SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
charlikin

Freaking out over bathroom framing

charlikin
15 years ago

I am posting this message in the kitchen forum because there are more people reading and replying here than in the bathroom forum.

I'm having major problems with the framing of my bathroom. It's an old 1948 apartment building with plaster/lathe construction, plus it's fireproof so some of the walls are solid concrete. The kitchen framing looks great so far - they put up these heavy-duty steel beams to support the upper cabinets on one wall. The other wall is concrete, so I'm not sure how they're going to support the uppers (the old cabinets were screwed directly into the wall).

In the bathroom they used a combination of these huge steel beams where the wall opened up, and heavy wood beams on the surface of the concrete walls. I presume this is how they will attach the various types of drywall (greenboard and cement board). The result is that the bathroom becomes about 5-6" smaller in one direction, 3" smaller in the other, and in addition, they lowered the ceiling an additional 3-4" from what it had already been dropped (which was 92"). I saw all this last night and freaked out - it's already a tiny bathroom (5'x8') and they're making it into a shoebox!!!

I left an angry message on my contractor's voicemail last night. He called me back today, and we're supposed to get together and talk about what they've done and then talk to the foreman and see if there are any other options.

Right now I am sick to my stomach. I wish I had never started this project.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022