SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
tammy518

Questions Re: Dish drawers/pantries/wine fridges/cabs with chick

tammy518
12 years ago

I've got several questions and thought I'd just put them all in one post.

I'm looking in to possibly getting a single dish drawer. I don't really use a dishwasher much, but I figure I might if I had it in drawer form to where I could run smaller loads. Also, I wouldn't want to remodel a kitchen without some type of dishwasher because of potential resale value down the road. I'm looking for suggestions/thoughts on brand names and what to look for and such. I won't have a huge budget if I do this kitchen remodel, and I know dish drawers are inherently pricey, so I want a "good but not top-of-the-line model." Also, it's a smallish kitchen, and I'm wondering if cabinet drawers/doors can be installed underneath a single dish drawer to maximize storage.

Now on to pantries. If I decide to hold off on the remodel, I will likely have to buy some sort of freestanding pantry, and it will not be able to be really deep. Any recommendations on pantries that might work for me, particularly not expensive ones? Some I've been looking at online are like 19-20" and that may be too deep for the space. Another pantry question I have is: If you have a built-in pantry made out of kitchen cabinets, is it basically made out of upper cabinets? I suppose I could always go that route and buy some affordable upper cabs and put them together and paint or finish them.

Also, I've been looking at slim wine fridges that would fit into a space that has an old trash compactor in it now. The trash compactor is 15" x 34". I've been doing some research online and have come up with four different models that might work. They are by Danby, Edgestar, Whynter and Haier. Any thoughts/problems/suggestions about these brands? Again, these aren't cheap, but I would need to stay within no more than $600, maybe $700 at the most. Also, can canned sodas and canned beers be stored in a wine fridge? I'm not worried about a dual zone for keeping red wines at a lower temperature. I would mainly use it for bottles of white wine and then maybe some cans of soda or beer. Do bottles of champagne fit in most wine fridges? I do like to keep some champagne on hand too.

Also, if I do a full-on remodel, I've thought of a cabinet or two with chicken in the door. Are there any (reasonably priced) cabinet manufacturers that have a chicken wire option? I don't want to do it myself, just buy cabinets that are already outfitted with the chicken wire. I've seen beautiful pictures of Habersham cabs with chicken wire, but I don't even want to THINK about how much those cost. :)

I appreciate any help or suggestions or advice anyone can give.

Comments (2)