SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bobbie46_gw

Please help with floor plan!

13 years ago

Contractor and crew started demo today. I pitched the architect's plan when after many bids it was 3x our budget. We are moving the new kitchen to our old dining room which overlooks the back yard. We are adding 4' to the old laundry room to make a good laundry room and are moving the wall in the old library about 4' to make that room a dining room (on the front of the house). The new kitchen will be about 12 x 18.5". I have drawn cabinets on the west wall which will include the ovens (a gaggenau steam oven and a single electric oven), a refrigerator, landing/working space, a prep sink and an icemaker. I have the island with the cooktop and working space and the north wall with the main sink and DW and more working space. I plan to offset the sink and DW to ensure the person at the cooktop and sink do not obstruct one another. All my other kitchens had cooking against the wall with good hoods but I want to look outside and talk. My husband and I are in our mid 60's and enjoy having our grown children over and all like to cook. But, most of the time, just us. The space for stools is tight and we understand that is a compromise. We are pretty serious cooks in that we make marvelous food but I am past enormous parties...I've read "the Sweeby Test" and how to design a kitchen and done about 5 kitchens over 40 years. I want a cooks kitchen, first cookbooks were Mastering the Art of French Cooking, my mother's Gourmets and River ROad. I like peg board and I wish I could hide my Gaggenau but I can't and it cooks like a dream. Please tell me what you think of the floor plan. I can't/won't change the windows or the width of the room (budget) but I will be happy not to be closeted in the dark old kitchen. I'm posting a photo of the present dining room and my proposed floor plan. Grateful thanks to anyone who tries to help. (I've spent 2 days trying to figure out how to upload the photos.)

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations