SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
northcarolina_gw

Prep sink to stove distance -- 18 inches enough?

northcarolina
12 years ago

I am (I think) finally figuring out a layout that will work with our budget and my tolerance for upheaval; it will keep most of our cabinets and appliances in their current locations. However: I am thinking of adding a prep sink near the range since I currently have to hike across the kitchen with water (about 6.5 feet with a traffic path in between). I can tweak the proposed arrangement a little, but the easiest thing to do would be to keep the existing 18" cabinet next to the range and put a prep sink on the other side of that (replacing an 18" utility cabinet). There is another 18" cab on the opposite side of the range.

Do you all think 18" between prep sink and range is enough space to be useful? (I am cooking for a family of 4 most nights.) I thought it was, but then when I was making ratatouille last night it occurred to me that my piles of veggies plus the cutting board were taking up more than 18". (They were also all the way across the room from the range and I was working around the used dishes, the microwave, coffee pot, and various other things -- so one might say that even 18" clear prep near the range would be an improvement.) I would still have my prep area next to the main sink too, so the 18" wouldn't be all that was available.

Thanks for opinions --

Comments (24)