SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eleeny_gw

Newbie seeking help on estimating remodeling project

eleeny
15 years ago

Hi, I've just been browsing this forum for hours and find it so helpful! Now I'm hoping that you all may be able to help me with some specific questions. After months of searching for a move-in ready house and not finding one (can't afford the ones we like and don't like what we can afford), we're considering buying one that needs some updating. However, never having done any remodeling before, I don't know how much effort and money it will take. I'd like to get an idea - just some rough estimates, before making an offer on the house.

I think the "bones" of the house are good - pretty exterior, great lot on cul-de-sac, spacious open floor plan, high ceilings, 4000+ SF, so there's no need to knock down walls or anything "major" like that. Here's the laundry list of what we'll need to do if we buy this house:

- Remodel entire kitchen: new cabinetry (I don't need special orders or exotic woods, but nice modern looking cabinets w/ slide-out shelving and some drawers would be great), granite countertop, new high-end appliances (Gaggenau stove/ovens, warming drawer, Miele DW, 48" built-in fridge/freezer, etc.), The existing layout of the kitchen will remain roughly the same, although the spaces of the current 36" stove and 42" fridge will have to be expanded. The current smaller island will be replaced w/ a large 2-level island.

- Gut and remodel large master bath, 2 regular baths, and 1 half-bath. I'm thinking granite counters, tumbled marble tiles, new sinks, vanities, showers, tubs, fixtures...

- Flooring: resurface existing hardwood floor and replace the kitchen tile & bedroom carpeting w/ new hardwood to match.

- Paint entire house. Replace baseboards, some doors, doorknobs, moldings.

- Redo (not sure how yet) 2 fireplaces that are covered from floor to ceiling w/ ugly green and purple marble tiles (probably was expensive and looked nice back in the day).

- Combine 2 smaller separate walk-in closets into one big master closet (by breaking down the wall in-between). Custom built-in shelving for bedroom closets (lg master closet & 3 smaller closets).

- If budget permits: Move laundry from 1st fl to directly above on 2nd fl. Will need to use half of each of 2 bedroom closets to make the new laundry room and add a door for it.

Well, if you're still w/ me, sorry for the long post! That's it. I'm not looking for anything outrageously expensive or unusual. Except for the high-end kitchen appliances (I'm an avid cook), everything else should just be what typically goes into a very nice modern new house. HOW MUCH DO YOU THINK IT WILL COST, roughly? (This is in Long Island, NY.) Can places like Home Depot Expo do this job well or should I hire custom remodeling people? With no experience and we're not DIYers, do we need an interior designer, a KD, a GC, or an architect? Or is the designer at the kitchen cabinet store good enough? How much more will designers and GCs cost us? Where do I begin to find good people for the job? Alright, thanks so much in advance for your help!

Comments (8)