SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karin_mt_2

Embarking on a kitchen resurfacing project

karin_mt
11 years ago

Hi folks,

Let me start by saying how impressed I am with the strong community on this forum. I have been enjoying everyone else's ideas, photos and backsplash dilemmas.

So please indulge me as I introduce our project and ask some questions.

This is a small budget project (by kitchen terms). This work follows on a major remodel of our garage and office. One item of the project crept into the kitchen. We replaced the kitchen window so it matched three new windows nearby. Replacing the kitchen window required ripping out some of the backsplash tile. We decided we'd have some fun and pick out new tile. But all the tiles we liked looked silly with our builder's oak kitchen. Uh oh...

So we sat on it for a few months, gathered our strength, and decided to take the plunge and redo the surfaces of the kitchen. The layout is fine, the cabinet boxes are in great shape and the appliances are OK. No need to get crazy and really rip things out. But our house has a very open plan and as we work through the house and make updates to the furnishings and paint, the parts that are still original are looking kinda bad. OK, maybe not bad but certainly at odds with the contemporary style that we are moving toward.

Some photos:

{{gwi:49497}}

Newly remodeled house - note contemporary styling

{{gwi:49498}}

New kitchen window (the square window farthest to the left) that started us down this slippery slope.

Inside the house, the newly furnished living room that has the style we hope to propagate throughout the house.

And... the existing kitchen in all its oakey glory. :)

Contemporary Kitchen design by San Francisco Architect MH Architects

The Houzz photo that shows where we're heading with the redesign.

Lastly, the materials we have selected so far.

Baltic birch with clear lacquer for the cabinet doors. The new doors will go to the ceiling, will be smooth slabs with no raised panels, and will cover as much of the old cabinet frames as possible. The look we want here is smooth and planar.

Backsplash will be glass tile in a cool green color. The tile is frosted, 3" by 12" and will be stacked vertically as in the photo.

Countertop will be silvery laminate. Believe me, I would love some sort of solid surface countertop but for budget reasons we are just going with laminate. And we really like this silver! It has a zingy energy that we both really like. And the entire countertop will cost $1000.

Two accents will be stone, in Wild Sea. The windowsill under the new window is already Wild Sea. It's awesome! There is a peninsula that is not shown in these photos that has a raised top on it. Sort of like a bar top. This surface will also be Wild Sea.

Flooring will wait until some other time.

Walls will be painted, color TBD.

Simple curtains will be in the fabric shown.

New sink will be Kohler Vault in stainless (cannot wait for that upgrade!)

Hardware will be the same as we have now, although I am twitchy for something even more contemporary.

So - we are pretty far through the decision process. Materials have all been ordered and there is no turning back now. But I would love to know if I am missing something important. Plus I have some questions but my goodness this post has gotten long so I will leave it at this for now.

Thanks for reading!

Karin

Comments (3)