SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lisacent

Critique my kitchen plans please!

lisacent
10 years ago

Hi,

We are putting on an ell addition to our small ranch house and getting a new kitchen with it - yeah! Mainly for price, we are going with an Ikea kitchen. I've used their 3-D planner to map our our new kitchen, but I'd love some feedback on the layout, cabinet placement, and functionality. I've never planned a kitchen before.

Some info . . . the new kitchen will be 19'9" (East-West) by 10'9" (North-South) - so long and narrow. The location of the two entrances on the east and west sides of the kitchen are pretty much set based on other rooms. The large opening on the south wall opens into our dining room. Right now its just a regular door opening but we are going to open it up for a more open feel to the house.

There's no counter top on this plan because we are planning on doing granite with an under-mount sink.

Some questions:
In the current design, I have the dining room wall opening stopping at the edge of the cabinets, but should I open it all the way up to the eastern wall for an even more open feel? I worry that this might compromise the utility of the counter top adjacent to the stove.

Should I have an over the fridge cabinet? Are they useful or too hard to get to?

Feelings about microwaves above the stove? As short person, I find them harder to use and clean then cabinet mounted ones. Those are my two options since I don't like microwaves sucking up counter space.

Where do I put my cookbooks . . . hmmmm? Haven't figured this one out yet.

Location of appliances look good?

Comments (12)