SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lowspark1

Grocery list on a chalkboard

lowspark
13 years ago

I see this a lot in magazines. A cute chalkboard in the kitchen... with the grocery list written on it. I've always wondered... what use is that?

I mean, when it's time to go to the grocery store, you can't take that chalkboard with you. So then do you transcribe the list onto a piece of paper? And if so, what was the point of putting it up on the board in the first place?

Just "food for thought".

Comments (39)

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

I think.... It is for the maid to write down before she
    goes to market. I don't have a live in housekeeper, nor
    a cleaning lady that would shop but if I did, I might have
    a funky chalkboard for her to copy. Hee Hee

~boxerpups

• kathec
    13 years ago

Good point. Yes, you'd have to transfer it. But, if you're like me, it really helps to write it down as soon as you're out of something. For example, I ran out of ziplock sandwhich bags last week. I never wrote it down, anywhere. I've been to the store at least 2 times since then. I'm still out of ziplocks...

In my defense, I have 3 elementary school aged kids...

Maybe the thing would be to make the chalkboard magnetic. Hang a magnetic notepad for a grocery list and use the CB for notes, what's for dinner, etc. Hmmmm.....

• Related Discussions

Left brain grocery list-audio only

Q

Comments (9)
    I have heard her on the comedy channel on Sirius Radio. Cracks me up everytime! There's another one about "Left-brain people" (I think that's the title) that is hilarious too! Starts out with her saying "A penny for your thoughts," to her husband and somewhere she says "You get what you pay for." lol I'll have to find a link to it... ~Cindy
    ...See More

How Often Do You Shop For Groceries?

Q

Comments (19)
    I have a chalkboard in my kitchen, and a running list is kept there. Even if I forget my paper list, I can usually close my eyes and see the board list. I works really well. Since DH loves to go to the grocery store, I certainly let him. He would stop every day if he could. He is always afraid of missing a good unadvertised sale. I, on the other hand, could live out the rest of my life without shopping at all. I don't like to make decisions, and shopping is full of them. Our freezer stays pretty well stocked, so very rarely do I need to make pot shot runs to the store. Maybe for beer for DH, but that is about it. Trin
    ...See More

Do You Know the Psycology of a Grocery store?

Q

Comments (20)
    And another thing: elevation placement. The stuff they wish to move is placed at eye level (for the lady shopper). Its a little low for the average male. Knick-nacks and items that appeal to kids are on the lower shelves where they can grab and whine. This can backfire, so the more expsnive choclates are on higher shelves out of reach of toddlers. At my local store, they use automatied sprinklers to keep the veggies moist. A few seconds before the sprinklers turn on, a recording of thunder is played with the sound of falling rain to warn shoppers to stand back - the spray is about to begin. Over on the other side of the store are dairy cases. Motion sensors detect when you are nearby and a recording of mooing diary cows begin - that can be anoying. The store is laid out so that people arriving through the main entrance passes by the office. Usually, the owner or a trusted staff member is seated to see you pass by the open office door. They'll say "hello" to each customer as he/she enters the main shopping floor. Music is played over the intercom. Golden Oldies are often selected. In the late afternoon and evening hours whem shoppers are tired, the music selection changes to more lively tunes such as "76 trombones" and marches. This helps to put a bit of spring in tired clinetel's steps and keeps the masses moving.
    ...See More

Do You Shop With a Grocery List?

Q

Comments (41)
    I can't ever remember what I need so I make a list and add to it by writing a text to myself and it goes to my phone. I can then look at it when I'm in the store and see what I need. I like it because I can look back at lists from several previous shopping trips to make sure I've gotten everything on the list. Since i shop so many different places, food co-op, fish market, wine store, grocery, organic foods grocery, TJ's, etc., this makes it easier for me to have it all in one place, so if the co-op is out of oatmeal, I can get it at the organic grocery and will remember to do so since it's on my list.
    ...See More
  • michiganrachel
    13 years ago

I'm going to paint the back ofmy pantry door with chalkboard paint. I think it will be helpful to have a place designated to write down what I need, even if I do need to transcribe. I've tried using a pad of paper, but inevitably I have to tear off a sheet for something else so manliest gets lost. Also, it will always be there so that if dh is going to the store he knows where to look to see what we need.

• momof3kids_pa
    13 years ago

I use my chaulkboard to write down Mon - Sun what we are having each night for dinner. #1 then I don't have the kids asking me "what's for dinner" and #2 I can write my grocery list based on what I need for those meals. I have a separate 'shopping list' notepad thing to jot down things I've ran out of and need, that becomes my grocery list. They have magnetic kinds of these notepads at craft stores and some dollar stores.

• ccoombs1
    13 years ago

That would be really impractical. I keep a small nost pad in my kitchen and as soon as I run out of something, I write it down. My memory isn't quite what it used to be and this helps a lot!

• amysrq
    13 years ago

I used a chalk board in the last kitchen so that my family could take responsibility for the things they wanted/needed. If someone ever started to tell me what they wanted, I could just say, "write it down" instead of stopping whatever I was doing to put it in my list. And, I never came home from the store to hear, "oh, you didn't get me....."

Also, as a visual person who is also inclined to leave my list behind, I always had a visual image of what was on the list and could often remember almost everything, having looked at it over the days.

We have yet to find a chalkboard for this house. They no longer make the one I bought at Sundance years ago. (so sad) The buyers wanted it when we sold. (smarties) I am getting ready to just paint a cabinet door or two with chalkboard paint.

• advertguy2
    13 years ago

Could just take a picture of it with the phone before going to the grocery store rather than re-writing it. It's the chalk dust issue I would have a problem with though.

• pharaoh
    13 years ago

chalkboard = graffiti :)

That is why we have smartphones. Enter it directly into the phone or record your voice into it.

• ideagirl2
    13 years ago

I write the shopping list on a cute-looking little dry erase board that's stuck to the fridge with a magnet, and then I snap a photo of it with my cell phone. That way I take the list with me to the store. A chalkboard would work the exact same way, of course.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

We have a whiteboard on our frig. Family knows to write down things they use up or just suddenly have an urge for--if it's not on the list, it doesn't get bought. Yes, I have to write it down on a piece of paper, but I remember best through writing things down. Even if I end up forgetting my list, I'll remember everything but a couple of items. Taking a picture with my phone wouldn't work as well as I put the stuff in the order I'll find them at the grocery store when I make the list (I'd also have to use my reading glasses if I just took a pic). This system works for us and has put an end to me being asked if I had bought items I was supposed to know about through ESP.

I think the chalkboards look nice, but I don't think I would like the chalk dust.

• pps7
    13 years ago

I have a magnetic chalkboard in my mudroom. I have to write it down as soon I realize we need something. As others have suggested, I take a picture of the list with my iphone when I go to the store. Yes a dry erase board is more practical but I don't like the aesthetics of it.

• marcydc
    13 years ago

Taking a picture! Brilliant! Now I will order one for my blank wall. DH was telling me that I'd forget to write it down. Better yet, i can send my pic to HIS phone and he can stop on the way home :) Beats texting a list to him!

• User
    13 years ago

We have a chalkboard in our pantry, and it works for us. We shop at two different grocery stores and a co-op, and there are things we can only buy at the co-op (which is in the city where I work) or the grocery store that's 40 minutes away. Basics are bought at the local grocery store, but they don't carry grass fed meat, spices we like, seltzer in 2 liter bottles or Nellie and Joe's Lime Juice (to name a few things), those come from the co-op or the other grocery store, so when we're running low on things, we write it down on the board. When mr.sandyponder does the grocery shopping, he consults the board, as do I when I go to the co-op.

We like the visual of seeing it and the opportunity to use it for other things, we have a bad haiku contest occasionally, and sometimes put silly drawings or notes up there. It's a fun little game. And we don't own smartphones, just burners, not only are we far too cheap to spend that kind of dough on a phone, we get very iffy to no reception at our house, so just burners for us.

The CL Chalkboard is in the front of the pic, on the right.

sandyponder

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I have a chalkboard in the kitchen...the last thing I wrote on it is:

Please let me know when I have won the lottery...I need the $$$

• autumngal
    13 years ago

We have a chalkboard wall in the butlers' pantry (between the kitchen and DR). I love it, I put a grocery list on there, the kids school schedules, reminders,then the kids have a huge art/ graffiti zone.

I do end up transcribing the list when I go shopping, but I like to do a more thorough job then what's up there, so it's no stress.

• plllog
    13 years ago

We use those little pads the real estate agents leave at the door. ;) No transcription necessary. :)

• John Liu
    13 years ago

We have a large whiteboard in the kitchen. About 4 feet x 3 feet. The advantage over a chalkboard is that the whiteboard will hold magnets, so you can tack up recipes, lists, articles, receipts, coupons, photographs, print-outs, report cards, kids' drawings, bills, notes to self, random currency, cards, and everything else. The disadvantage is that we only have 2 square inches left to actually write anything. Even with abbreviations, it is hard to fit a whole grocery list, and harder to read it. ''2qstk grdbf tab ptfr pch/abt''. ''Dear, you forgot the petit fours again.''

Remember when people used to put magnets and shopping lists on their refrigerators? That ended when Congress passed the Stainless Steel Appliance Act of 2000*, which required that all new kitchen appliances installed in the US be brushed stainless steel. Most stainless doesn't hold a magnet, of course. What, did you not hear about that law? Why do you think every new refrigerator, range, and oven in this country is stainless steel, silly? I gather the Kitchen Designers' lobby had something to do with it. I know, some appliance stores will sell you a white or (gasp) colored appliance. A knife store will sell you a switchblade, and an, ahem, herbal smoke shop will sell you a bong. That doesn't mean it is legal to use them. You there - you with the aubergine Frenchy surrender-monkey stove - you've got an appointment with the black helicopters.

Personally, I'd prefer a chalkboard to a whiteboard or an non-stainless steel refrigerator. It is neither a clutter magnet nor a federal crime, and it even kind of looks nice. Especially if you have that beautiful loopy handwriting that they use on daily menus in Paris bistros.

* Don't bother looking for this law in the U.S. Code. It is a secret law.

• loves2cook4six
    13 years ago

If you have a smartphone do what we did. I finally convinced dh that if he loaded just ONE app onto his blackberry, it should be this one and he now couldn't live without it.

www.ourgroceries.com

It is a cross platform app so works on my Droid, dh's BB and dd's iPhone.

We also have a computer in the kitchen so whenever anyone uses the last of something they simply go to ourgroceries.com, which is a link right on the dock although you could bookmark it as well, and enter what they want. It's so simple, even my 6 yr old niece can do it.

This has replaced writing it on a pad which ended up awful because no one would throw away the page till every little bit was used up and it's impossible to see what you need when the page is full of scratched out chicken scrawl (we all have horrible writing- lol).

Ourgroceries syncs between all the phones and the computer. If one of us is at the store, someone else can add to the list as the shopper is shopping for those last minute items you find you forgot. You can also watch each item being crossed off as it is purchased.

We also added extra 'shopping lists' for todo's in the house like change the lightbulb, fix the screen etc, and for errands.

Best thing since sliced bread AND IT'S FREE

Here is a link that might be useful: grocery list app

• avesmor
    13 years ago

I use those $1 grocery list pads you can get everywhere these days. The chalkboards are cute, but tearing off a piece of paper is so much easier than cleaning off the chalkboard. I also use the $1 meal planner tablets (same size as the shopping list ones).

I did finally break down and get a smart phone last week. If DH ever lets me have it back, I may look into that app. Right now I'm drooling over the price checker one, and the one that lets you scan in all your "club" keytags. :)

• ponderous1
    13 years ago

My chalkboard is for community input but when it is time to make the paper list, that is for me to do. I don't want everyone building on the same paper list but I do want their input in general of things they want, need, used the last of, etc.

I also like sometimes just to put up a smiley face or a nice note. It is fun and cheerful and that is nice too.

• morgne
    13 years ago

Johliu,

Actually I have a chalkboard that IS magnetic. If we could all go back in time chalkboards, more properly called blackboards, were actually made of large sheets of steel that were then enameled for a number of years. It replaced actual slate as the surface of choice pretty quickly as it became available.

The only reason I know this little tidbit is that I bought one of these black boards for about 80 bucks several years ago from a thrift store. Then discovered I had to rent a truck to move it. Mine is very large 10x6? I believe and required 3 of us to move it. I'm STILL not sure my back has recovered.

The weight made me curious so I went looking for a "what is this really?" explanation and found out that these used to be common in upper end school districts AND you can even get them today. However, mine would cost several thousand dollars so I'm stuck with just the one forever.

BUT I do just love it.

Just to gloat a little mine also has both that eraser lip at the bottom AND the cork board trim that goes across the top with hangers. One of the best buys I ever made.

• pudgybaby
    13 years ago

I bought these decent looking list pads that have a foamy/sticky back that sticks to stainless. They don't leave marks on the fridge. They aren't cheap, but this website often has sales.

Here is a link that might be useful: List pads that stick to stainless

• marcydc
    13 years ago

OK, I like what ponderous1 said and now I want one :) I had a magnetic one from Pottery Barn 2 kitchens ago in a diff house - circa 2000. At that point my kids were too little to write on it and it was around a corner by a little used side door. I left it with that house when we sold :(

Where can I buy one?? A kind of big one - I have a big old blank wall in my kitchen that's probably 8 feet long.

• vampiressrn
    13 years ago

I'm eventually going to put one of my old laptops in the kitchen and then I can print out a list if needed...but the chalkboard is working OK for me now. Great ideas from everyone though.

• sparklekitty
    13 years ago

I really wanted a refrigerator where the regular panels were replaced with chalkboard panels. I loved the function and it was something other than the legally mandated stainless. You can do a search and there are a few companies that make the panels that can replace what you have, depending on your fridge style. But my husband poo-pooed because he doesn't like chalk dust. We have a KA stainless steel fridge that is magnetic, but I just found a link to making your own chalk board panels for the fridge - and you could use magnetic paint. For some reason I just like the old school look of chalk boards so I think I might do this.

Oh yeah, it is NOT for grocery lists - I keep that on a cheap magnetic pad on the fridge - but for a calendar and a quick to do list - and hopefully kid doodles and such.

Here is a link that might be useful: Make your own fridge chalk board panel

• zelmar
    13 years ago

We also have a magnetic chalkboard from PB bought about decade ago. It came in many different sizes with choice of frame. I bought a large one for my ds's room back then. Now I'd like a smaller mag cb for our mudroom but I'm having difficulty finding a source. The more recent cb's at PB are meant to hang from a rail system. I could modify it but I'd prefer to find one in a nice frame like ds has.

If anyone knows of a source for magnetic chalkboards, please let us know! I've heard that blackboard paint is difficult to use but it may be the direction we have to go.

Lowspark, good discussion you got going! The chalk board dilemma has been nagging at me.

Like others, I think my family members are more likely to write down items as they use them up on a chalkboard than paper and pen. Our paper and pen always tend to grow legs and the system doesn't seem to work for long. Chalk would be less versatile and would hopefully stay put.

Also, I'm more likely to notice new items put on a chalkboard than piece of paper. That way if I forget the list or go to a store without pre-planning I will hopefully remember most of the items.

The chalkboard would also be a great place for notes. I have a feeling the magazines felt a grocery list was more appropriate than "gone running. back around 5:30."

johnliu, the way we managed to skirt the SSAA of 2000 was by putting all the stuff that used to be stuck to the fridge on our large metal filing cabinet that's sitting in our dining area (at least until we get around to refinishing the floor and painting the room.) It's as much of an eye sore as our old fridge and I love it. If found out, I'm afraid Congress will attempt to make the Act further reaching.

• ponderous1
    13 years ago

I actually made mine by painting a thin piece of lumber with chalkboard paint and then gluing on a strip of metal at the bottom for a magnet portion. I opted not to just paint metal because I wanted the different materials and textures and such. I then glued the whole thing on to the upper portion of my pantry door. I found a perfect little flat backed galvanized bucket at a flea market to hang on the wall next to it to hold my eraser and chalk. The bucket was $1 and it just made me so happy to find it. It is the simple things...what can I say? lol

• ebean
    13 years ago

@johnliu: i bought a sweet antique-framed magnetic chalkboard for our new kitchen because we were getting a stainless fridge and i would miss being able to hang the soccer schedule and camp photos. imagine my surprise when my brand new whirlpool gold stainless fridge turns out to be magnetic on all the sides!!! front and sides.

• melaska
    13 years ago

Ponderous...love your idea! I may just have to keep this in mind for my pantry door. What color is that on your walls?

What I do is keep a "HOT LIST" in my purse at all times. I just made a list of items I buy all the time according to section of the store. If I forget my list, I have that as a back up.

It's probably about 4"x6" or so, typed, printed & taped onto a piece of cardboard. I used clear packing tape to protect it...you could also laminate it. On the back, I have a list of meals I make most often...you know that brain freeze when you're standing in the store? Yeah...that one. It helps. :)

• mailfox7
    13 years ago

I got mine at Ballards, decorative at first for a wall that had no room for much else. I don't do most of the shopping. DH does. I write things on I find needed. He usually calls me and I can find them there if he hasn't already.
    I also use it to remind family members of appts., since they are of age to drive themselves and I won't be chaffering anymore.
    I've had it in the old kitchen and kept it for the new, however, it is getting harder and harder to find old fashioned chalk!

• ponderous1
    13 years ago

melaska my kitchen paint is Willow #WV34008. It is the Waverly Home Classics section of Valspar signature colors from Lowe's. Thank you for the compliment on my door project. I am a single DIY girl and doing just about everything alone, so it is just a little bit at time for me around my house. :-)

• bethohio3
    13 years ago

My family seems to think that grocery lists are for jokes. If you found "chunky lead" on your shopping list, what would *you* buy?

We used to have a shopping list on our pantry door, but it disappeared some time ago.

I'm going to check out ourgroceries.com--that sounds like a great solution--and my husband will like it!

• melaska
    13 years ago

"Chunky Lead" hmmm...sounds like an ice cream flavor? LOL

ponderous: Thanks for the paint info. I admire your DIY style :)

• pupwhipped
    13 years ago

Chalk Ink could be the answer to your chalk mess problems...see link below. I ordered some but have only used them once so can't completely give a thumbs up. I have nothing to do with this company and even think I first learned about them here on GW. Or it could have been at the "SugarPie Farmhouse" Blog. She has a video review on them. Anyway, you can check them out for yourself and see what you think.

HTH,
    pup

Here is a link that might be useful: Chalk Ink

• lowspark
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well, this DID turn out to be an interesting discussion. So some people do copy the list on the way out the door. Who knew? I do like the idea of the smartphone app, but I don't have one yet... one of these days.

I keep my grocery list on a pad which sits on my eating bar but on the far side - sort of outside the kitchen. My upcoming menu sits there too. (I plan dinners about a week at a time.) It's just me & DH so no problems about the list getting lost but even when my kids were home that wasn't a problem. Maybe it was just the way we operate. Or maybe my kids were afraid if the list got lost they wouldn't get the food they wanted! LOL

• holligator
    13 years ago

My grocery list is one of those OCD things I get teased about, but I love my system and it works great for us. I have a list typed up of everything that we get on an even somewhat regular basis. The list is arranged by section of the store (meats, produce, canned goods, deli, etc.). There is room under each section for "other"--items that are rare for us to buy that come up for a specific recipe.

We keep multiple copies of the list on a clipboard on the kitchen desk at all times (it is even a stainless-look clipboard to "fit" in the kitchen). The grocery list, a supply of pens, and the dogs' cookie jar are the only reasons the desk exists.

When any of us notice something running low, a line is placed next to that item on the list. When we go to the store, we put a check on each line as we find that item. This is the best way I've found to be able to send my husband grocery shopping and actually have him come home with everything I need. It works like a charm.

• melaska
    13 years ago

holligator,

Oh good, another OCD. I posted above about having a "HOT LIST" in my purse at all times. I just made a list of items I buy all the time according to section of the store, clear taped it along with a list on the back of frequently made meals. This helps the brain freeze at the store. If I were truly OCD, I would've laminated it but alas, no laminator. :)

• rookie_2010
    13 years ago

I like this thread, I'm fascinated by "list-makers" because I could never become one, despite my best efforts. However, when I do try to "shape up", I type myself a text message as soon as I run out of something, I save the draft and add to it.
    Then I walk around and read the text while I'm at the store. I stop to check it in the middle of aisles and get in the way of other shoppers, I bump into things with my cart when I try to scroll, keep moving and keep track of the junk my 4 year old tosses in the cart. The other shoppers must think I'm an annoying, serial texter who doesn't care that her kid is stealing and eating grapes from the produce department :)

• abbycat9990
    13 years ago

We started with a magnetic chalkboard (Ikea, see link), but the dust was a bother. Then we found a frosted glass 'board' (also at Ikea) that we mounted to the wall and write on with a dry erase marker. We then transfer the list to paper. We're not a smartphone household, but the apps sound pretty cool.

Here is a link that might be useful: Magnetic chalkboard