SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elphaba_gw

Had it not been for "experts", what might you have left out?

elphaba_gw
10 years ago

I am definitely not an expert but am the "designer" for my kitchen that is being totally remodeled with move of plumbing, new stove vent installed (wasn't one before), butcher block island with prep sink, cleanup sink along wall beneath new 7ft wide window, Ikea kitchen cabinets, Ikea induction cooktop.

Reason I'm posting is that my biggest fear now is about all the little things and ideas a real kitchen designer brings to the table that I don't know about. My contractor is wonderful but his design skills are basic.

Lots has been mentioned on the forum of course but I would like for anyone who has some feature of their kitchen that they LOVE but they wouldn't have gotten had it not been for the fact that the idea came from their kitchen designer (or an imaginative friend or forum post works too.)

background:
I have been lurking for a few years. Also, I have posted my kitchen layout before and got a few comments - basically I was glad that I didn't get hardly any criticism. Layout pretty standard. I'll post here again. Feel free to comment about layout but we have proceeded far enough so that hardly anything could be changed at this point. New window about to go in to be followed by drywall and electrical finishes such as outlets. Cabinets have been bought and delivered (though could be returned) and not yet assembled.

FYI - Thing I'm most worried about is aisle width - 39 inches on both sides of island (aisle not behind seating) but this is compromise I have made so I could have other stuff (sound familiar), too late too change. Also, I think my new counterdepth french door fridge will be too close too wall on one side so will need to pull it out a bit - that ship has sailed.

Here's a sketch - a few things have changed but this is mostly it. Again, I'm not asking for opinions on layout but if you want to voice them, I won't object and might find useful.

But I would prefer if you take time to post, if you could give me those extra little touches that make your kitchen so wonderful and that an amateur like me would not think of.
For example - I just read about the "air switch" which I plan to get.

And here is whole house since I know how everyone likes to see the context. More on context - two of us over 60, we don't have kids or grandkids but may entertain every once in a while, 4 times a year?
Retired and I love to cook and try exotic new things in the kitchen. I have some disability issues with feet pain so I have tried to make triangle as small as possible. Sketches are mine and I know have some problems here and there. Apologies.

More plans:

-silgranit sinks I learned about here (though I would like drainboard silgranit on island but can't find one that meets my criteria)
- quartz countertop on peripheral counter with butcherblock for island (and waterlox)
-oven under counter across from cleanup sink (we don't eat meat, we will not be baking turkeys)
-lots of counterspace for gadgets: slow cooker(s), dehydrator, pressure cooker, food processor, vitamix, smaller blender, spice grinder, coffee maker, toaster, toaster oven, etc. etc. Store some in lazy susan cabinet probably. Never had a lazy susan cabinet. Microwave in one of the pantries - don't use much.
- not much view out the window so hope to grow vines on outside
- in case it isn't obvious, back door/porch screws up layout but back porch is good place where I store recycles so it is a type of pantry and is handy.
- house is 75 years old, has a pier and beam foundation, I'll include kitchen demolition here too just for fun.

And here is a picture from the Ikea designer (whom I gave my sketches too for ordering cabinets - island looks funny without counter)

Comments (7)