SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nan_nan_gw

1926 Galley Kitchen Help

nan-nan
11 years ago

Hello,

Former lurker in need of some help! We are in the process of renovating a 1926 craftsman style home that had been converted to a duplex in the 50's. The main floor apartment contains the former living room at the front, dining room at the back, kitchen to the side of the dining room, and bathroom in a former mudroom behind the kitchen.

The dilemna I have is that the kitchen is quite difficult to lay out well. At the back wall is the door to the bathroom and then beside that door is the only window to the outside. There is no other wall space on that back wall, as it is quite narrow (7'10").

At the opposite end is the basement doorway and the hallway doorway (centre hall leading to front door). There is also a door along one side for the dining room (which is being used as the bedroom. We are not sure if it is best to close that off and have the bedroom accessed through the living room, or close off the living room access and have the bedroom accessed through the kitchen). So, in all, 5 openings in the walls in a space that is only 7'10 wide by 13 '3 long.

I am stumped as to where I can put an eat-in table. I was hoping to do so at the window end, but the window is only 36" wide and I can't block the access to the bathroom.

Any suggestions on what to do? Would a banquette work? Or a small round table?

Also, the work triangle is a challenge. Currently, the fridge is directly in front of the stove. It has French doors, so when the doors open they are not as large as a single doored fridge.

The room had frozen pipes and water damage, so we are ripping up the floors as we speak. The oak floors at the bottom of the layers looks to be in reasonable shape (although needing refinishing). The cabinets may get a facelift or be replaced if they are too badly damaged. They look like late 60's maple plywood construction.

A single 20 year old will be renting this apartment but eventually he might get married and need space for 2.

Budget is a primary consideration, as we have a lot of work to do in the entire house, including a second kitchen reno and 2 bathroom renos. I am going to be checking the local Restore to see if they get any cabinets in.

I would be grateful of any creative ideas you could send my way! Many thanks in advance on this Canadian Thanksgiving Day. :)

Comments (14)