SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kashmi_gw

Will I Miss It When It's Gone? (Yet Another Sink Question)

kashmi
12 years ago

After reading the pros and cons of different sink configurations here on GW, we are convinced that a large single sink is the way to go for our kitchen upgrade. We need help, however, deciding what type of sink. Let me explain.

We've been consciously paying attention to how we use our current divided sink and have discovered how often we use the middle divider. We don't get much utility out of the two bowls, but that middle divider is quite functional.

For example.

* We place the handles of stock pots on the divider and an edge when filling them with water.

* We place colander handles on the divider and an edge when draining pasta so that pasta cooking water doesn't back up into the colander.

From GardenWeb Photos

* We hook a large mesh strainer on the divider and a side edge for draining rice (which we cook using the Indian method, a la Julie Sahni).

From GardenWeb Photos

* It's easier to wash bread pans (and some other pans) by balancing them on the divider; because of their lip edges, they don't lie flat when placed on their sides.

From GardenWeb Photos

So we are seeking ideas about the style of single sink, and/or accessories, that would serve similar purposes.

The grid that comes with most of these sinks could hold the colander up high enough. But we can't figure out a work around for the mesh strainer -- something we use a lot -- or for washing bread pans (I could just learn to wash them in another way, of course!).

Would one of those sinks with a beveled edge at the top provide a decent ledge for the mesh strainer? OR is there a sink accessory that would accomplish the same goal?

From Kitchen Reno

Has anyone else missed the divider and found ways to compensate for its loss? Again, we will not morn the loss of a second bowl; just the divider.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (23)

• eandhl
    12 years ago

In my last kit I had a 70/30 split bowl and loved it. My present kit is small so I went with one large bowl and I have to say I miss my old sink. That said I know I am in the minority here but so many people that love their big single also have a prep sink. I don't, :(

• athomesewing
    12 years ago

Not so sure about cleaning the bread pans...Have you considered expandable over-the-sink strainers? There are also colanders versions. They straddle the sink -- seems they would solve most of the your issues. How about a Kohler Karbon faucet to make filling the pots while they are on the counter convenient?

Here is a link that might be useful: Example of Stainer

• Related Discussions

Yet another question about tilling

Q

Comments (4)
    Many people simply till to rip up weeds. Often they do it not because it is the best way to deal with the problem but because they have the equipment to do it. Reasons for you not to do it, especially in those beds around the crape myrtle trees and dwarf yaupons, are that you will hurt what is already in the soil like the roots. Mulching can help against the weeds and adding compost will help the soil and new annuals. All this said, I've never been a "professional" gardener so take my advice with plenty of salt. kimmsr, He may or may not want to remove the annuals depending on what they are, if they have gone to seed, and if they are going into the compost pile they will be eventually getting returned to the beds anyway.
    ...See More

missing post...overwinter question..yet another!

Q

Comments (5)
    I cannot think how you would injure the plant. Do you have something specific in mind, that is a specific method that "might" injure a plant? Winter protection is applied when the plant goes dormant and is removed in the spring. You can either (a) surround the plant with chicken wire and top with lots of dried leaves or (b) gently press down with a cardboard until the stems have bent down and you can add weight in the form of rocks (top with leaves). If the bending of stems in that last one is what concerns you, the stems recover quite easily in spring and you are supposed to press down gently not hard and suddendly. Some stems may turn white if one waits too long to remove the cardboard but they recover the color with exposure to the sun. Neither of those things would hurt the plant. Check Hayseedman's thread on overwintering by clicking on the link below. Luis Here is a link that might be useful: overwintering Hydrangea macrophylla winter protection
    ...See More

yet another question - am i supposed to see my vent?

Q

Comments (56)
    Oh I really like the new trim on the vent. For me, not only does it hide the vent but it also finishes things off nicely and looks good with the cabinets.
    ...See More

Yet another “where to end the backsplash” question.

Q

Comments (5)
    Why doesn't he want you to move the light switch? It's soooooo easy! Do it when he's not home and see if he even notices. Schluter is no good when it shows up in a classic kitchen like yours (although it has its place)--definitely find a tile with proper trim pieces--and corner pieces--surely you wanna wrap that corner! And, not to side with DH, but if you DO wrap the corner, it might be better to tile higher than the sill because it might look weird on the non-window side to have a stubby backsplash. I can't see that side so I don't know. I've used Fireclay and Pratt&Larson because they make all the trim pieces you can imagine. There are others of course. The need for trim pieces will limit you, but it's worth it.
    ...See More
  • davidro1
    12 years ago

without a beveled edge, you can still hang things off of the sink rim.
    i think the Kohler Cape Dory sink has a beveled edge too.

definitely yes it is good to hang colanders off the sink rim.

• Liz
    12 years ago

I have a single sink and don't like it. I don't like having to have to put a bowl in the sink for dirty dishes so I can use the rest of tbe sink. When I am preparing a meal where I need to wash veggies and peel shrimp I wish I could have two seprate areas. I also like to wash dishes as I go. I want one bowl for dishes and the other to use while cooking. I hate always having a bowl in the sink for dished. If you have a prep sink it would solve the majority of my complaints.

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

I went with a 70 30 farmhouse and love it. I wanted a single bowl but didn't have room for a separate prep sink. This for me was the best of both worlds. The 70 side is large enough for even the biggest lasagna pan or cookie sheet. I use the 30 side for prepping veggies, etc. And the depth makes me swoon :)

I rarely use a strainer, I mostly use a spider for draining pastas and veggies. No regrets for me, my last sink was an old, shallow 50 50 POS. This one is a dream!

• brianadarnell
    12 years ago

I don't miss my double sink at all! I love the huge single sink. I use the one side for propping up my cutting board while it dries. Even with it in the other side of the sink, it doesn't interfere with washing, prepping, soaking, etc. I put the pasta strainer right over the drain while draining it and I use a bowl for the large mesh strainer while draining beans. No big deal.

• User
    12 years ago

There's no law that says you have to have one large sink and that's it. You can (first choice) do a smaller prep sink closer to the range that will take care of your straining/draining needs. Or you can do the one large single with a smaller sink next to it rather than a single sink with double bowls. Create a "wet zone" rather than just a cleanup or prep zone.

• kashmi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks to all for these replies. The over-the-sink strainer that AtHomeSewing mentions certainly would go a long way toward helping, especially if we could rest the mesh strainer in it. We need the very fine mesh for draining the rice.

Also, what a great excuse for considering the Kohler Karbon!

GreenDesigns: Hmm. Very interesting. I hadn't thought about two sinks next to/near each other. Since things are pretty tight, it doesn't look like we'll have room for a prep sink in a different location. Will have to go back to look at sinks and dimensions with this idea in mind. Intriguing.

CeltinNE: what is a "spider"?

I'm really looking forward to being able to wash half-sheet pans, roasting pans, and the like without getting water all over everywhere!

• cj47
    12 years ago

I have an over-the-sink strainer that's fine meshed enough to rinse rice in. I use it constantly! I went from a double bowl sink to a Blanco supersingle, and I don't miss the old one at all. It's much more versatile than the double bowl was. I keep a small dishpan under the sink for when I want to handwash the wine glasses, but honestly, I rarely even pull it out.
    You can get over the sink collanders in a variety of configurations, from fine to coarse for pasta or washing veggies.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fine mesh over the sink strainer

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I had a cool Kohler sink in the old kitchen that equated to about a 70/30, with a rounded small bowl that was pretty useless. This temporary house kitchen has a 1971 old school, shallow cast iron 50/50. I noticed the other day how, despite my hatred for the 50/50, I use the divider much like you described. I even found myself wondering how I would get used to a single bowl again without the handy divider! ((shudder))

If I somehow survived with an essentially single bowl before, I can do it again. You just adjust. That's all. You get used to it and develop new habits. And maybe a new gadget or two....

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

I typically do not rinse boiled, steamed etc food as it washes out the flavors and nutrients. Especially pasta. IMHO. Maybe chiefneil or someone with more cooking savvy than I can weigh in here. Here is a pic of the spider I have, not mine as it is currently in the dishwasher.

{{!gwi}}

Please let us know what sink you decide on.

• kashmi
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sounds like this old dog will need to adjust and learn some new tricks! Well worth it for easier maneuvering of large items around in the sink.

cj47: I didn't realize there were so many expandable strainer/colander options. Thanks for pointing me in that direction.

CeltinNE: Ah, so that's what a spider is. We have a similar implement that we use for getting ravioli and gnocchi out of the pasta pot. I agree with you about not rinsing pasta or rice -- or steamed anything. We just use the colander to catch pasta as we empty the pasta pot.

The same for the rice as we have come to prefer the Indian method of soaking the rice first and then boiling it for about 4 minutes, then straining off the water and letting the rice sit for about 4 more minutes back in the pan with a towel under the lid to absorb the extra moisture. The result = wonderful individual grains of rice. Sounds like more work than it is.

Oh, wait. I bet you meant that you don't "dump" your pasta out into a colander, but rather lift it out with the spider. Is that what you meant? But then what about the water that would inevitably cling to pasta in shapes like penne that would trap water? Don't you still have to get rid of that or risk watery sauces?

• aliris19
    12 years ago

CJ - Mine practically lives on the sink:

You can buy them at any large grocery store. They're ridiculously overpriced, but very useful so they have you.

Sometimes I've read threads about people ruing the width of the counter around the sink, but I find it a really useful ledge -- not the least reason for which being that I like to hang the colander off it.

Like Greendesigns suggests, I've come to think of my second prep sink as basically, the second bowl of a two-bowl sink. My sinks are just a little further spaced apart than a double bowl. I was skeptical at first - thought two sinks was too profligate, thought the second sink was too close, etc. I am finding that the two sinks are not too close together, as they are, again, essentially like twin bowls. I use both sinks pretty much similarly, including for cleanup, filling, draining.

My second sink is a large silgranite with a built in ledge that has a colander sitting in it. I don't love it though. I'm having a hard time figuring out how to utilize the drain-thing effectively. I'd rather have the removable colander, I think, in exchange for the full, "super" bowl. IMO the silgranite's aren't actually all that giant. YMMV.

It's sabjimata's or trailrunner's giant old gardenshed sinks that I crave. I just noticed in dd's old school's art room is a *great* sink that I really want! It's like sabjimata's. I don't know the dimension of those things, but I would prefer one bigger than the 33" or so of the silgranite. Especially my foreshortened one. BTW, I do love the silgranite material a whole lot. And they have some beautiful split sinks too if you're interested (Blanco).

• aloha2009
    12 years ago

It was good to read what I thought about single bowls and that was a prep sink was typically included.

We currently have a 50/50 and needless to say, we don't like it. The raves about single bowls on GW is overwelming. The more we thought about it, w/o an additional sink, it seemed we would lose something too valuable. The 70/30 sink I think will take care of it (keeping my fingers crossed).

Breezy, how large was the smaller sink on your 70/30. I think our smaller sink will be 10" x 19" which I would anticipate working well.

• Linda
    12 years ago

I also depend on the over the sink collander strainer in my deep, single bowl sink. The problem with the double bowl/different size, is that the garbage disposal isn't always on the side where you need it when you need it!

• jenhp
    12 years ago

I've had this exact thought myself. My whole life, all I ever had was a single sink until moving into my current house 6 years ago. Now I have what would be a 75/25 sink. It has a 21" wide section and a 7" wide section. At first I thought the small sink was useless. But now, I'm noticing all that I do use it for. I often will stand up cookie sheets and cooling racks waiting to be washed leaving the large side clear for washing food. Sometimes it's vice versa with dirty dishes in the big side and room to wash food on the small side, although less often because it is so small, it's uncomfortable to use it that way. When I bought the house it came with a very cold grotty plastic bowl that fits the small sink perfectly. Must have come with the sink. I never used it because it is old, stained, and yucky and I'm not the one who made it that way.

So now I'm wondering if I want a small sink next to my 33" farm sink.

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

Sorry kashmi, I should have clarified. I do use the spider to drain and shake the water off. The design lets the water go back into the pot. What little water is left is starchy pasta water that does not make the sauces watery. If anything it makes the sauces a wee bit thicker. Though I don't know if this method works with freshly made pastas. I love the pic of that strainer. Do you know who makes it? I just don't have one that works well I guess. Hence the spider.

• eandhl
    12 years ago

I was mistaken above my sink that I loved was 60/40. always had a clean "40%" to wash veggies/fruits as well as drain knives, cutting board, 2 cast iron pans and the rare pan that didn't fit in the DW.

• User
    12 years ago

• lazydaisynot
    12 years ago

Haven't read the entire thread but it looks like others beat me to my suggestion anyway -- the expandable strainer that straddles the sink. I have one just Aliris. I put knives and other small items in it to drip dry; set a colander in it when draining things; and, I'll admit, hang a folded dish cloth over one of the expandable legs so it's handy but rather low-profile.

• dalmadarling
    12 years ago

Love to see all of the ideas! I have a single sink right now and am debating on getting a double sink when we do our reno too. I piggy backed on this post, but apprecitate all of the ideas. I think go with the double and love the idea of the 60/40 for veggies, soaking dishes, etc... Keep the ideas coming!

• breenthumb
    12 years ago

I, for one, would miss the middle divider a lot! Not only for hanging a strainer but the over the sink cutting board that is so handy for messy jobs and even serves as extra counter space when needed.

I like to have a usable sink/drain/disposal while one is occupado with things waiting to wash.

Those strainers shown look like they are on double or smaller sinks, but maybe they could be used front to back instead of sideways?

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Aloha--sorry. I just saw your question.

My sink was a Kohler cast iron. I haven't seen it for sale for several months so I think it was discontinued. It looked similar to this Lakefield, except the left bowl was round, not oblong, and was placed towards the back of the sink leaving what can best be described as cast iron counterspace in front of the round bowl.

I said it was 70/30, but really it was probably more like 90/10 because I'm guessing the shallow, round small side had a diameter of about 10". It was a really cool sink, if it didn't have to serve as both cleanup and prep sink. If I had the space and could get the same shape in silgranit instead of cast iron, I'd have bought it in a heartbeat as my prep sink for the new kitchen.

Your small sink is 10" wide? That's pretty narrow. I'm guessing your larger side is big enough for larger prep work when necessary.