SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mommy2nk

What makes sense for my kitchen?

mommy2nk
11 years ago

Okay, I have quotes coming out of my ears and I really need to narrow it all down. I can get everything I want with 2 cabinet lines: Belmont 1600 with a few pieces from the Belmont 1900 line, and Diamond Cabinets (Dixieline or lowes branch). Everything would be finished side panels on all exposed ends, decorative hood, pull outs, spice racks etc.

I have also received a quote from a Custom Cabinet guy in my area who ended up being someone who goes to the same church as me, small world. His original quote was too high but he reworked it and it is closer to our budget (about $1000 over) The reworked bid basically took out the finished ends leaving them finished but plain and removing a bank of drawers, no spice pull outs etc. It still gives me the decorative hood, he is also modifying the fridge wall to look more built in. I am trying to find a balance in my thoughts about my kitchen. We have a set idea of what we want this whole thing to cost and I think it is feasible. We could certainly increase that budget with no problem but we don't want to nor would putting my "dream" Hampton kitchen make any sense. I do think I have spoiled my idea of what a kitchen should look like and how it should all happen with all the beautiful and amazing kitchens shown on here, total eye candy!

Now, the area I live in is not upscale at all. Our home along with the development I am in would be consider the nicer homes in the area. Ours are newer built 1999 but surrounded by homes from the 70's-80's. There are new developments in the area but up a ways, those are way nicer then ours. I am wondering if I am missing this fact when I envision my kitchen, like how much is to much. I think I am going simple with my door style (shaker) but do I need finished end panels, decorative hood or are these luxuries that don't make sense for our home. I can't figure it out. Budget wise, with the two lines I can have those things with the custom one I would not. Then it's the thought of quality, would I be giving up quality by going with bells and whistles. My husband says anything will be better then what we have, which is so true. I think I just really need a few people to help me sort this out and then I can finally make my decision. What I keep coming back to is, I would love to give the cabinet maker my business but is that holding me back. Had I not found out he was a member of my church would he even still be in the mix, probably not. Is it okay to have my own mini "Hamptonesque" kitchen in my humble home on a budget? I hope I am making sense here and would really love some input on how to process this all.

Thanks so much!

This is a post with my kitchen pictures: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg1015053912578.html

Here is my last post going through ideas about cabinets:http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg102009574174.html?15

Comments (5)