SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karadelle

Kitchen Appliances 101

16 years ago

I think I've read hundreds if not thousands of postings on various sites . . . now I'm totally confused. Had picked out the following items several months ago but now have questions (since it is now time to actually order) about the following items. . .

DW: Would like 2 in new kitchen. Asko Encore & Miele Excella Question: Does Miele have a food grinder? Interior light? Heated drying? Have had an Asko since 1997, i.e., have never cleaned/scraped plates nor cleaned any filters etc. Of course, not sure of its efficiency since I use the pot scrubber program each time and the cycle goes for 2.5 hours. Dishes/glasses come out perfect - clean & dry - does what you expect a DW to do.

(wall oven - Miele Masterchef 30")

Range: Wolf 30" DF or Lacanche Volnay? (only have room for 36-40 inches) I looked at BlueStar - not sure I need that much BTU and it 'felt' a bit tin-y but so did the La Cornue I looked at at W& Sonoma. Have been cooking on a 9K BTU MagicChef (came with house - prior owners lived through the 1930's depression and were very frugal - took every light bulb w/ them when they moved out) for the past 17 years and learned to cook on it - everything takes so much time. I'm an above average cook - not a great cook but I cook a lot (about 4 hours each day of active cooking - B/L/D) - eat out about 10X a year - make everything from scratch - strawberry, pear, blueberry, quince, etc. jams, baking bread, grow my own herbs, buy heritage pork, etc. Can't seem to find anyone who dislikes their Lacanche eventhough it's not self-cleaning and apparently doesn't keep true oven temp. - seems to be off & people compensate - why would one tolerate this for so much money? Self-cleaning may be something I would like (though I have domestic help that does it). Does the post '2006 Wolf DF have the same problems as the post 2006 AG Wolf?

Frig: Integrated all frig SZ, I think it is TCI something or other - it has 2 drawers on the bottom. I'll have a separate all freezer - not sure which one - Thermador or SZ (not a big concern since we barely keep anything in it - butter, ice & ice cream - go to market 2 to 3X a week to buy fresh). Question: most posts indicate SZ is sub-standard with huge repairs. Again, living with a very old and so small side-by-side frig. that has a mind of its own - sometimes the frig. decides its a freezer and everything - lettuce, milk are frozen. Other times, things go bad early - persumably isn't keeping cold at all. Is the SZ really that bad? What's better & why? - Sorry all the posts that indicate they 'love' their appliances w/o explanation are useless. Oddly enough those that don't usually provide a reason.

Sink: Franke fireclay undermount sink or Kohler enameled cast iron - which wears better, i.e., living with 1922 enameled cast iron (not sure if its Kohler) which has certainly lost its sparkle & has chips - but it's not broken. Is fireclay as strong as enameled cast iron, i.e, with a cast iron pot break it?

Lastly, looking to put stone or porcelain ceramic on the floor since I'm looking at hydro radiant floors though it seems 90+% of kitchens show wood. Why put 'not as hygenic" 'floors that need to stripped & redone" wooden floors in a kitchen? I know its 'softer' on the feet. Other reasons, other than looks?

Thanks so much in advance for all your thoughts/insights. Certainly getting an education in kitchen appliances 101.

Comments (3)