SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
karalouise_gw

Completely OT (but I knew you guys would answer, and I need help

karalouise
15 years ago

Sorry this is so OT, would have posted in conversations but didn't think it would get seen and I am so worried and concerned I knew you fine "cyber bff's" would come through. I posted the question on a medical forum but no one has responded.

My 12 year old son came home from school last Wed. complaining that something had bitten him by his ear. I look at the "bite" and immediately suspected a staph infection (or God forbid, MRSA) because it is right where the ear piece from his helmet sits. He practices or has a game 5/6 days a weeks so even though the helmet is frequently lysoled I'm sure it is crawling with germs. I took him to the pediatrician the next morning who said it was "fever blister" but started him on a round of Bactrim "just in case". He did not swab the area to test for MRSA. My gut was telling me this was not fever blister so I kept him home on Thursday and Friday in case it was something worse (did not want to start a medical scare at school). My dermatologist cannot get him in for 2 weeks.

He has been on the antibiotic for 4 days now and it looks worse to me. Do I keep him home again today? Where do I go from here?

I'm really scared and of course thinking "why wouldn't someone in this family have a staph infection??? thats what happens when you wash your dishes in the bath tub for 2 monts:(

Comments (5)