SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
beachbum_gw

Almost there... traditional but colorful, marble, walnut pics

beachbum
15 years ago

Well I'm finally going to take the plunge and share some pictures and details of my project. I know if I don't do it now, I'll never do it. :)

The value of this web site is that so many people DO share. I just hope that someone can learn something from what I did (good or bad) to help make their own project better. I learned a lot here.

We are a youngish growing family. Our kitchen was new (6 yrs) but the floor plan was strange. This is the main problem we were hoping to correct. I wanted the kids in the kitchen, but out of my work area.

We did not have an eat at island or breakfast room. We decided to trade our walk in pantry for island seating, we also gave up our laundry sink to steal a bit of room from there. Our old island was perpendicular to this one and really shut off our small family room. The kitchen remodel changed things dramatically for the family room as well.

Before I post pictures, let me just say that I too am shocked at how ugly my cabinet color looks in these photos. It is a strange color...but it is not ugly in real life. It is a mustardy green color that is much more subdued than the photos show. The island reads pretty true.

The ceilings are 10 feet. There is about 13 inches of molding at the top of the cabinets. We debated a lot about stacking the cabinets, or doing a faux line but I think that would just be too busy for our small space.

The aisle in my work area is 39" cabinet to cabinet. I worried about this a lot, but so far am loving it! This left....56" I think on the bar stool side. So far it does not feel cramped at all over there either. It does encourage traffic flow to go to that side which is what I wanted.

The ovens and cook top are Electrolux. The cook top is induction. So far I really like it. It is very responsive, can simmer/ keep warm well (unlike the electric I had before). The fridge is Kenmore Elite. We recessed it into the wall to get 3 more inches of clearance. The sink is Franke fireclay. It's ok, but I wish I would have gone with the Shaw. The franke is a bit shallow. I didn't realize it when I ordered. I thought they were the same, but the Franke was $500 cheaper. The faucet is Kohler Vinatta. The pendant lights are by Chinet (HA) if you can't tell they are still paper plates. I was trying to gauge height and size. :)

The marble is just Cararra, nothing fancy. It is just a really pretty lot if I may say so. :) The island top is black walnut. The island is about 103". It seems to fit four bar stools comfortably.

I'm really pleased with how much the pantry holds. The roll outs are very practical and are really working well for us. I had worried about this since I gave up my walk in pantry. But I'm quite happy...I really like it better.

Comments (43)