SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenswrens

Where at home do you compute? (use laptop, surf net, etc)

jenswrens
11 years ago

What spot in your house do you spend most of your time when you are on the computer? (Ipads don't count because they are so small and mobile and don't come with attached paraphernalia like cords and mice.)

Do you have a dedicated computer-room/study? And if so, are you there right now? Or do you primarily use a laptop, and does it migrate around the house or do you use it in the same place all the time (counter, desk, table, couch, bedroom, etc)?

We spend a lot of time on our laptops when we are home. The problem is that while a laptop suggests portability, our laptops end up parked permanently on the kitchen table, complete with chargers, cords, wireless mice, stacks of bills, piles of papers, and DH's briefcase/bag, which gets dumped under the table as soon as he hits the door in the evening. Clearing the stuff off the table for meals is a huge pain, and we usually end up just pushing it all to the end and eating around it. Ugh! Even though we have a desktop computer in a pseudo-office, we never use it and that room is unpleasant to be in.

We are trying to design a new house to build, and a sticking point is finding a dedicated spot for our "computing." I absolutely do not want it to end up being the kitchen table again. But I feel it needs to be close to the kitchen. I don't want a kitchen "desk" that is cluttered and stares at a wall, because I know we'd never sit there anyway, and it'd just become a secondary dumping ground. I hate visible wires and cords and want to be able to hide the clutter, yet not expect DH to unplug and put things away when he's done, because haha - that'll never happen!

So, where do you do most of your "computing" when you are at home?

Comments (26)