SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

Design Alternatives, Round 2

9 years ago

After much lurking, some posting, and lots of incorporating of thoughts from near and far, we've dropped the notion of stuffing an island into our kitchen and the KD has presented some alternatives for a galley style. I feel like we're moving in the right direction, but I'd welcome GW wisdom on tweaking layout, windows vs. storage, and anything else that's comment-worthy.

The plan is to open the wall between kitchen and dining room (bottom of drawing), bump out the back wall (top of drawing) to make the room a rectangle, and incorporate as much glass as possible in the back door and the wall over the prep sink, which overlooks a deck and garden--maybe a sliding NanaWall sort of window. The room is 19x11, ceilings 9', and the current drawing has 7' between the counters, which is farther than optimal but too narrow for an island. We've bought a 1941 O'Keefe & Merritt stove--bright red with lots of shiny chrome--that'll be front and center.

OPTION 1: Plenty of cabinetry at the stove (with a 36" fridge on the left and 36" pantry/broom closet on the right) and cabinets on the wall opposite, but not much window area opposite the stove.

Maybe get rid of the high cabinets above the windows and run glass all the way up? And/or replace the shelves in the back corner with a window?

OPTION 2: Dramatic range hood with no uppers; more windows opposite but no uppers. Also, nowhere immediate to put dishes from the dishwasher. Am I right to be worried that I'd miss upper cabinets, or would the pantry and two cabinets on the opposite wall suffice?

I'd discussed with the KD a small, maybe 18" wide moveable table that I could put a couple of stools under, but he keeps giving me stools at a counter. We don't eat at the table and stools we have in the kitchen now, so I may dispense with the idea entirely, put cabinets where the KD has stools, and have him make the counters deeper. But I do like the idea of having stools at hand for perching. Decisions, decisions.

And as a further complication, I've developed an unhealthy obsession with these lights, which come in a red that matches the stove, so I have to ponder if/how to fit those in.

http://shophorne.com/content/loft-wall-sconce-d1000x

Sorry for the lengthy post, but the fact that I even know to ask these questions is entirely due to the wonderful folks at GardenWeb.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!