SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
artemis78

Franke fireclay v. Kohler cast iron for avoiding broken dishes?

artemis78
13 years ago

I know fireclay vs. cast iron has been debated ad nauseam, but I have a fairly specific question and wondered if those who have one or the other can weigh in.

We are down to two undermount sinks: a Kohler cast iron sink or a Franke fireclay sink. The Franke is the size we want, and the Kohler is a tiny bit smaller than we'd like but completely workable (and slightly cheaper). I know about the pros and cons of cast iron and fireclay as far as the durability of the sink, and know there are tradeoffs to each. We're fine with either from that perspective.

What I'm wondering about is the durability of glasses and dishes that may be dropped in the sink. I know stainless is far more forgiving than either of these materials, but we have stainless now and want a white sink. We've looked at all of the composite materials and will definitely be getting one or the other of these two.

If I drop a dish in the sink, is it going to be more likely to break with fireclay than with cast iron, or is this difference negligible?

If I drop a cast iron pan in the sink (as I've managed to do not once but twice in the last month!) I'm thinking the advantage goes to the cast iron, as far as not chipping---right? Is this any different for Franke fireclay vs. typical fireclay? (They purport to have a different process for firing it, but that may just be marketing---wondered if it actually made much difference.)

Thanks!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths