SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debs3_gw

Radiation and Radon in Granite - Letter I sent to State

debs3
15 years ago

I have been wanting, but hesitant, to post the following letter. A couple of earlier posts gave me encouragement. Here is a letter we sent to California State Senator Leland Yee and Assembly Members Ira Ruskin and Gene Mullin regarding granite being sold with radiation levels that we personally would not choose to have in our home, some one else may be okay with it, but we are not.

It is only a small percentage of the granite that is significantly hot and sometimes the hot areas can be removed. We just need to be told what we are buying. According to the granite yards WE NEED TO ASK, they will not voluntarily tell you. Some of the yards around here are starting to check their granite before they purchase it, but they may still have hot granite in stock to sell.

Thank you for reading and understanding my position, Deb

October 4, 2008

Assemblymember Gene Mullin

1528 South El Camino Real, Suite 302

San Mateo, CA 94402

Dear Assemblymember Mullin,

My husband and I purchased and installed granite countertops in our kitchen that we have been working on for the last 3 years. Then the New York Times did an article in July 2008 about a home owner having to remove their granite kitchen counter tops due to the radiation levels of the granite. I saw pictures of that granite and it looked just like ours. I sent pictures of our granite to the testing scientist, William Llope of Rice University, Houston, TX. He recommended that we have ours tested, which we did. Ours is not as hot as the granite in Houston, but it is still radioactive enough to make us uncomfortable. Two scrap pieces from our slabs, that luckily were not part of our installation, are substantially hotter than the rest of our kitchen and are currently being tested. We did radon testing and the granite is clearly contributing additional radon.

MY BIGGEST CONCERN RIGHT NOW IS:

PLEASE, PLEASE do something to make the dealers selling the stone slabs test and inform their customers of any radioactivity in the product they are buying, so they can make an informed choice.

Don't let other people end up in our situation - worried, stressed, put at risk, and financially hurt.

We are still waiting for a report on our granite from the California Department of Public Health Radiologic Health Branch. Even if our risk turns out to be small, we are not comfortable having this radioactive, radon emitting, granite in our kitchen and wish to have it removed. WE NEVER WOULD HAVE PURCHASED THIS GRANITE HAD WE KNOWN IT WAS RADIOACTIVE. PLEASE MAKE SURE OTHERS HAVE A CHOICE AND PLEASE DO IT RIGHT AWAY. There are plenty of granite choices that are equal to, or only slightly above, background radiation. Last weekend a certified radon tester and I tested granite for gamma radiation in four different granite yards and found granite slabs being sold without warnings with areas of the hot slabs measuring up to 70 times greater than natural background radiation. FOR HEAVEN'S SAKE, WE ARE WARNED BY PROP 65 ABOUT A SCREW IN A KNIFE HANDLE CONTAINING LEAD, WHY NOT NATURAL RADIATION IN GRANITE???

PLEASE HELP OTHER PEOPLE. It is hard bucking the Marble Institute of America who wants to convince us that all granite is safe. Truth is that most of it is, but a small percentage is at the very least questionable and the CONSUMER SHOULD BE INFORMED SO THEY CAN MAKE THE CHOICE TO BRING SOMETHING RADIOACTIVE INTO THEIR HOME, OR NOT.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR ATTENTION,

Comments (101)