and the lower doors are 42 1/4". Does this sound right?

The butler's pantry is drawn with 16" top cabinet and 38" below it (again, double upper cabinets). I think the reason the top cabinet is drawn bigger in there is so there is room for the glass mullions and a sufficient amount of glass . . .

Any thoughts on these proportions? The butler's pantry is just a simple run of cabinets between the kitchen and dining room in a hallway so I don't think they need to match the proportions of the rest of the kitchen. The question is, would it look better to do 16" on the rest of the uppers as well?

These are custom cabinets so he can do anything - which is good and bad because I don't have a good feel for what is standard and what all the pretty kitchens I see on here have!

Comments (2)