SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
igloochic

OT Maybe...How to underlight onyx counter top???

igloochic
15 years ago

I'm struggling with a good lighting plan for my honey onyx counter top (ok I'll be honest, it's not in the kitchen...it's our headboard in the master bedroom). It's installed in our bay window and our bed butts up to the edge of it.

I tried just sticking a lamp under it (it's installed at about 3' high) but that just gave me one bright spot above the lamp. I then tried rope lighting, strung around the edges (attached to the support bars) but that only lit the premiters (primreters...primaterays??? ok the outside edges). And I currently have it roped a bit with stick up hooks mounted to the bottom side, but any way I do it I get light spots, not a nice soft glow that highlights the entire piece. I really want to highlight it because it looks like floating clouds...and the view is floating cloads and a lake :)

I wondered today if a plant uplight might work? I was hoping to keep the lighting higher up since I want to use the space for storage, but I can let the storage go for good lighting...so, anyone have underlit onyx and want to share their tips???

Comments (24)