SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ernie_m_gw

Little guy, I never knew ya!

ernie_m
13 years ago

This morning I was out checking my ponds as I do every hour or so when I'm home. I have two, a tiny 50-80 gallon one I just keep plants in. Oh heck, here's a picture!

{{gwi:193929}}

Left pond is plants only, right one has fish. The bridge is over dirt, they are quite separate ponds. Now once again I've found fish in the fishless pond!

Last summer I found 20-30 itty bittie goldfish swimming about in the plant pond.

Huh?

I call the my "Jesus" fish cause it's obvious that Jesus thought I needed more fish so he did that famous fish trick again and popped some in my pond. That, or the fish in the pond made babies and the eggs got carried over in some plants I moved in.

I've got 3 on my desk at work in a little tank, got some to my buddies pond. The rest I wintered over where they were. The remaining fish didn't seem to make it thru the winter as no one was home when I checked the pond this spring, so I drained it and scrubbed it out, filled it, cycled and added the other pond fish while I cleaned the main pond.

So there should be no fish there, right? And if there are, they should be little babies, right?

Sadly there was a death in the pond overnight. I found this little guy floating on the surface:

{{gwi:225732}}

I've never seen him before! I've been looking in there as I have a tadpole living there I think, haven't seen him in a while but frogs take care of themselves. So I've been kneeling at that pond looking deep in the water and not seen that fish.

Plus he's BIG and FAT! He's easily twice the size of the fish living on my desk, who never had a winter hibernation and have been fed everyday for a year now.

I'm confused, but I also feel blessed.

Comments (8)